Skip to main content

Full text of "AFU 19811200 APRO Bulletin v29 n12"

See other formats

1982—APRO’S 31st YEAR! 

the apro bulletin 

VOL. 29 


Mr. K. Gosta Rehn 
APRO’s Swedish Representative 


A letter from K. Gosta Rehn in September of this 
year informed APRO that due to failing eyesight he 
must retire as APRO's Swedish representative. Mr. 
Rehn joined APRO in 1957 and furnished the organiza¬ 
tion with the best of the cases he came into contact 
with, and also wrote and published three books on the 
subject of UFOs. A hard-working and diligent re¬ 
searcher, Mr. Rehn approached the UFO subject from 
the point of view afforded by his long practice of the 
law. Gus (as he is known by his friends) lived in the 
United States for several years early in his career 
where he attended and graduated from Fordham 

Gus has an excellent command of the English lan¬ 
guage, which made his contact with APRO Headquar¬ 
ters very convenient from the standpoint of the staff. 
Although he has named his successor, his retirement is 
difficult for us to accept. He will continue to receive 
the Bulletin which we can only hope that friends will 
find time to read to him, as he retains his very lively 
interest in the subject of UFOs. Gus passed his 92nd 
(ninety-second) birthday last spring, and we hope that 
he enjoys many more. 


NO. 12 


At about 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, July 25, 
1981, Mrs. Hjordis Hokstad, of Lanke, Hell/St Jordal, 
Norway, was sitting at the kitchen table drinking a 
cup of coffee and occasionally looking out the window 
up to the fields where she had, on occasion, spotted 
roe deer from time to time. 

During one of her glances, she noticed something 
gleaming in the sun and for a moment thought it was 
a metal plate of some kind. It appeared to be behind 
some bushes about 250-300 meters (270-325 yards) 
away in the fields to the southwest of her. 


At this point, Mrs. Hokstad caught sight of a 
“man” walking up the meadow, close to the object. He 
appeared to her to be quite small and dressed in a 
greyish-brown “boiler suit” which also seemed to cover 
his head —in the same way as the “hood of an anorak” 
(anorak is an Eskimo word for a heavy jacket with a 
hood, commonly worn by people in cold northern cli¬ 
mates—the Editor). Her only view of the man was 
from behind, as he proceeded in a “rolling” walk up 
the meadow. 

Mrs. Hokstad’s attention was suddenly diverted to 
the object, for it began to move. It rose slowly 
straight up from the ground and when she glanced 
back to the “man” he was gone. 

The object then began to move up in a slanting tro- 
jectory toward the northeast. She got her 12x50 binoc¬ 
ulars and stepped outside to get a better look at it as 
it came steadily and silently toward her, over the 
house, steadily rising until it disappeared from sight in 
the northeastern sky. It should be noted here that 
there was a marked increase in acceleration after the 
object passed above the Hokstad house. 


The following description of the object is what Mrs. 
Hokstad observed through the binoculars. The shape 
was of a cylinder with a “globe” on the top, the 
diameter of which was slightly larger than the appar¬ 
ent diameter of the cylinder. From the bottom of the 
cylinder, a metallic bar protruded, which appeared to 
be approximately as long as the main body (cylinder). 
There was also a red mark or “plate” on the top of the 
cylinder in the general shape of a heart and Mrs. Hok- 



VOL. 29, NO. 12 

Copyright © 1981 by the 

3910 E. Kleindale Road 
Tucson, Arizona 85712 
Phone: 602-323-1825 and 602-323-7363 
Coral E. Lorenzen, Editor 
Richard Heiden, Ass't Editor 
Brian James, Lance P. Johnson, 

Robert Gonzales, Artists 


International Director.L.J. Lorenzen 

Director of Research.James A. Harder, Ph.D. 

Secretary-Treasurer.Coral E. Lorenzen 

Membership Secretary .Madeleine H. Cooper 

THE A.P.R.O. BULLETIN is the official copyrighted publication 
of the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization, Inc., (A.P.R.O.), 
3910 E. Kleindale Rd., Tucson, Arizona 85712, and is issued every 
month to members and subscribers. The Aerial Phenomena 
Research Organization, Inc., a non-profit corporation established 
under the laws of the State of Arizona and a federally recognized 
scientific and educational tax-exempt organization is dedicated to 
the eventual solution of the phenomenon of unidentified flying 
objects. Inquiries pertaining to membership and subscription may 
be made to the above address. 


United States.$15.00/yr. 

Canada & Mexico.$16.00/yr. 

(Canadian Currency will be accepted) 

All other Countries.$18.00/yr. 

Air Mail Overseas.$21.00/yr. 

Newswires, newspapers, radio and television stations may quote up 
to 250 words from this publication provided that the Aerial 
Phenomena Research Organization, Inc. (or A.P.R.O.), Tucson, 
Arizona, is given as the source. Written permission of the Editor 
must be obtained for quotes in excess of 250 words. 

Published December, 1981 


Object in Norway 

(Continued from Page 1) 

stad thought there were some marks or symbols on 
this mark but could not be certain, and could not 
discern, what, exactly, they were. 


This case was investigated by the Norwegian Insti¬ 
tute for Scientific Research and Information (NIVFO). 
The following are additional details and their findings: 

All the other people in the Hokstad household were 
still sleeping and there was not enough time to watch 
the object and alert others, so Mrs. Hokstad did not 
obtain additional witnesses. She reported the incident 
to the local newspaper, “St. Jordalens Blad” and a 
local broadcasting company called NIVFO for their 

On-site investigations revealed no abnormal radia¬ 
tion; a geiger counter was used to measure same. Al¬ 
though the tops of some small aspen -shrubs were 
blackened as if exposed to intense heat and carbonized, 

as well as some larger ones (5-6 feet tall), NIVFO 
officers hestitated to attribute the blackening to a 
UFO effect. Somewhat nebulous ground markings 
found under the grass where the object was first seen 
behind the shrubs, cannot be positively linked to the 
sighting, either. 

Only one other detail adds to the initial report. On a 
farm adjacent to the Hokstadt acreage, some heifers 
.{young cows) had been restless at about the time Mrs. 
Hokstad was viewing the object. They had not exhib¬ 
ited such behavior before nor have they since. 

Mrs. Hockstad is known as a serious, honest indi¬ 
vidual who had had no interest in UFOs prior to her 
experience. NIVFO has concluded, after ruling out 
such mundane objects as aircraft and balloons, and 
astronomical and atmospheric phenomena, that the 
object can be classified as a UFO. 

Our thanks to Mr. Anton Lidstrom for his transla¬ 
tion of the report from the Norwegian to English. 


UFO Reports and 
Public Health Panic 

By Robert F. Creegan t Ph.D . 

On my return from a recent trip to Princeton I 
stopped at Wanaque, New Jersey, motored around the 
famous reservoir, and interviewed some townspeople 
and security personnel. As a result I am able to offer a 
new hypothesis about alleged fear of panic as a 
motivation for the cover-up of official UFO report 
investigations and findings. 

That fear of public alarm is one reason for cover-up 
is not a new idea, but the precise kind of alarm which 
is to be avoided has never been made clear. Wanaque 
is subject to heavy security, chiefly in order to protect 
the water supply of a populous area on the fringes of 
the metropolitan area, and UFO reports of objects 
over, upon or beneath the surface have evoked quick 
responses. Incidentally, I learned that reports have 
been sporadic over the years, though local people have 
become used to them and they receive less publicity 
than a decade or so ago. 

There have been many reports of the questioning of 
citizens and reservoir employees by outsiders, some of 
whom have had unusual credentials, or none at all. 
There have even been a few of the notorious “Men in 
Black” stories, but rumors which are current locally 
are of a much less melodramatic character and will 
seem dull in comparison, yet provide food for thought. 
Some of the interested outsiders appear to be repre¬ 
sentatives of the department of health and to come 
from state offices rather than being mysterious federal 

VOL. 29. NO. 12 



I shall want to check on these rumors, of course, but 
they do have a certain initial plausibility and I would 
not be greatly surprised if we could nail them down 
one way or the other. One recalls the extreme caution 
with which the medical community viewed the frag¬ 
ments of rock brought back from the moon by the 
American astronauts. Those were not put on public 
display until after thorough microscopic examination 
and severe fumigation. Any possible alien matter in a 
public water supply might well arouse even greater 
concern, and the sheer possibility might agitate the 
public consumers of the waters in question. Hence one 
might expect an investigation and that reasonable 
efforts would be made to conduct it as quietly as 

Again, let me repeat that these ideas are specula¬ 
tions based upon nothing stronger than local rumors in 
the town and at the facility, but their reasonable char¬ 
acter is such that UFO investigators probably should 
look into the matter. It may help answer questions 
about what kinds of panic might be associated with 
UFO reports, and motivate official silence about 
studies which quite properly were made by health 




On October 17 and 18, 1981, APRO set up and 
manned an exhibit of photos, books, models of UFOs 
and “aliens” (based on descriptions of witnesses) and a 
constantly running videotape of UFO photographs 
with running commentary. The exhibit was located at 
Park Mall, the largest shopping mall in Tucson. 

The exhibit, originally conceived by Anne Bletch- 
man, local member and wife of Board of Directors 
member Sherman Bletchman, was a huge success and 
was constantly attended by a stream of shoppers. On 
hand to sell books, pamphlets, Bulletins, Symposia 
proceedures and to answer questions in general, were 
Mr. and Mrs. Sherman Bletchman, Mr. Bob Dean, 
Mr. Jim McCoy, Miss Vikki Davis, Miss Evelyn 
Thompson, Miss Patti Morris, Mr. Martin Bader, Mr. 
Robert Marsland and Mr. and Mrs. Jim Lorenzen. 

Additional exhibits are planned for other malls in 
Tucson and surrounding areas. Proceeds from the 
Park Mall exhibit go into the APRO general treasury 

to help in our on-going battle against inflation. 



Send Address Changes! 

Miss Patti Morris , Mr. L.J. Lorenzen , APRO's 
Director , and Jim McCoy , member of APRO's Board 
of Directors , stand before one of the several signs 
which were a part of the Park Mall exhibit in Tucson 
on October 17th and 18th. 


On Saturday, October 24th, APRO Sponsored 
author William E. Moore (“The Roswell Incident”) in 
a public lecture at the Marriott Inn Downtown. The 
lecture, which also featured a showing of the 
videotaped film “Flying Saucers are Real,” ran from 
2:30 to 5:00 p.m. and was attended by approximately 
125 people. It was a part of the planning and efforts of 
the Board of Directors and the local mambership to 
supplement APRO’s income which consists mainly of 
membership dues and sale of back issues of the 



By Bill Chalker and Keith Basterfield 
(Mr. Chalker is APRO's Representative and 
Mr. Basterfield an APRO Field Investigator for 

A spectacular UFO-related physical trace event oc¬ 
curred during the early hours of September 30th, 1980, 



VOL. 29, NO. 12 

on a 600-acre property, some 8 kilometres (about V 2 
mile) from Rosedale and 19 kilometres (over 1 mile) 
west of Sale, Victoria. Preliminary details only have 
been supplied as the case is still under investigation. 
Throughout the report imperial measure is retained, as 
the witness always expressed himself in these terms. 

Mr. George Blackwell, 54, farm hand and care taker 
of the “White-Acres” property was awakened at 0100 
hours (daylight saving time) by disturbances among 
the stock and a strange screeching whistling noise. 
Cattle were bellowing and a horse was running around 
in a state of panic. The witness went out to investi¬ 
gate. It was a clear, mild and still moonlit night 
(waning gibbous moon: full moon September 24th, last 
quarter October 1st). 

From up on the back veranda rail, the witness saw 
an aerial object appear between a Cyprus hedge and 
shed, some 500 feet or more from his position. As it 
emerged into clear view it appeared to be a domed 
object with a white top, moving at about 8 feet above 
the paddock. 

The witness at first thought it was a plane about to 
crash, but soon realized that the object had neither 
wings nor tail. He could now make out orange and 
blue lights on its surface and estimated its diameter at 
about 26 feet. Later developments led to a more accu¬ 
rate estimate of 28 feet. Its height was near 15 feet. 

The object continued to move over the property, 
passing a hay shed and then appearing to head toward 
an open concrete 10,000 gallon water tank, about a 
quarter of a mile from the house. The percipient indi¬ 
cated that the object appeared to rise as it approached 
the tank and then appeared to either hover immedi¬ 
ately above or rest on top of the tank for about a min¬ 
ute. The object’s passage from the point at which it 
was first observed near the house to the tank area also 
took about a minute. 

The UFO then appeared to rise up several feet and 
seemed to drift off and land on the ground, some 50 
feet to the north of the tank. 

With the welfare of the stock in mind, the witness 
went inside to change and within 5 minutes or so had 
ridden on his motorcycle up to the paddock where the 
object had landed. 

A whistling noise continued to be heard and the 
object was in sight all the time as the witness rode up 
to it. As he neared it, an odd sensation overcame him, 
which he could only describe as feeling “like Tt plate of 

Mr. Blackwell stopped his bike between 30 and 50 
feet from the object. At no stage was there any effect 
on the bike. The witness could now see the object 

It seemed to consist of two sections—a white dome 
on top and a larger orange section underneath. Around 
this bottom section there appeared to be circular 
windows or lights, estimated to be about 10 feet apart 

and approximately 7 inches in diameter. These seemed 
to give the impression that both parts were rotating in 
a counter-clockwise direction. It seemed to stay on the 
ground for about 2 to 3 minutes. 

Suddenly, the noise level increased to “an awful 
scream”, like a jet engine reversing for landing. The 
witness had to place his hands over his ears. Some¬ 
thing like a black tube appeared around the base of the 
object, and this seemed to inflate to a tremendous size, 
just beyond the diameter of the object. There was a 
tremendous bang, and the object lifted up and gradu¬ 
ally rolled out off the landing site, reaching a height of 
about 8 to 10 feet. 

The witness was almost knocked off his bike with a 
blast of hot air. The bike’s headlight illuminated the 
base of the object as it moved away enabling the 
percipient to observe that the black “tube” seemed to 
be deflating towards the centre of the base. Also 
around the rim of the base were 6 evenly spaced 
“spokes” or V-shaped things. 

At about 30 feet out from the landing site, and at an 
altitude of 8 to 10 feet, the object fell silent. It was 
then that the witness saw material falling away from 
the base of the object. This debris largely consisted of 
stones, cape-weed and cow paddies (dung). 

The witness then rode straight onto the landing site 
and watched, stunned, as the object traveled off in an 
easterly direction, never higher than about 100 feet. It 
grew gradually smaller and smaller until it was lost to 

Around him in the moonlight, the witness was able 
to make out a ring of “black” flattened grass, some 30 
feet across. 

Stunned, he was eventually able to somehow ride 
back to the house. Inside he noticed on the clock that 
the time was 0150 hours. After a cup of coffee, the 
witness found that his wrist watch had stopped at 
0110. It restarted after a few minutes when he lay it 
down, but it stopped whenever he put it on. The prob¬ 
lem persisted for about 3 days. 

Unable to sleep properly, the witness rose early. He 
made his way down to the paddock where he had seen 
the object land during the night. With daylight, he 
found the ring standing out quite clearly in the pad- 
dock. The paddock was a blanket of yellow flowers, 
but at the landing site, the ring was near black or 
brown in colour—consisting of grass flattened in a 
counter-clockwise manner, to a width of 18 inches. 
Inside the ring was only green grass. The yellow 
flowers had been removed. The total diameter of the 
site was 28 feet. Evenly spaced within the ring were 6 
“spokes” of relatively undamaged grass. In a definite 
path leading out of the site to the east was debris, 
ostensibly seen falling from the object during its de¬ 
parture the night before. 

Later that morning, the owner of the property came 
by and together they inspected the site.* The owner 

VOL. 29, NO. 12 



reported the incident to the local newspaper and an 
account of the event appeared on the front page of the 
“Gippsland Times”, of October 1st, 1980, under the 
headline: “KILMANY MAN SEES UFO.” Many 
inspections followed, including one about 2 weeks after 
the event by Paul Norman (VUFORS vice-president) 
and an associate, Pat Gildea. It is hoped a detailed 
report of their inquiries will be available shortly. A 
short report on their investigation was published in the 
December, 1980, issue of the VUFORS Bulletin, under 
the title—“The White-Acres Encounter.” 

Bill Chalker (Australian representative for APRO), 
together with Keith Basterfield and Garry Little 
(private investigator) conducted an on-site investiga¬ 
tion of the incident during December, 1980. Although 
he had received visits from all sorts of people, Mr. 
Blackwell graciously provided an in-depth report of his 
experience. Soil and rock samples were taken for 
analysis by the Australian Centre for UFO study 

An extensive report is currently being prepared, as 
in total the event involves many extraordinary ele¬ 
ments, including a one-witness close encounter, a 
UFO-correlated physical ground trace, effects on the 
witness (headaches, nausea, etc.) and his watch, other 
trace effects, effects on stock, the disappearance of 
about 10,000 gallons of water from the tank, and pos¬ 
sible secondary witnesses. 

Further ostensibly unusual events have been re¬ 
ported or have come to light in the Gippsland area of 
Victoria, in the few months that followed the event. 
These included further reports of ground “traces”, 
UFO reports and water losses. Understandably it will 
be some time before the status of these events can be 
finally established. 

At face value, the Rosedale landing appears to be 
one of the best UFO cases to have come out of Aus¬ 
tralia. Investigations are continuing. Details will be 
documented in due course and forwarded for 

Notes: VUFORS—Victorian UFO Research Society, 
P.O. Box 43, Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia, 3189 

♦ * * ♦ ♦ 


By Doris and Joe Graziano 

(Our first report is continued from Issue No. 11) 

Both said the object was tilted up toward them and 
Chrystal said it was elliptical in shape. Chris said he 
could see “three orange lights on the bottom, and 
stripes.” “There were two bars hanging down from it 

that joined to form a triangle. It glowed, and it didn't 
make a sound.” 

The object seemed to follow the car, going the same 
speed as the car. Chris pressed the accelerator to try 
and catch up to the traffic ahead of them, but the car 
“wouldn’t gain power.” The object followed them for 
about 10 minutes, then it disappeared and the car re¬ 
gained speed. 

The next day they discovered that the dash and tail 
lights had gone out. They took the car to a garage 
where it was found that a fuse had blown. “The man 
at the garage was puzzled because only one fuse had 
blown,” Chrystal said. “Usually they go together.” 

Both Chrystal and Chris are watercolor artists and 
they each painted a picture of what they saw that 
night. In Chrystal's picture, the object hovers just 
behind some trees and looks elliptical in shape. Chris’s 
painting is more detailed, showing 3 lights and stripes 
on the underside of the object. 

NORTH CAROLINA, July 24, 1981 - Scotland 
Neck - Deputy Joe Williams of the Halifax County 
Sheriff’s Department was patrolling near Moonlight 
around 10:15 p.m. when he saviT“a real bright, intense 
light that just glided down real slowly.” He watched 
the greenish-white light descend until the trees blocked 
his view. 

Soon after Williams spotted the light, about 25 or 30 
law enforcement officers and a plane conducted a 
search of the area for a possible downed aircraft. All 
people in the Scotland Neck area who own aircraft 
were contacted and found to be at home. The Civil Air 
Patrol picked up the search at 1 a.m. and resumed it 
after daybreak, but nothing was found. 

Several others saw the light descend, including 
Bobby Bell, who said it looked like it had aircraft 
landing lights. Although all leads have been checked 
out, Williams has yet to come up with a positive 
answer concerning the strange light. 

NORTH CAROLINA, August 10, 1981 - Gastonia - 
About 1:30 p.m., during Tommie Ballard’s regular 
drive to work, something fiery struck and shattered 
the windshield of'her pickup truck. “It looked like a 
ball of fire,” she said. “And it sounded like it was 

It was suggested that the ball of fire may have been 
a meteor from the Perseid meteor shower, but 
Anthony Jenzano of the Morehead Planetarium in 
Chapel Hill said that was unlikely. “I can eliminate 
the possibility of a meteor because it was glowing,” 
Jenzano said. “Meteors stop glowing when they're 
about 35 miles high.” 

CHINA, July 24, 1981 - Peking (Reuter) - Reports 
of a UFO looking like a bright, spinning spiral have 
come from many parts of China. The object, which one 
peasant said resembled a dragon coiling in the sky, 
was seen between 10:30 and 11:30 p.m. in places as far 



VOL. 29, NO. 12 

apart as Peking in the northeast to Xinjiang province 
in the far west. Three thousand people watching an 
open-air film in Sichuan province saw the UFO, 
describing it as a ball shining with greenish radiance 4 
or 5 times brighter than other stars. 

While most reports agreed on the time when the 
UFO was seen, they differed on the direction it took. 
The object was evidently high in the sky because some 
reports noted that at times it was obscured by clouds. 
It was seen in a total of 13 provinces as well as 

MASSACHUSETTS, July 28, 1981 - Pittsfield - 
Darryl Perrault was sitting on his porch with his girl¬ 
friend, Ann Delsignore, at 10 p.m. when they saw 
“something like a shooting star move across the sky 
and then suddenly stop.” Carl Perrault, Darryl’s 
father, brought out a pair of high-powered binoculars 
and the three watched the object for about 45 minutes. 

The object was described as oval-shaped with red 
and white flashing lights around the outside like a 
ring. It was located in the southern part of the sky, 
approximately over the Pittsfield Country Club. 

AUSTRALIA, August 5-6, 1981 - Victoria - Leila 
Meade was travelling along the St. Amaud North 
Road at 11:45 p.m. August 6, when she saw a huge 
orange ball on the horizon in the direction of Marnoo. 
She kept driving, and when she looked again it was 

The night before, Maureen Tillig and Marea Breisch 
were driving toward Gooroc at 7:00 p.m. when they 
saw a flashing red light to their left. The light initially 
appeared to be stationary, but it then began to move, 
changing color from red to a slightly bluish-white. It 
moved south towards them for several minutes, hov¬ 
ered and moved in stops and starts, then suddenly 
moved very quickly off to the north. 

INDIANA, August 20 thru 22, 1981 - Frankfort - 
At least 8 police officers say they watched an unidenti¬ 
fied flying object that changed colors from red to green 
to white hovering near the town for three hours before 
it sped away. It was first reported to police at 11:30 
pjn. and last observed at 4:30 a.m., August 20th. 

At Kokomo, about 20 miles northeast of Frankfort, 
police also acknowledged a sighting, but said their 
investigation had been turned over to the Air Force. 
Major Robert Allen, an Air Force spokesman, con¬ 
firmed that personnel at Grissom AFB tracked an 
object on radar for about five hours, but said he had 
little doubt that it was a hot air balloon. He added 
that the Indiana State Fair held a balloon race about 8 
a.m., August 20th. Don Menchhofer, Director of Bal¬ 
loon Port of Indiana in Hamilton County, said it was 
unlikely that the sightings were of a manned hot air 
balloon because of the dangers of flying at night. 

In addition to the police officers who watched the 
object, the sheriff’s office received 93 phone calls 

reporting the UFO. Hamilton County Captain Benny 
Craig watched the object from his home with binocu¬ 
lars and said it looked like the lights were spinning. 
Two Carmel paramedics described the object as 
cigar-shaped with flashing red, white and green lights. 
One said it was “about as big as 2 city blocks long.” 

Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office, Noblesville Police, 
Indiana State Police and Grissom AFB all received 
Rhone calls from people who said they saw flashing 
red, green and white lights in the sky around midnight 
on August 21st. The Clark Dell family and neighbors 
watched an object with binoculars from 11:30 p.m. to 
12:30 a.m. It was described as having a white and 
green light toward the top that flashed off and on 
alternately, and a red light on the bottom that re¬ 
volved like a police car flasher. After hovering for an 
hour, the object appeared to move higher in the sky 
and disappear. 

Noblesville Police received 2 calls within 15 minutes 
of each other at about 9 p.m., August 22nd, reporting 
red, yellow and bluish-green lights in the sky. The 
Hamilton County Sheriff’s office received 3 calls the 
same night, one at 8:45 p.m., one at 11:57 p.m. and 
the other at 12:13 a.m. 

RUSSIA, August 21, 1981 - Moscow (UP I ) - A rose- 
colored fireball flew into the engine compartment of a 
moving freight train in eastern Siberia and exploded, 
knocking the engineer unconscious. The fireball, ap¬ 
parently in the form of lightning, slammed into a 
searchlight on the train and melted glass and steel 
upon impact. The incident was the latest in a series of 
atmospheric phenomena reported in the region around 

CANADA, August 22, 1981 - Smoky Lake, Alberta 
(CP) - Pat Wilson and her husband Jim saw a strange 
fire burning in a field on their acreage. “It wasn’t like 
a normal fire,” said Mrs. Wilson. “There was no 
crackling sound, no smell and it was a bright orange 
color.” They went to the site and found no fire, “just 
mounds of cold ashes and a weird sulphur smell.” 

RCMP officials investigated the site carefully and an 
officer said the ground was burned to a depth of 6 or 7 
inches. The area was cigar-shaped, about 30 feet 
across. The ash was grey-black with a crater-like sur¬ 
face and was very soft. Samples of the ashes were sent 
to Ottowa and to the University of Alberta for analysis. 

JAPAN, August 29, 1981 - Osaka - A fleet of 15 
cigar-shaped UFOs, some with flashing red lights, 
were sighted by at least 50 people around 6 p.m. 
According to the citizens’ reports, they flew across the 
sky from northeast to southwest for about an hour. 

Toshihiko Fujiwara said they looked like rubber bal¬ 
loons and appeared one after another every two min¬ 
utes. Firefighter Osamu Ishido watched the objects 
with 5 of his fellow workers. 


VOL. 29, NO. 12 



Moon Phases: First quarter—Jan. 2 
Full moon—Jan. St 
Last quarter—Jan. 17 
New Moon—Jan. 25 

NOTE: When observing the sky, one should be aware 
of the so-called “scintillation effect.” Atmospheric 
turbulence causes some stars (esp. those near the 
horizon) to twinkle, often in brilliant shades of red and 



Shown above is a section of the Tucson Park Mall 
exhibit . Local members “manning” the exhibit on 
Saturday , October 17 were , seated left to right , Mrs . 
Coral Lorenzen , APRO's Secretary-Treasurer , Mr. Bob 
Marsland, APRO's Deputy Director , and members 
Vikki Davis and Evelyn Thompson. 



by Lee Emery 

January 1982 

Prominent Planets: Venus appears as a bright point 
at sunset about 20 degrees above the SW horizon. It 
sets about 1 hour after sunset in the WSW. 

Jupiter rises about 2 AM in theESE and at sunrise 
is located about 40 degrees above the southern 

Saturn rises just before midnight in the east and at 
sunrise is located about 45 degrees above the SW 

Mars rises about 11 PM in the east (dull reddish in 
color) and at sunrise is about 60 degrees above the SW 

Brightest Stars: Capella can be seen about 40 
degrees above the NE horizon at sunset. By 9 PM, it 
is almost directly overhead and it sets just before 
sunrise in the NNW. 

Vega is located about 30 degrees above the NW 
horizon at sunset and sets about 7:30 in the NNW. 

Sirius rises about 6 PM in the ESE and by 9 PM is 
located about 30 degrees above the SSE horizon. It 
maintains a low altitude until setting in the SW about 
5:30 AM. 

Arcturus (-.06 magnitude) rises in the east about 
midnight and by sunrise is about 80 degrees above the 
southern horizon. 

(I feel that the membership at large would like to 
see the general tone of the response to our plea for 
help via the Bulletin last July—thus excerpts from 
some of the many letters we received. The Editor) 

”... You certainly have done a tremendous job in 
,the years you have given of yourselves”. . . Mrs. 
Ann M. Hutton. 

”... You are valuable people—I want to help keep 
APRO viable. Wish I had thousands to send instead of 
only this”. . . Marian Van Osenbruggen. 

”... Your cover article (back page) was an appro¬ 
priate clarification of APRO’s position, history and 
operation. I salute you! You have survived because of 
the very ability to breathe life into our organization 
and to maintain it in a healthy, respectable condition. 
I can begin to realize the burden, sacrifice and dedica¬ 
tion it takes to maintain the organization; only those 
entities with your strength seem to survive in time” 

. . . Robert Engberg. 

”... I know personally what it takes to put out a 
newsletter but I do hope you will not give up. The 
UFO scene would not be the same without APRO” 

. . . Charles Huffer. 

”... Hope this will help! I have enjoyed the Bulle¬ 
tin for the past several years plus several of your 
books, so I’d hate to see you go under now!”. . . 
Andy Ehrlicher. v 

”... Here’s hoping better days are ahead, for 
APRO is, by far, the best of all the UFO organiza¬ 
tions!”. . . Mary Lea James. 



By way of “celebrating” APRO’s long tenure in 
UFO research, we offer the following synopsis of 
material contained in the March, 1958 issue of the Bul¬ 
letin. APRO and the Lorenzens were then located in 



VOL. 29, NO. 12 

Alamogordo, New Mexico and had just “survived” the 
huge UFO flap of November and December, 1957. To 

Lima , Peru , January 29: A lawyer, his wife and 
nephew told of seeing a disc-shaped glowing object 
which approached the ground, causing the lights of the 
car to go out. The object was also seen by the passen¬ 
gers on a bus and the crew in a truck, both vehicles of 
which were driving along the same highway. The inci¬ 
dent occurred between Arequipa and Lima. 

Trindade Island , January 16: The crew of the IGY 
ship, Almirante Saldanha, sighted a disc-shaped object 
which came in from the Atlantic, circled the island and 
departed back to sea. It was photographed by a guest 
photographer and this case later became one of the 
most celebrated and thoroughly investigated cases in 
the history of UFOlogy. Our Representative for Brazil 
at the time was the late Dr. Olavo T. Fontes, who 
carried out a very careful investigation of the whole 

Mount Stromlo Observatory, Australia . A letter 
from astronomer A. Pryzbylski to APRO confirmed a 
press report that a UFO had been seen there on 
November 8, 1957. 

The September , 1955 photograph of a UFO taken by 
Dr. Achilles Greco, a Sao Paulo Brazil physician, was 
featured on page two of the March 1958 issue. It 
shows a disc-shaped object hovering below the clouds 
over Cabras Island at sunset. The object hovered for 
only a minute or so, during which time Dr. Greco 
obtained two photos. It then took off at high speed. 

Another very revealing photograph was featured on 
page three of the same issue. It was taken by Dr. Luis 
E. Corrales, an engineer at the Ministry of Communi¬ 
cations in Caracas, Venezuela at 6:10 p.m. on the 18th 
of December, 1957. Corrales had taken a time exposure 
of Sputnik (Russia’s and the Earth’s first artificial 
satellite) and on the photographic plate, alongside the 
trail of Sputnik, was the trail of another object. Sput¬ 
nik’s path was straight, but that of the second object 
TRAJECTORY. All of the usual explanations for the 
trail (meteors, etc.) were ruled out, making it just 
another one of those unexplained anomalies of space. 

The March, 1958, Bulletin featured the first of a 
three-part series of articles by Dr. Olavo Fontes, titled 
“The Shadow of the Unknown”. In this series, Dr. 
Fontes documented many Brazilian UFO reports which 
had been carefully investigated, and which were to 
establish him firmly as one of the original pioneers of 
UFO Research. In those days there were very few of 
the latter. 

If this type of information is of interest to the 
readers, please let us know and we will attempt to 
include historical tidbits in the Bulletin from time to 


Despite the general conviction that ‘nothing’ has 
been going on UFO-wise in recent weeks, interesting 
material rolls in day by day at APRO Headquarters. 
Just as this issue was being ‘put to bed’, the following 
information reached us from Argentina: 

'A UFO was reported to have been sighted in three 
Argentine provinces and in the Chilean locality of 
Arica on Saturday night, October 31. Reports indicate 
that it was seen in San Juan, Mendoza and Cordoba 
provinces. An official of the Felix Aguilar Observatory 
told the press that he saw the UFO cross the skies at 
9 p.m., at a great rate of speed. He also said it had 
the “classic” shape of a “flying saucer” and left a 
luminous, sparkling wake behind it, and disappeared 
into the northeast. 

The control tower operators at Mendoza and San 
Juan and an Aerolineas Argentinas pilot about to land 
at Plumerillo airport at 9 p.m. reported seeing a UFO 
cross the sky and disappear towards the north. The 
Aerolineas pilot, who was on a routine flight between 
Cordoba and Mendoza, said the UFO did not have the 
form of a flying saucer and looked more like a rocket 
of some sort. 

A similar object was seen by an Austral pilot as he 
was about to land at Cordoba. The press pointed out 
that this was the first time that an alleged UFO has 
been seen by airline pilots in different parts of the 

Officials at the Argentine rocket site in La Rioja 
said they had not launched any rockets for meteorolog¬ 
ical observations in the past few days. 

Seven mountain climbers who were camping in the 
foothills of the Andes gave full details of the sighting 
of a luminous unidentified flying object on the same 
night. Diego Lejnos, one of the climbers, said he saw 
the UFO when it was apparently about three or four 
kilometers distant from his location and that it shed a 
bright light which illuminated the entire area. Antonio 
Sanchez, another of the mountaineers, said the mem¬ 
bers of his party became very nervous when they were 
enveloped in a bright light. They all agreed that the 
object disappeared in a northerly direction. 



Read the renewal notice on the 
front cover of this bulletin and 
renew on time\