Skip to main content

Full text of "AFU 19811000 APRO Bulletin v29 n10"

See other formats

the apro bulletin 



New Mexico, 1958 — See Report at Right 


September 1981, by Richard W. Heiden 

During the past few years, James Oberg has beat 
the subject of supposed UFO sightings by astronauts 
to death, and then some. (Though, curiously, I have 
yet to see him say a word about the documented sight¬ 
ings by astronauts before they joined NASA.) Oberg’s 
rationale for doing this is (to quote from his anti-UFO 
column in the Feb. 1981 issue of Omni magazine) that 
“the ‘astronaut UFO cases* can still play an important 
part in any assessment of the UFO scene ... in deter¬ 
mining the reliability of UFO books and magazines.*’ 
If a publication has such accounts, “there is a strong 
indication that the author either doesn’t know, doesn’t 
care about, or probably doesn’t want readers to know 
the truth behind these tales. The same therefore 
probably goes for the other UFO stories in such 

So how does Oberg himself measure up to the 
yardstick (as he calls it) of being accurate and careful 
in writing about those things that can be checked? Not 
very well. 

In Oberg’s March 1979 Omni column, which 
(.See “ Yardstick ” — Page Three ) 

by Robert E . Engberg, P.E. 


Sam Jones currently resides in Bingham, New 
Mexico. He is 66 years old. Sam was bom in San 
Angelo, Texas on June 9, 1915. His basic education 
consists of five years of school at Pamona, California 
and he lacks two course credits to graduate from that 
high school. He studied both engineering and avionics 
from various technical groups in Pamona, California. 
He has also completed two engineering courses which 
were sponsored by the Peerless Pump Company and he 
has completed the first eight courses in mining from 
Globe Uranium Company of Casper, Wyoming. Globe 
Uranium Company is a subsidiary of Union Carbide 
for which he worked for seven months as a heavy 
equipment operator in open pit mining. He currently 
works in a lead mining operation at Bingham and has 
been there for 17 months. Sam retired at age 62 and 
has pension status from both Social Security and the 


The first sighting that Sam described took place 
near Golden, New Mexico in August 1951 at 1:30 p.m. 
At that time, Sam was working for the Griffin Stone 
Works and the sighting occurred while he was on New 
Mexico’s State Route #10, five miles north of Golden. 

Golden, New Mexico is well known as a gold mining 
town. It is on the east side of the Sandia Mountains. 
Sam was alone in a semitruck loaded with quarried 
stone. He had stopped along this road to routinely 
check tires for air and any load shifting. He was on a 
paved road heading south and had started on route 10 
in Canyon. The object was first noticed almost directly 
overhead. It appeared to be of a bright metallic color 
and was cigar shaped. The proportions of the object 
Sam describes as nearly that of a Roitan Cigar held at 
arm’s length. The day was perfectly clear and Sam had 
no clouds for a reference in estimating the distance of 
the object. He further described the object as 
motionless, at about 88° vertical pointing horizontally 
in the north-northeast direction. The stainless steel 
color reflected sunlight but no other internal 
illumination was present. No openings, ports, seams, 
and the like were discernible and no noise was heard. 

The unit remained motionless from ten to twenty 
minutes and as Sam tired of watching the object he 
proceeded to Albuquerque making no backward 
glances. The temperature was about 80°F. and the 



VOL. 29, NO. 10 

Copyright © 1981 by the 

3910 E. Kleindale Road 
Tucson, Arizona 85712 
Phone: 602-323-1825 and 602-323-7363 
Coral E. Lorenzen, Editor 
Richard Heiden, Ass’t Editor 
Brian James, Lance P. Johnson, 

Robert Gonzales, Artists 


International Director.L.J. Lorenzen 

Director of Research .James A. Harder, Ph.D. 

Secretary-Treasurer.Coral E. Lorenzen 

Membership Secretary.Madeleine H. Cooper 

THE A.P.R.O. BULLETIN is the official copyrighted publication 
of the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization, Inc., (A.P.R.O.), 
3910 E. Kleindale Rd., Tucson, Arizona 85712, and is issued every 
month to members and subscribers. The Aerial Phenomena 
Research Organization, Inc., a non-profit corporation established 
under the laws of the State of Arizona and a federally recognized 
scientific and educational tax-exempt organization is dedicated to 
the eventual solution of the phenomenon of unidentified flying 
objects. Inquiries pertaining to membership and subscription may 
be made to the above address. 


United States. $15.00/yr. 

Canada & Mexico.$16.00/yr. 

(Canadian Currency will be accepted) 

All other Countries.$18.00/yr. 

Air Mail Overseas.$21.00/yr. 

Newswires, newspapers, radio and television stations may quote up 
to 250 words from this publication provided that the Aerial 
Phenomena Research Organization, Inc. (or A.P.R.O.), Tucson, 
Arizona, is given as the source. Written permission of the Editor 
must be obtained for quotes in excess of 250 words. 

Published in October, 1981 

object had no effect on the truck’s operation. The 
incident was never formally reported to any 


The second sighting occurred near the Saw Tooth 
Mountains on US Hwy 60 about 15 miles on the east 
side of the Continental Divide. Pie Town, New Mexico 
is just west of the continental Divide on Hwy 60. The 
event occurred in the last week of November or the 
first week of December in 1958. Sam has a vague 
recollection as to the year being 1957 Or 1958. Mt. 
Taylor had a good coating of snow. The day was very 
clear and it was about 10 a.m. The temperature was 
freezing and there was 3 inches of snow covering the 

The witnesses included Clyde Haddock, Marian 
Gordon (a male), and Sam Jones who were traveling 
together in Clyde’s old Plymouth station wagon. They 
had gone out on a graded ranch road and were heading 
north at the time. Clyde was driving and all three were 
positioned in the front seat of the automobile. They 
had just driven by a volcanic dyke which was about 75 
feet above the terrain and had turned southeast on a 

rutted country road which was adjacent to the dyke. 
They were heading from a northwest to southeast 
tangent and had gone about a half a mile on the east 
side of the dyke where they had encountered a closed 

Sam got out to open the gate and after opening it he 
looked west toward the dyke about 100 feet away. He 
turned, witnessing a metallic object over the dyke but 
well beyond it. It moved toward the observers as the 
car pulled through the gate. Sam then called for the 
attention of his associates who shut off the car and got 
out to watch. A five-mile-an-hour breeze from the 
northwest was blowing according to Sam’s recollection. 
He discussed the object with his associates and they 
concluded it was two jets refueling at an estimated 
distance of about 30 miles. The object took about 10 
minutes to approach the observers and came to a 70° 
elevation above them. 

The observers on the ground were at approximately 
8,000 feet elevation at this location. The sky was 
bright and sunny with no clouds and snow-capped Mt. 
Taylor was easily visible 80 miles away. 

Sam describes the two objects as being connected 
together with metallic beams. The two objects were of 
similar geometry and the lower object tailed the top 
object at approximately 30° to 35° from vertical. The 
general appearance of the objects was like the Nautilus 
submarine as viewed from the side. The color of the 
beams on the upper and lower unit were bright metal¬ 
lic and reflected sunlight. No discernible light sources 
were observed. The objects were teardrop-shaped when 
viewed from above or below. The approach was steady 
with no noise. They then turned abruptly 90° to the 
north. It was then that the observers saw the two 
beams as they had not been visible on the approach 
due to the shading of the upper object onto the lower 
object. When turning, the beams appeared square like 
elevator shafts and gave no appearance of openings or 
ports. The objects picked up velocity upon turning and 
traveled at a slight angle of elevation on leaving Mt. 
Taylor. In five seconds it disappeared to two tiny dots 
in the distance and appeared positioned much higher 
than Mt. Taylor heading on a due north course. 

The witnesses were all disturbed by the sighting but 
no lasting psychological effects or time lapses followed 
this experience. 

A few particulars concerning Sam’s associates are: 
Clyde Haddock, who is now deceased for seven or 
eight years, lived with his mother in Socorro, New 
Mexico and with his sister of about 50 years. His 
mother and sister are both dead and were reported to 
have been respectable, upstanding people. Cloudcroft, 
New Mexico is where his family was living at that 
time. Marian Gordon, who currently lives in Socorro, 
is a World War II veteran in his late 50’s. He is 
described as an intelligent fellow with a military 

VOL. 29, NO. 10 



retirement. The sighting appeared to have no lasting 
effects or consequences on any of the three observers. 


For the record, I shall call this the Socorro 
sighting and the date of the event is determined to 
have occurred in the first week of April, 1967. In this 
sighting, Sam was not the primary witness but is in a 
position to describe the event because this investigator 
had easy access to Sam’s information. 

The sighting occurred over the town of Socorro, New 
Mexico and was first witnessed by Sam’s associate 
whom we shall give the name of Joe Holland to 
maintain the requested anomynity of the primary wit¬ 
ness. Sam first witnessed the object as it came over 
the horizon from the direction of Strawberry Peak. It 
appeared yo-yo shaped at first and of the immense size 
of 300 feet in diameter. A band of rainbow colors ap¬ 
peared around the perimeter. 

It first appeared about one half way up the height of 
Strawberry Peak, which is about 10 miles distant. It 
was estimated to be traveling 10 to 20 miles an hour 
and headed toward the observers. About three minutes 
of time elapsed on the approach to the witnesses and 
the object was at about 1,500 feet elevation above the 
ground. The body color appeared a dull, dark space 
and solid. The object slowed and hovered above the 
Institute of Mining and Technology School in Socorro. 
It raised vertically and turned on a powerful 150 foot 
diameter beam of white light with a cone angle of 40°. 
The beam progressed to ground elevation at the 
school. The unit continued to ascend straight up over 
that location. Its relative size was about 1” diameter 
at the observer’s arm’s length. It hovered for 
approximately one minute above the school at 1,500 
feet elevation and continued gradually ascending until 
it illuminated the top of the mountain (7,000 feet 
above sea level). It then turned off all its lights for 
about one minute and appeared totally dark. Then two 
different spurts of sparks appeared, similar to that 
given off by steel being forced into an emery wheel. 
These sparks appeared out of the air with no visible 
object outline and no sound. 

The proportions of the object was a diameter of 
approximately three times the height and as previously 
described, a general yo-yo shaped appearance. 

One of the peculiariaties of this sighting was that 
Joe Holland predicted the coming of the object and 
had an uncanny perception of the unit. It was during 
this state that he called Sam’s attention to the object 
before it appeared on the horizon. Both he and Sam 
witnessed the above event from Sam’s residence in 

An aside to Holland is that he had sighted 
numerous units while working with the highway 
department around the west side of the White Sands 
Missle Range in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Holland’s 
credentials, basically, at this time are believed to be a 

The April, 1967, N. Mexico Sighting 

degree in engineering and geology from the School of 
Mining Technology in Socorro. The traits and habits 
of Holland are generally mysterious of form and 
deserve a special investigation within their own merit. 
This investigator is requesting additional assistance in 
this case. If further investigation is needed, please 
contact Sam Jones. 

See sketches of the second and third sightings. 

* * * * * 


(Continued from Page One) 

included the contact claim of Dr. Leopoldo Diaz, he 
commented “that nobody in the UFO community 
seems to have questioned its authenticity.’’ This 
statement (as well as Oberg’s ignorance of Diaz’s first 
name) betrays his lack of familiarity with the UFO 
literature. The contact claim was criticized by Jerome 
Clark in UFO Report [Saga]l and by Gordon I.R Lore, 
Jr., in UFO Research Newsletter2. Other UFO 
magazines and bulletins largely did not waste print on 
Diaz, but in private conversation and correspondence 
with other researchers, I did not hear anything but 
criticism of the contactee. UFO researchers are not as 
gullible as Oberg thinks. 

In fact, if anyone is gullible, it is Oberg. Writing 
about the National Star’s article on Diaz, he says, 
“This story was apparently endorsed by leading UFO 
experts.’’ Lore’s article exposed as false the alleged 
endorsement of the Diaz contact. Oberg is always 
eager to try to expose claims made on behalf of UFOs, 
but it is too bad that when it comes to discrediting the 
subject, he uncritically reports false statements in 
sensationalistic tabloids without checking them. 

Then in the October 1980 Omni , Oberg wrote about 
Susan Kolb of Kiel, Wis., who back in 1977 was 
deprogrammed from an Adamski contactee cult group 
calling itself the UFO Education Center, which is 
based in Valley Center, Cal. Not only does Oberg 
commit a couple of factual errors, he also seems to be 
unaware that Mrs. Kolb was only one of several 



VOL. 29, NO. 10 

followers who were deprogrammed from the cult. 

Oberg's statement that “Susan Kolb traveled with 
(Cult deprogrammer Ted) Patrick on the lecture 
circuit** is totally false. He is also mistaken in writing 
that the deprogramming was paid for by her in-laws; 
her own parents actually paid for it. These blunders 
are not surprising in light of the fact that Oberg never 
contacted Sue. I called her after the column came out, 
and she told me that she had first heard of the article 
the night before, when someone told her about it. 

Oberg added the gratuitous remark, “Reputable 
UFO groups regard the affair of the UFO Education 
Center with embarrassment now that they realize it 
was not just another club of harmless crackpots.** As 
with much of Oberg*s writing, this is utterly without 
foundation. I either wrote or spoke with the heads of 
all three major UFO organizations — Coral and Jim 
Lorenzen of APRO, Mimi and Allen Hynek of CUFOS, 
and Walt Andrus of MUFON. They were unanimous 
in stating, first, that Oberg had never asked them for 
their reaction; second, that they were on to the UFO 
Education Center for a long time already; and, third, 
that they have no reason to be embarrassed by the 

Heaven knows what (if any) was Oberg*s source of 
information about Sue Kolb. Even the press did not 
commit his blunders. As a matter of fact, Oberg later 
sent me, unsolicited, two newspaper exposes of the 
UFO education Center*s cultic activities. (Both articles 
were done as a result of my letters to the papers in 
question, and the more thorough investigative reporter 
followed up on a number of leads that I had given 
him.) If Oberg had really read these articles, he 
would have known better than to make the mistakes 
he did! 

To the uninformed reader, James Oberg might seem 
to be an objective, careful researcher. But the facts 
speak for themselves. 

Don't look for the above to appear in Omni. After I 
wrote repeatedly, editor Ben Bova finally sent an 
acknowledgement, in which he refused to print 
corrections for Oberg's column, on the grounds that 
“I*m afraid that we receive many more (Letters to the 
editor) than we can possibly publish.** Thank goodness 
editors of most UFO publications are not afraid to run 
corrections, including explanations of past “UFOs.** I 
think that this clearly shows who has the more 
scientific, open-minded attitude — ufologists or the 
UFO scoffers. 

1. UFO Report, Nov. 1978, p. 13. 

2. UFO Research Newsletter , July-August 1978, 



Please x/ Bulletin Cover for Important 
Information and Messages! 


by Raymond E. Fowler. Prentice- 
Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New 
Jersey. 246 pages. $10.95 

>This book provides a rare opportunity to view the 
work of a veteran investigator, covering the complete 
modem era of ufology from 1947 to the present. 
Casebook of a UFO Investigator is Raymond Fowler's 
personal memoir. The reader can feel the emotions that 
consumed Ray at the age of 14, locking him into a 
lifetime of detailed investigations, sorting fact from 
fiction during a time in which the United States was 
joining the Jet-age. 

The novice as well as the seasoned UFO investigator 
can gain from the personalized discussions about the 
growth of the ‘cover-up,* the exemplary application of 
the scientific method to the evaluation of UFO data by 
Dr. James McDonald, and Ray's own growth as an 
investigator. His details of the Incident at Exeter, 
N.H., point out the need for the investigator to 
question all data and not accept “answers," even 
from supposedly accurate sources. For example, 
Project Bluebook provided a story about the Strategic 
Air Command exercises over New Hampshire, a story 
accepted by some people as the true explanation of the 
Exeter sightings. However, some critical checking of 
the facts showed that the alleged Air Force aircraft 
were not even airborne at the time of the incident. 

The chapter on experienced witnesses dispels the old 
theory that only unreliable individuals observe UFOs. 
Ray provides the details of an analysis of local cases 
he personally investigated. His statistics cover the 
age, educational level and profession of the witnesses. 
The results were comparable to the national samples in 
that the young to middle-age groups, with better than 
average education, and responsible jobs were the 
prime witnesses of UFO incidents. The chapter goes on 
to describe how the honest, childlike descriptions 
shared by children'can be valuable to the investigator 
and important to the parents of small children that 
have a UFO experience. The careful questioning of a 
six-year-old Bingham, Maine girl revealed details of a 
humanoid close encounter case, a case not unlike 
dozens of others in the archives. 

The book has it's sections on wild goose chases and 
identifiable flying objects, with situations that most 
investigators will encounter sooner or later. However, 
the chapter on consistent characteristics of real UFOs 
brings the whole mystery into focus. It begins by 
admitting to the reality of the mystery. Then the 
details of hundreds of cases are drawn together to 
provide a shopping list of important characteristics. It 
all starts with a classification according to physical 

VOL. 29, NO. 10 



configurations, and then proceeds to cover maneuvers, 
strange effects such as radiation, electromagnetic, 
sound, light, smell, etc., and concludes with coverage 
of humanoid and landing cases. After reviewing these 
details it is easy to understand why Ray remains a 
dedicated investigator. 

Casebook of a UFO Investigator is unique in that it 
doesn't waste time alluding to the serious nature of the 
UFO situation. It provides the names, dates, and 
places. Anyone can go back over the material and 
check the facts. The result is a fine book for the casual 
reader, as well as the seasoned investigator. “Where 
do we go from here?" is the title of the last chapter in 
the book. The answer is supplied and for my money it 
is worth the price of the book. 

John Schuessler 

MISSING TIME , Budd Hopkins 

Richard Marek Publishers, New York, 1981, $12.95. 

Noted artist, Budd Hopkins’ interest in ufology 
began subsequent to his viewing a UFO over Cape Cod 
in 1964. Written in vividly flowing style, this book 
details the abductions of 5 individuals as recalled 
through hypnotic regression. Mr. Hopkins, Dr. 
Aphrodite Clamar (psychotherapist), and the ab- 
ductees have shared some very emotional experiences! 
Prior to hypnosis, these people had no clear 
recollection of abduction, yet more than one had 
apparently been abducted in childhood and again as 
young adults. 

The author, who makes every effort to document his 
cases, suggests that since people are not allowed to 
remember, many hundreds or thousands more may 
have been unknowingly abducted; that the purpose of 
such abduction is presently unknown, not “evilly 
intentioned” but “indifferent” on the part of the 
abductors. Mr. Hopkins believes that governments 
have an obligation to prepare the public for 
extraterrestial presence in order to prevent future 
panic and economic disruption; that the U.N. should 
create an open, official investigative branch and 
central repository for UFO material and that some 
effort should be made to communicate with UFO 
occupants in order to gauge their intentions. 

Anne Bletchman, M.S.W., 7/81 
* * * * * 


Immediately following the UFOhio Symposium, 
Dr. Robert Creegan, APRO’s consultant in philosophy, 
and his son journeyed to Australia and the following 
are excerpts from the letter we received from him 
following his return: 

In Australia I confirmed the position of the Air 
Force (RAAF) that as a rule UFO reports should be 
investigated by civilian agencies. I also was told by 
several citizens that the Australian Army itself 
answers calls from citizens, usually sending a small 
squad to investigate UFO sightings which have caused 
alarm. (Especially the landing reports.) 

“In addition I learned that besides the alleged UFO 
“>nests” in Queensland, many ground markings of a 
circular character in desert regions of South Australia 
and of the Northern Territory have been attributed to 
UFOs. In fact, near Leigh Creek in South Australia 
(where our group was in “bush camp”) we found 
circular markings a few meters in diameter which some 
interpreted in those terms. I could make no firm 
judgement as to the cause. While some thought that 
two-wheeled vehicles could be responsible, most 
Australians thought that changing alignments of front 
and rear wheels could not have been so totally 
concealed, nor could the lack of apparent track to or 
from the circles be accounted for in such terms, given 
the conditions of the soil. Since necessities of our 
so-called “safari” made it necessary to move on with¬ 
out time for thorough study, I report this only in illus¬ 
tration of Australian interest in such problems.” 

(Editor’s note: Several years ago, certain areas of 
Australia, particularly rural areas, became the object 
of interest because of the sudden and unexplained 
appearance of circles of flattened vegetation which 
were soon dubbed “nests.” It is these areas to which 
Dr. Creegan alludes.) 

* * * * * 


Dr. Leo Sprinkle, one of APRO’s Consultants in 
Psychology informed APRO Headquarters in late 
September that he had journeyed to Los Angeles to be 
filmed along with Betty Cash and Vicki Landrum (See 
Page one, Volume 29, Issue No. 8) in connection with 
their experience with a UFO in December, 1980. Dr. 
Sprinkle does not have a firm date when the show will 
be aired, but those of you who are interested, might 
watch the listings in the TV Guide or your local 
newspaper for that information. It is our experience, 
however, that these shows are filmed weeks and 
sometimes months ahead of the actual viewing date, so 
it is just possible that some of us may be able to learn 
what a show of that sort does with good available 
UFO data. 

♦ * * * * 


Send Your Address Change! 



VOL. 29, NO. 10 


By Robert F. Creegan , Ph.D. 

APRO Consultant in Philosophy 

The great stream of information coming through 
UFO reports given by persons of all walks of life all 
over the world must have a profound effect upon the 
immediate future of world history. This is the conclu¬ 
sion to which I have been attracted as a result of 
interviewing official and amateur investigators of the 
reports on three continents: North America (both USA 
and Canada) and Europe (principally Great Britain and 
France) and Australia. My own reading and field 
investigating incidental to a course on Borders of Sci¬ 
ence which I have conducted at State University of 
New York at Albany each semester since 1972, point 
in the same direction. Reports of strange ojects in the 
atmosphere and in near space are rich in compelling 
information content, and may prove to be pivotal for 
human destiny in an age which increasingly seems to 
be one of panic. 

One dimension of the UFO impact, I am sorry to 
say, is the most obvious. That is the influence of 
reports on military technology. The capacity of UFOs 
to become quickly invisible and evasive to radar 
which has often been reported has been a principal 
stimulus to the development of so called “stealth air¬ 
craft.” The small cruise missile's development also 
owes a lot to UFO reports. Far more basic, however, is 
the massive international rivalry in the search for the 
hypothetical “gravity drive” or other method of 
achieving vehicle acceleration with a minimum of 
adverse inertial effects, and to achieve silent flight at 
high velocity. These matters account for the obviously 
frantic efforts at “cover up” on the part of security 

A far happier dimension of report influence is related 
to the amazing changes in personality and personal 
capacity which have followed in the lives of some UFO 
witnesses as a result of liberating experiences when 
those are reported frankly. The psychologist, R. Leo 
Sprinkle, (APRO’s Consultant in Psychology) has 
written on that topic, as has the French scientist- 
linguist Aime Michel. Ordinary people have assumed 
extraordinary responsibilities for the cause of peace in 
private lives and in the life of nations. 

Speaking of “ordinary people,” it must be concluded 
also that a really dazzling type of information is 
implicit to the fact that most reports are owed to those 
who have no special status or privilege jealously to 
defend. As a matter of fact, most of the so called 
“establishment” in science, religion and government 
seem to be unhappy about the growing UFO evidence 
and its massive impact on the public. If intelligence 

other than and perhaps superior to the human is 
indeed involved, as seems more and more likely, the 
incapacity of the establishment to make formal contact 
has been embarrassing. And the apparent indifference 
of the sources to all the insignia of human prestige has 
been deemed to be practically insulting. As indicated 
above, however, the establishment has been able to 
scavenge bits and pieces of information from the 
reports, mostly related to the search for military 
success. The more creative dimension of change has 
been achieved through the responses of persons who do 
not defend prestigious offices, though there may be 
some brilliant exceptions to that rule. 

Where there is an influx of information with con¬ 
structive potentials, one must postulate reality of some 
important kind in the source or sources of such infor¬ 
mation. It is claimed that the process is of world his¬ 
torical importance. This does not mean that when we 
make the claim we know much else about the nature of 
the sources. UFO reports, like the various stimuli to 
which they are responses, remain most mysterious, 
and certainly this writer while attracted to the extra¬ 
terrestrial hypothesis, has not solved the mystery. A 
large amount of so called “misinformation” is being 
published and spoken about UFO questions, and per¬ 
haps some of that is officially inspired. One would 
avoid if possible all the unfounded claims. Only the 
claim that there is a great stream of information 
having world historical impact is made here, and is 
made without any additional claims to special knowl¬ 
edge. Even so, we have made a fairly large claim 
about our subject of study which is the UFO reports. 
Implicit to these, taken as a whole, is information of 
pivotal importance for life on earth, some of which 
seems to be alarming, while other appears promising 

and favorable to survival and creative action. 



By Doris and Joe Graziano 

CALIFORNIA Summer [date unknown ], 1975 — 

Sequoia National Park... John Clark and his friend, 
Ralph Johnson, were suddenly awakened by John's 
dog barking during the night. They bolted upright in 
their sleeping bags and saw something about 9 feet tall 
“gliding” silently by. 

Clark isn’t sure whether it was covered with long 
blonde hair or whether it was wearing something that 
gave that appearance. He got a profile but could not 
make out a face. He saw more when he was recently 
hypnotized by Dr. James Harder, a professor at the 
University of California at Berkeley. 

Under hypnosis, Clark remembered “yellow eyes 
with black slits” and being in a triangular-shaped 
room while he was examined with tubes that were 
stuck painlessly into his arm and stomach. Before 

VOL. 29, NO. 10 



hypnosis, all he could remember was running from it 
that night. Several unusual things have happened to 
Clark in the ensuing years that he attributes to 
whatever it was he encountered that night. 

May 6 , 1981 — Kent,., Shortly after nightfall, Joanne 
Baron and Caroline Johnston were walking ahead of 
two friends along Keston Ponds when they spotted a 
strange object. “It had neither animal nor human 
qualities and was moving slowly towards us across the 
water,” said Caroline. “It seemed to be wearing a 
long, pointed hat of dark material, and may have been 
covered by a dark cloak. Round the lower half of its 
body was a circle of small lights.” 

Joanne compared it to “a poltergeist that had 
illuminated the lower half of its body/’ As it continued 
to move forward, the girls ran off to find their friends 
but when they looked back, the object had 

May 28, 1981 — Arkengarthdale... Clark Stones was 
looking around his farm with his wife, Greta, and a 
friend, Stan Watson, about 10 a.m. when he saw an 
object about 150 yards away in the corner of a field. 
The object appeared to be oval, about 2 feet across 
and 6 inches deep and seemed to have tags on the 
bottom. It was solid, had no windows and was moving 
backwards and forwards about 2 feet off the ground. 

Stones asked Watson to go and have a closer look 
while he watched from a gully. When Watson got 
about 50 yards away, the object lifted 5 or 6 feet into 
the air and moved 20 yards across the field. It then 
moved straight up into the air, almost vertically, at 
about 5 to 10 mph. 

ALABAMA June 2, 1981 — Florence .. .Eight 
eyewitnesses said a “ball of fire” that looked like a 
burning airplane or helicopter crossed Highway 20 
about 8 miles north about 3:30 p.m. when he saw the 
mysterious ball of fire. He said, “It was on fire and it 
was smoking and it looked like an airplane.” 

C.G. Stacy was riding south when he saw the ball of 
fire. He said he saw a big ball of fire and then a “big 
parachute” came out, followed by the “sound of an 
explosion.” Kilpatrick said he did not see a parachute. 

Officials conducted a massive air and ground search 
for possible wreckage of an aircraft. The search was 
called off about 7:30 p.m. because nothing other than 
about 8 eyewitness accounts, could be found. 

Shirley Gean said she saw an object exactly one 
week before the June 2 report which also gave the 
impression of being on fire. Her sighting was made at 
11 p.m. and the object was described as “reddish 
pink” with a “lighter shade of red inside a cylinder 

PENNSYLVANIA June 24, 1981 — Butler... Cheryl 
and Bruce Hopkins were waiting out a thunderstorm 
at Moraine State Park about 3:30 a.m. when they 
spotted brilliant lights hovering about 5 feet off the 
ground. The lights were described as brilliant red and 

green stationary and flashing white lights. 

They watched the lights for about 20 seconds and 
then there was a violent crash of thunder and lightning 
which seemed to envelope the entire cove. Just as 
quickly, the mysterious lights were gone. Both recall a 
very audible “buzzing” sound the entire time they 
observed the lights. 

About 1:30 p.m. residents in areas of both Carolinas 
and Georgia were startled by a noise described as 
sounding like a sonic boom, an explosion or an earth¬ 
quake. The sound shook houses in Charlotte, N.C. and 
prompted calls to police in Gaffney, Greenville and 
Spartanburg, S.C. and Gastonia and Monroe, N.C. 

No supersonic commercial or military aircraft were 
reported in the area. A NASA spokesman said they 
had no launches or anything that could have caused it. 
The National Earthquake Information Center in 
Golden, Colorado, reported no noticeable seismic 
activity in the area. 

At 12:36 p.m., the seismological observatory at 
Virginia Polytechnic Institute in Blacksburg, Va. 
recorded something very similar to an earthquake. 
Had it been an earthquake, it would have registered 
about 3.0 on the Richter Scale, but it wasn't an 
earthquake. A spokesman believed it may have been 
from an unusually large mining blast in Kentucky, but 
added that it would have been impossible to have 
heard it on the east coast. 

According to the National Weather Service the 
sound was not caused by atmospheric conditions. 
Similar blasts have shaken the Carolina coast off and 
on for the past several years, but were never 

NEW JERSEY July 6, 1981 — Chatham...A. young 
boy called the police at 9:43 p.m. to report an unusual 
object hovering in the sky. Twelve other calls followed 
during the next 20 minutes, placing the object over 
different areas of the town. 

Chatham special Policeman Dennis McCabe watched 
the object through binoculars and described a red light 
which moved slowly and then stopped. It remained in 
his sight for approximately 10 minutes before growing 
smaller, turning white and disappearing. 

Simultaneously, Madison Police Lt. Frank Wulff 
said he saw a pulsating orange glow in the sky. Sgt. 
Joseph Markovich of the Madison Police also reported 
sighting what he called a very slow moving plane. 

Barbie Johnson and Lisa Martin watched a fiery red 
object which sat on the horizon for about 10 minutes. 
They said it was 3 or 4 times larger than a normal star 
with what looked like two legs, risers or rays 
extending from it. As they ran to notify neighbors, the 
object turned white and disappeared. 

Robert Kolloch described the object as rectangular 
in shape and “clay red” in color. He agreed with his 



VOL. 29, NO. 10 

neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Mastin, that the object was 
very high in the sky. All of the witnesses reported that 
the object turned white just before disappearing. 

July 10, 1981 — Midland park... Debra Vinci reported 
that she saw an object shrouded in red and green 
lights hovering about 25 feet above a church at 
approximately 1:20 a.m. When she stepped out of her 
car to get a closer look, the object quickly rose and 
disappeared into the sky. No further description of the 
object was given. 

IOWA July 22, 1981 — Mascatine. .. Shortly after mid¬ 
night, Randy Reynolds saw a “large orange disc” 
which changed shape as it flew, disappearing and reap¬ 
pearing in a cone shape. About three hours later, a toll 
taker at the Norbert F. Beckey Bridge also saw an 

The toll taker's description of the object matched 
that of Reynolds', except that the object “made a 
whizzing sound” as it flew. The “whizzing” sound 
reportedly was heard by police officers patroling in the 
area. One other unidentified person also reported 
seeing a disc over the river. 

Shortly before the sighting, a power outage was 
reported on Muscatine's south side. Clyde Bowen, 
manager of the Muscatine Power and Water Co., said 
a raccoon got into some electrical equipment, 
temporarily shorting out a circuit. 


On the night of February 21, 1973, Clearwater High 
School Basketball coach, Reg Bone, and five players 
encountered a bright light on a lonely road when 
returning from a tournament in Piedmont, Missouri. 
The light followed their car and then hovered over a 
nearby field. The witnesses could clearly distinguish 4 
intense amber, green and white lights coming from the 
object. Without a sound, the object rose straight up in 
the air and disappeared over a hill at a high rate of 

This incident triggered the curiosity of Dr. Harley 
D. Rutledge, chairman of the physics department at 
Southeast Missouri State University in Cape 
Girardeau, who began a seven year research quest into 
the origin and nature of UFOs. With his knowledge of 
physics and expertise at using various types of 
electronic surveillance equipment, Rutledge set up 
what is believed to be one of the first truly scientific 
studies of UFOs conducted in the U.S. 

During his research, he interviewed scores of persons 
who had first hand encounters and studied hundreds of 
sightings and actual photographs of the “strange 
lights” seen frequently in the area. Rutledge and his 
team of student scientific researchers conducted a 
systematic study of UFOs using telescopes, camera 
equipment, techtronic spectrum analyzers to measure 
electromagnetic disturbances, equipment to detect 

radio frequency emissions and infrared film to detect 
heat emissions. 

Rutledge has concluded that there can only be three 
possible explanations for the UFO phenomenon. One is 
the extra-terrestrial theory that the crafts are from 
another planet and guided by alien creatures. The 
second is that UFOs are a paranormal or supernatural 
phenomenon. The third theory is what Rutledge calls 
the religious interpretation; that UFOs are some form 
of signal from God that a significant event is about to 
take place. 

One of the peculiar things that Rutledge and his 
team noted was the strange “interaction” between 
UFOs and UFO watchers. At times, the observers said 
they felt the presence of UFOs when none were 
immediately visible. A second or so later, a 
“pseudostar'’ would blink on in the sky. At other 
times, researchers felt they were being observed, 
perhaps even listened to by whatever it is inside the 

“One thing is certain,” said Rutledge, “there is an 
intelligence behind UFOs equal to man or better. The 
complete results of his seven-year probe can be found 
in “Project Identification,” a 265 page book published 
by Prentice Hall. ***** 


By Coral E. Lorenzen 

The Volume 29, Issue No. 8 Bulletin carried an ac¬ 
count of the Cash-Landrum case on Page 1. Since that 
report was published we have received word from John 
Scheussler, the primary investigator, that in his opin¬ 
ion, ionizing and photon radiation were responsible for 
the injuries (burns, eye problems, loss of hair, nausea, 
lack of appetite) suffered by the three witnesses. 

There are still other questions about that case which 
remain unanswered, such as the identity of the heli¬ 
copters which appeared to accompany (or even 
“escort”) the object in question. There are few possi¬ 
bilities which would account for them: (1) The “object” 
was a military exercise which had gotten out of con¬ 
trol. This brings up the question: Where is the nearest 
testing ground and why was it allowed to go so far 
beyond the boundaries of the test facility and into a 
densely populated area? (2) The “helicopters” were not 
helicopters as we know them, at all, but some sort of 
companion ships to the large object (no identifying 
marks were observed by the witnesses) and our records 
show that “mystery” helicopters have been seen 
and/or heard in the vicinity of other reported UFO 
sightings). (3) The object was a true “UFO”, the US 
Military was aware of this (and, indeed, might even 
have been in communication with it) and the helicop¬ 
ters were “herding” the thing out of the area. 

This is pure speculation, and there's more where 
that comes from. So keep tuned, folks. . . . We'll be