Skip to main content

Full text of "AFU 19800500 APRO Bulletin v28 n11"

See other formats


Subject: Group Sues More Federal Agencies Over 
UFO Documents; Pressure on CIA Continues. 

A Washington, D.C.-based public-interest group has 
filed a set of lawsuits against three Federal agencies to 
obtain government documentation on the subject of 
unidentified flying objects (UFOs). The Freedom of 
Information Act suits were filed on June 24, 1980, in 
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia by 
Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS). The group 
alleges that the National Security Agency (NSA), the 
Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), and the Federal 
Aviation Administration (FAA) have failed to comply 
with the provisions of the Act that would allow public 
access to unreleased UFO data. The action is being 
brought by New York City attorney Peter A. Gersten, 
whose earlier litigation against the CIA for UFO 
records prompted national attention. 

The suit against the National Security Agency is 
expected to result in major disclosures about the effect 
UFOs have on national security. Gersten's action 
seeks to enjoin the defendant from withholding its 
UFO-related records — including the 18 UFO docu¬ 
ments that were referred to the Agency by the CIA in 
the course of the CIA suit. It is the contention of NSA 
that the documents are being withheld for reasons of 
national security, despite the government's public 
position that UFOs constitute no threat to the nation's 

In the case against the Defense Intelligence Agency, 
Gersten asserts that the Agency's alleged records- 
search was inadequate. On prior occasions, the Agency 
denied possessing any UFO-related documents, only to 
be embarrassed when the CIA, in its own search, 
surfaced DIA-originated UFO documents. 

In the FAA suit, the group complains that the 
Administration (1) conducted an inadequate search for 
its UFO documents and (2) levied unreasonable search 
fees for the few UFO documents it did locate. 

In other action, Gersten's 2-year-old suit against the 
Central Intelligence Agency has seen a number of 
developments. Though the litigation did succeed in 
producing close to 1,000 pages of UFO-related docu¬ 
ments attesting to the Agency's 30-year involvement 
in the controversy, the judge granted the defendant's 
motion for summary judgment on May 30, 1980. This 
came despite the fact that the Agency admits to with¬ 
holding 57 UFO documents. Moreover, those docu¬ 
ments already released suggest that the Agency failed 
to disclose the existence of at least 200 more UFO 
documents. As a result, the plaintiff filed a notice of 
appeal on June 24, 1980. 

For interviews or copies of the legal papers filed 
please call: Peter A. Gersten, Esq. at (212) 992-9600. 



Dear Readers, please look at your address label. If the 
date-code 7/80 appears to the right of your address, 
your Membership and/or Subscription is due for 
renewal. We look forward to having you “aboard" 
another year, and will appreciate your early renewal so 
that we don't have to send you a reminder. 

the apro bulletin 

VOL. 28, NO. 11 _ THE A.P.R.O. BULLETIN _ _ MAY 1980 



By Kevin R. Berry 

Kaikoura is a town in the South Island of New 
Zealand, about 100 miles north of Christchurch. 
During the months of December 1978 and January 
1979, this town and the area around it were buzzing 
with UFO reports, some now known world-wide. 

However, these were not the first reports that the 
area has had. The unidentified flying objects have been 
there for about three years, the residents say, and 
perhaps the Kaikoura and Clarence area could be 
considered as a UFO entry window. (Clarence is about 
40 miles north of Kaikoura). 

UFO picture filmed by TV crew 
on January 3, 1979 


During 1978, two people travelling through the 
Hundalee Hills by car to Kaikoura saw the now 
famous object hovering over the hills. They were so 
busy watching it that their car almost ran off the road. 

One of Clarence's 200 residents described what he 
saw in December 1978. He first thought the object was 
a stationary satellite, but realized that it wasn't. The 

(See Kaikoura—Page Two) 

December 20, 1979 - Napier's Marine Parade. At 
around 10:15 p.m. an unidentified couple sat looking 
out over the bay when a moving light caught their 
attention. It began falling downwards erratically and 
suddenly winked out. Then, at a point just below 
where the light had gone out, a silvery-orange, 
ball-shaped object appeared out of nowhere. It made a 
half-circle to the east, straightened and shot off at 
high speed to the south across the bay. 

In the same place that the first object had appeared, 
another object appeared, turned a semi-circle and shot 
after the first object at twice the original speed. When 
the second object caught up to the first, both rushed 
away and disappeared to the south. 

The witnesses thought that the lights were self- 
illuminated and not reflecting any natural or man¬ 
made light source, and thought that they were objects 
rather than simple lights as their actions were “too 
well disciplined." No sound was heard. 

April 27, 1980 - Auckland. Four boys - Nigel 
McGuire (13), Kim Barry (13), Phillipe Barry (15) and 
a 13-year-old who declined to be named - were on a 
fishing expedition on the McGuire's 200 acre farm 
when they suddenly noticed a strange glowing object 
moving slowly across the sky. 

The object was described as eye-shaped with bright¬ 
ly colored lights around it and travelling about 50 feet 
above the ground. No sound was heard. The object 
“looked as if it landed behind a big hill . . . this 
tremendous color came out," said one of the boys. 

They watched it for about a minute, became fright¬ 
ened and started running. Mrs. Ella McGuire said that 
when the boys arrived at her home they were trembling 
and crying. She wrapped them in warm blankets and 
treated them for shock. 

When the boys had calmed down, they drew inde¬ 
pendent sketches and Mrs. McGuire said each diagram 
showed exactly the same shaped object in the same 

Inquiries with the New Zealand Air Force indicated 
there were no planes in the area at the time. 

Within a week, at least two other mysterious sight¬ 
ings had been reported. Mrs. Grace Fry reported a 
bright white light between 7 and 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, 
April 27. She said she watched a large circular light 
that didn't move for ten minutes before it started to 
fade and eventually disappeared. 

(See Diverse—Page Two] 




Copyright © 1980 by the 

3910 E. Kleindale Road 
Tucson, Arizona 85712 
Phone: 602-793-1825 and 602-326-0059 
Coral E. Lorenzen, Editor 
Norman Duke, Richard Beal, 

Brian James, Lance P. Johnson, 

Robert Gonzales, Artists 


International Director.L. J. Lorenzen 

Director of Research.James A. Harder, Ph.D. 

Public Relations.Hal Starr 

Secretary-Treasurer.Coral E. Lorenzen 

Membership Secretary.Madeleine H. Cooper 

Staff Librarian.Allen Benz 

Office Manager..Christine Panter 


(Continued from Page One) 

Mr. Noel Bilkey reported seeing a bright white light 
while flying from Bay of Islands to Auckland about 
6:15 p.m. on Wednesday, April 30. The passenger 
beside him noticed it first but the pilot, Capt. John 

Nielsen, could not recall seeing a light. 



(Continued from Page One) 

UFO had three lights - red, orange, and green. 
Looking at it through binoculars only made the lights 
look bigger and did not reveal any additional details. 

Another man in the same area described the object 
he saw the same month as having a red light on one 
side and a green light on the other. 

Farmer Bruce Appleby believes that the object is 
responsible for the disappearance of scores of his 
sheep. (My personal opinion is that his belief is 
without foundation. The objects sighted there have 
always been at a distance, and apparently have never 
taken anyone else's animals.) 

On Thursday morning, December 21, 1978, an 
Argosy aircraft left Blenheim bound for Christchurch, 
piloted by Captain John Randle. At 1:20 a.m. he 
radioed Wellington to report “several white lights”, 
unusually bright, over the sea off the Kaikoura coast. 
Wellington already had them on radar, and said that 
they were travelling about 2000 km/h (1250 mph). 
Captain Randle had another sighting at 4:06 a.m. 
when flying back to Auckland. 

While, the control tower was watching Randle's 
UFOs on the radar, they received another radio call. 
Captain Vernon Powell, the pilot of another Argosy, 

also Christchurch-bound, radioed at 3:28 a.m. to say 
that “something is coming towards us at a tremendous 
speed on our radar.” It was leaving a trail on the 
radar screen, and travelled 24 km (15 miles) in 5 
seconds before veering off. If Powell's estimate of the 
speed was accurate, the object would have been going 
over 10,000 mph. 

The object vanished off the radar screen, but 
^appeared again 37 km east of the aircraft, as a flashing 
white light. It paced the plane for 20 km, tracked by 
Wellington radar. During that time it changed color. 


In the early morning hours of December 31, 1978, 
an Australian film crew aboard another Argosy looking 
for UFOs filmed objects around their aircraft. The 
UFOs were also tracked on radar at Wellington and 
Christchurch. The film, taken with a telescopic lens by 
David Crockett, shows a main object, colored bright 
orange on top, rich red on the bottom, about 100 ft. in 
diameter. This was filmed on the return journey. When 
the film was analyzed in Australia, it was discovered 
that this object had a translucent dome. It had also 
done a giant loop in 1/20 of a second, undetected by 
the human observers. A smaller, white, shuttle-shaped 
object was also filmed, on the first journey, as well as 
four smaller dots beside the main object, on the second. 

The Captain of the Argosy, Bill Startup, and the 
first officer, Bob Guard, said the object on film 
appeared a little different than what they had observed 
with the naked eye. However, the differences are only 
minor. Bob Guard describes them a “a slightly 
different shape and color from what I saw. To my eyes 
it had a far more orange tint than (what) we saw on 

Unfortunately, Channel O in Melbourne, Australia, 
edited the film out of sequence, interjecting shots of 
the small object seen on the first flight with the larger 
object filmed on the return trip. A number of people 
(including the flight crew) were very critical of the 
editing (quite rightly, I think). 

The film prompted the Royal New Zealand Air Force 
to send an Orion patrol aircraft to the skies to search 
for unidentified flying objects in the Kaikoura/ 
Clarence area. It searched the area from midnight to 5 
a.m. on January 2/3, 1979, without seeing anything 

Guido Valentich, the father of the pilot who 
vanished over Bass Strait in October 1978, believes his 
son was “picked up” by a UFO. He said that the film 
gave him hope for his son. 


Three Television One reporters, Lloyd McFadden, 
Terry Olsen, and Frank Kazuakoukas, (the filmer), 
were sent to the Clarence area to keep watch for the 
well-known object, during the night of January 3, 
1979, the same night that the Air Force Orion was 

At 3:15 a.m. on January 3, the men saw a light 

MAY 1980 



rising over the tree-tops. It “hovered up to the left, 
then darted to the right again.” They filmed all this 
with a telescopic lens, and estimated that the object, 
which was yellowish-chalky, was at an altitude of 
10,000 ft. It had a reddish tinge when it first 
appeared, but this vanished when it stopped moving 
about. “It seemed to rotate on its axis and give off a 
pulsating glow,” they said. The object had a clearly 
defined central core “which seemed to radiate out and 
form various patterns.” These had looked like a star at 
first then like a folded umbrella. They also said that 
the object was about twice the size of the morning 
star. (Editor’s Note: Dr. Bruce Maccabee has 
established that this object was the planet Venus 
rising , which fact has been previously published in the 
Bulletin .) 

At 4:20 a.m. a second object, yellowish in colour, 
appeared in the sky. “There was a sudden intensity of 
light at first, then it scudded off across the sky,” they 

When the sun rose both objects were still visible, 
and they continued filming. The second object 
eventually faded out, but the first seemed to rise, and 
was finally lost from sight. 

Object filmed by David Crockett 
on December 31, 1978 


There were many other sightings in the area, in 
other parts of the country, and all over the world. This 
was a “mini-wave.” But the question of whether there 
were more UFOs about, or more sightings reported, or 
whether the increase was just an increase of reports 
published, remains unanswered. Here are some of the 

Three UFOs flew over Clarence on the morning of 
December 23, 1978. 

The day before, several people in Wellington 
reported seeing UFOs. 

A bright, spherical light was seen by people in 
Holland at 5 a.m. on the morning of December 27. 

Another bright, spherical light was seen by Lord 
Gainford at a London New Year’s Eve Party. 

Back in New Zealand, a reporter for the “Press” in 
Christchurch photographed a green light over his back 
y^rd in early January. 

In Oamaru, just two minutes after the TV One 
reporters began filming a UFO at Clarence, 320 miles 
north of Oamaru, police saw a light which appeared 
five times during the night. 

Westport residents saw an egg-shaped light at 
midnight on the night of January 4/5. 

On January 11, eelers in Hamilton saw a UFO which 
produced interference on their radio and frightened 
some nearby cattle. 

In late January, New Zealand’s Prime Minister and 
the Leader of the Opposition saw an object pacing the 
plane they were in as it passed over Kaikoura at 9 
p.m. one night. It was tracked on Wellington radar 
and the plane’s radar. 

In Kaikoura, on January 6, three witnesses saw a 
vertical cigar-shaped object. 

Nelson, New Plymouth, Invercargill, Auckland, 
Ashburton, Christchurch, Tauranga, and Karamea 
were among the other towns and cities in New Zealand 
which had reports of UFOs in the first three days of 
the New Year. 

Australia also had its share of flying saucers. On 
January 3, for example, a woman and her son in 
Queensland were chased by a banana-shaped light. 

Other countries reporting UFOs and even encounters 
of the third kind that week were England, Italy, 
Israel, USA, and South Africa. Reports could be found 
in the newspapers almost every day. 


As is usual after important UFO sightings, the 
“experts” move in and explain the sighting away ten 
or twenty times. 

The MOD, among many others, said the films were 
of Venus. However, in the case of the Crockett film, 
Venus was not even in the sky when the observers 
started filming. The TV One reporters said they could 
see Venus as well as the object they were filming. 

Other Planets blamed were Mercury, Mars, and 
Jupiter, but I doubt that these were the culprits, as 
they do not look like the objects on film when seen 
with a telescope. 

Balloons, Japanese squid boat lights, and car lights 
reflecting off clouds were also blamed, but I for one 
have never seen a car, balloon, or squid boat chasing a 
plane at 10,000 mph as was reported by Captain 
Powell, or doing a giant loop in 1/20 of a second, as 
filmed by David Crockett. 

Saucer-shaped clouds, warm diy air, light-reflecting 
sea-foam rising upwards, and ball-lightning were other 



> MAY 1980 

explanations, but as these phenomena can not last the 
duration of the sightings, I believe that they could not 
have been the cause of the UFOs. 

Owls covered by luminous fungi, and mutton birds 
reflecting the squid boat lights. Well, well, well. So 
now mutton birds and owls travel at 10,000 mph. I 
think not. 

Secret Russian or US missile! Why would Russia or 
the United States send their missiles to New Zealand 
to test-fly them, when they could use empty oceans or 
barren deserts in their own areas, where no-one would 
see them? 

Were the films hoaxes? Again I think not, for the 
reliability of the witnesses is unquestionable. Pilots 
and TV crews would have a lot to lose (i.e. their jobs, 
probably) if they went about faking UFO films. 

Meteors! Ah! This time too fast! Meteors move a lot 
quicker than any of the UFOs did, (even faster than 
the UFO that went 10,000mph, lasting five seconds), 
and only last for a fraction of a second. The UFOs 
were about for four hours. 

A mark on the window. This does not explain the 
TV One film, or the other minor sightings. And in the 
case of the Argosy sightings, could this mark on the 
window be radar-tracked? 

The pilot's left ear! Surely a cameraman can identify 
an ear and not mistake it for a UFO! But for anyone 
who can't, the left lughole is usually attached to the 
side of the head and not wandering about on its own, 
and therefore not likely to be filmed that way. 

And lastly, another of the more humorous 
explanations: an illuminated cabbage patch reflecting 
lights onto clouds. Apparently the cabbages were 
moving at the speed of the plane, or is this 
explanation also invalid? 

Now that I have recorded the facts and given my 
personal opinions on the some-what ridiculous 
explanations, I close the article with the statement 
that I believe these objects were unidentified. 

* * * * ♦ 


April 15-18 y 1980 - Santa Fe, New Mexico . Special 
Investigator Ken Rommel, a former FBI agent, said 
after nearly a year of investigation that “Mother 
Nature" is the primary culprit in cattle mutilations 
which have been mystifying Western states residents 
since 1975. “Predation, scavenger activity and normal 
decomposition" are the perpetuators of what many 
believe is criminal activity, said Rommel. 

Rommel investigated approximately 25 cow carcass¬ 
es reported as suspected mutilations in New Mexico 
since he took the job last May. All these animals' 
deaths can be explained by natural causes, he said, 
and critics .don't dispute that point. 

Rommel’s mutilations were not mutilations at all, 
those who have studied the phenomena in this area 

since 1975 insist. “He hasn't seen a classic mutila¬ 
tion," said State Police officer Gabe Valdez of Dulce. 

Critics also said Rommel did not bother to talk to 
the ranchers and the investigators who know the most 
about what mutilations involve. Game Warden Bob 
Johnston, who claims to have seen “maybe 45" real 
mutilations, said he would welcome a serious investi¬ 
gation into the phenomena, and would be glad to talk 

Rommel about his observations. 

State Historian Myra Ellen Jenkins said her re¬ 
search has revealed no record of reported cattle mutila¬ 
tions in New Mexico prior to those reported in recent 
years. She said she found no record in historic 
documents or folklore of the type of selective mutila¬ 
tion reported in many cases. 

U.S. Senator Harrison Schmitt said continued in¬ 
vestigation of cattle mutilations in New Mexico and 
other Western states will be requested. Conclusions 
reached by Rommel do not satisfy some persons who 
have been awaiting results of the probe, including 
himself, Schmitt said. 

* * * * * 


( conclusion ) 

By P . Wayne Laporte 

Although no one knows what causes the lights, its 
believed by many that seismic movements of the earth 
induce stress in crystalline rock. These stresses 
through the piezoelectric effect (setting up of an 
electrical potential in crystalline rock) generate electric 
fields — possibly as strong as several volts per meter. 
These fields very likely concentrate into the most 
susceptible localized areas — mainly fault lines and 
outcroppings. Theoretically, such fields with certain 
atmospheric conditions present, could conceivably 
create low level ionization of air molecules adjacent to 
the electric column projecting through the ground. 

Interestingly, a plot of several well known spook 
light locations on geological fault maps revealed that 
most occur on or near faults. The Brown Mtn. Lights, 
Brown Mtn., N.C. — the Maco Light, Wilmington, 
N.C. — Summerville Lights, Summerville, S.C. — the 
Silver Cliff Light, Westcliff, Colorado — the Gonzales 
Light, Gonzales, Louisiana — the Marfa Lights, 
Marfa, Texas — the Sand Springs Light, Sands 
Springs, Oklahoma — the Hookerman Light, Indian 
Point, New Jersey manifest in fault areas. The 
evidence seemingly points toward UFOs being some 
type of natural phenomenon. And, that's exactly what 
two Canadian scientists have concluded. 

Dr. Michael A. Persinger, a psychologist and 
research scientist at Laurentian University in Sudbury, 
Ontario, along with his research assistant, Gyslaine F. 
Lafreniere studied 1,2 42 reports of UFOs .and 4,818 
cases of other anomalies such as bigfoot encounters, 
sea serpent sightings, rock falls, animal falls, unusual 

MAY 1980 



cloud formations, flashes of light, and other unusual 
happenings. The two researchers found a positive 
correlation of anomalous events with geological faults 
and solar flare activity. They theorize that both solar 
flare and seismic movements can generate localized 
energy fields which under certain conditions create 
plasmoids and also interfere with the normal function¬ 
ing of the human brain. 

The two believe these fields can also cause the 
electromagnetic and physical side affects often exper¬ 
ienced by UFO close encounter victims. For example, 
they relate how these wandering transient fields could 
overpower the weaker fields associated with CBs, 
TVs, radios, car lights, and motors causing the 
disruption of such devices. And, close approach of 
these fields to humans could result in various 
physiological impairments such as skin bums, reddened 
eyes, vomiting, sleep disturbances, fatigue, nausea, 
menstrual disruptions, and even unconsciousness. 
Since plasmoids can be detected by radar, many radar - 
visual cases may be nothing more than trackings of 
quake lights. The brightness and duration of the NL 
encounter would be dependent on the intensity and 
longevity of the seismic induced electric field. In fact, 
some NLs might keep appearing and disappearing in 
the same area as seismic forces wax and wane. 

One problem in explaining away UFOs as a natural 
phenomenon is the sighting of craft-like UFOs. The 
two researchers, however, believe that witnesses 
coming into contact with these seismic fields could 
easily hallucinate sightings of physical UFOs, 
occupants, creatures, and out-of-place animals. They 
point out in their book Space-Time Transients and 
Unusual Events (Nelson-Hall, cl977) that stimulation 
of the brain by electric currents have caused many 
physiological effects including hallucinations. Further¬ 
more, the two also point out that seismic induced 
fields can be intense and last a long time. They relate 
how radio transmission in the area of Hilo, Hawaii was 
lost for one hour prior to the large quake that struck 
there on April 2 6th, 1973. Apparently, a large and 
long-lasting seismic energy field temporarily disrupted 
the local ionosphere. 

There are, however, some flaws in Per singer and 
Lafreniere’s theory. One, the prescence of a plasmoid 
implies the existence of an electrical column projecting 
up through the ground to sustain the ionization of air 
molecules adjacent to the column. Yet, in many NL 
cases - particulary in Indian Trail - the NLs have 
passed over houses, cars, and planes with no electro¬ 
magnetic effects. So, it appears the plasmoids are 
self-sustaining, free-floating, and not dependent on 
electric columns. Yet, several NLs in Indian Trail have 
been seen to approach the fault, change direction and 
fly away-both with and against the wind! 

Second, some fault line NLs have emitted light from 
only one side. For instance, on November 20th, 1977 
at, 10:21 pm, researchers with Vestigia, Inc. of New 
Jersey succeeded in filming, observing, and recording 
the presence of the Hookerman Ghost Light in Indian 

Point, New Jersey. The site is only a mile from the 
Ramapo Border Fault and the light generally appears 
during local seismic activity. However, an oddity was 
observed. Only observers on one side of the light could 
see it. This one-sided emission of light is a character¬ 
istic shared by some large nocturnal lights. 

The Summer 1978 Bulletin of the Texas-based 
Project Stigmata organization tells of an unusual UFO 
encounter which occurred in ’75 around Nara Nara in 
northeastern New Mexico,a seismic active area. At the 
time, livestock mutilations were occurring and resi¬ 
dents were reporting unmarked helicopters and roam¬ 
ing nocturnal lights. One night, several NLs were 
being observed. As planned, four ranchers took to the 
air in a small aircraft. All had cameras with infrared 
film. Ground observers who could see both the plane 
and NLs coordinated the intercept. For two hours the 
craft circled looking for the NLs below them. Strange¬ 
ly, none in the plane could see the lights. According to 
conventional physics, ionized balls of air should emit 
light in all directions! 

Third, multi-witness sightings where all see essen¬ 
tially the same type of spaceship seem to refute the 
hallucination component of Persinger and Lafreniere’s 
theory. This is especially so when landing traces tie in 
with what was observed. A case in point is the 1975 
O’Barski case that happened in New Bergen, New 

New Bergen is located on an unnamed fault which 
starts one mile north of the East River Fault in 
downtown New York. The fault is active. A tremor, 
which broke windows, jarred the area on April 13th, 
1976. It was here that 72-year old George O’Barski in 
January, ’75, at about 2 am, observed a metallic craft 
with evenly spaced and lighted windows. It came to a 
hover 10 feet off the ground some 60 feet away. A 
ladder was extended and down scampered several 
dwarf-like humanoids. Using shovels, they quickly 
scooped up soil samples into bags they were carrying. 
After securing sufficient samples, they dashed up the 
ladder. Then, the ladder was retracted and the craft 
ascended skyward, vanishing in about 20 seconds. Two 
other witnesses farther away also witnessed the 
“blast-off”. And, a window at a nearby apartment 
building mysteriously shattered as the spaceship was 
accelerating. But, what really convinced O’Barski that 
he wasn’t hallucinating were the holes in the ground 
exactly where the humanoids had been digging. 

One, energy fields are somehow causing material¬ 
izations to spontaneously appear. Theoretically, matter 
can be created from energy (mcD=E). However, this 
same law of physics says A LOT of energy is required 
to form a SMALL amount of matter. And, it’s hard to 
visualize a mechanical device or bioform being spon¬ 
taneously created. 

Two, extraterrestrial spaceships are using both 
natural and man-made electromagnetic power sources 
to “boost up’’their engines in order to zoom away into 
space or teleport (ala Star Trek) to another star 
system. However, this theory fails to explain why 



MAY. 1980 

UFOs suddenly appear in high energy fields. 

Three, UFOs are materializations of craft and 
entities from another dimension which co-exists with 
us. These beings possibly translate from this other 
world into ours at areas of high energy at either quartz 
deposits or where there are man-made energy gemer- 
ators. This absorption of energy results in their 
existence in our space-time continuum. To translate 
back, they must de-materialize which results in the 
“giving-up” of the previously absorbed energy. For 
some reason, this energy must be released in the 
presence of another energy field - again, either natu¬ 
rally occurring or man-made. Those practicing the 
ancient art of conjurring agree that there must be a 
raising of the human psychic (mental) energy both 
during the summoning and dispatching of the dimen¬ 
sional entity. Of course, everyone knows conjuration is 

An interesting sighting which suggests that some 
UFOs release energy prior to vanishing is the sighting 
of an object in September ’78 that flew around WBT’s 
broadcasting tower located on Spencer Mtn. in Lowell, 
N.C. Several people on the 14th saw a black spheroid 
with an orbiting white light hover over a housing 
developement. After lingering for about 40 minutes, 
the craft moved away traveling over powerlines to- the 
base of the mountain. Then, it ascended and circled 
the tower several times as it climbed upward. After 
clearing the tower, it shot up into a cloud and 

WBT personnel on the mountain said that no one 
that afternoon reported seeing a UFO. However, they 
did tell me the logs showed equipment damage at 3:30 
pm due to a lightning strike. Interestingly, 3:30 pm is 
the time the UFO was seen circling the tower, and 
there weren’t any thunderstorms in progress during 
the sighting. In fact, weather bureau records indicated 
clear weather with scattered clouds all day long. 

These three possibilities are speculative ones. I am, 
however,quite certain that some UFOs are appearing 
and disappearing in both natural and man-made 
electromagnetic energy fields. Maybe further research 
will give us the final clue as to the “why” of this 
bizarre fact. 

* * * * * 


September, 1978 - Lewiston . Peter Filicetti, a part- 
time officer in Lewiston, has been investigating sight¬ 
ings of a strange creature in the area for almost four 
years. He first came in contact with the creature in 
September, 1976, when he saw movement and heard a 
grunting noise in a cornfield behind his parents’ house. 
By the time he got there, whatever had made the noise 
had gone leaving only mashed down stalks and three- 
toed tracks. 

In September, 1978, two hunters, Kevin Mooradian 

and David Holt, brought Filicetti what they said was 
a head and two feet taken from a carcass they had 
found. Filicetti took some pictures of the head and let 
the hunters keep it, and the head has since disappear¬ 

The photos show a head shaped roughly like a cross 
between a bear’s and a gorilla’s. The head has two 
large tusks extending approximately 4 inches below 
^the lower lip. Filicetti said when examining the head 
he had yanked on the tusks and looked inside the 
mouth to check for their authenticity. The tusks didn’t 

The photographs, along with samples of hair and 
skin, were recently turned over to the Buffalo Museum 
of Science. Arthur Clark and James Dorr, of the 
museum, believe that the creature is a bear. However, 
Jon Erik Beckjord of Project Bigfoot disagrees. He 
believes the upper canine teeth were too long, the feet 
were “humanoid”, and there were no signs of ears in 
the photographs. Besides, he says, bear do not occur 
in Niagara County. 



By Joe & Doris Graziano 

ALABAMA - February 17, 1980 - Maxwell AFB. 
Security Sgt. James Hall and three other persons 
reported watching an unidentified object from 11:40 
p.m. Sunday until 1:45 a.m. Monday. The object was 
described as a large, bright light with flashes of red 
and blue. It moved erratically in the sky north of the 
base and there were no sounds heard by the witnesses. 

John Bolender got on duty manning the radar screen 
at midnight and began getting calls from people who 
said they had spotted the light. Between 2 and 2:30 
a.m he observed a target about 2 miles west of 
Maxwell. It moved northwest toward the Prattville 
Airport and Bolender lost contact about a mile south 
of the airport. Nobody was at the Prattville Airport at 
the time to confirm a sighting. 

KENTUCKY - February 12, 1980 - Jackson . Five 
employees of the Citizens Bank, Shirley Chandler, 
Margie Clemons, Paul Weaver, Ray Etta Pitts and 
Beth Ann Charles, were driving along state highway 
205 when they spotted two unusual lights. They first 
thought it was a truck or a car, but then red, green 
and blue lights also came on. 

The object moved from a hillside on their right, 
accelerated to a high speed, passed over the highway 
in front of the car and then suddenly disappeared. The 
object was described as oval-shaped with white, red, 
blue and green lights. The lights remained steady, did 
not blink or flicker, and the object made no noise or 
sound of any kind. After the object disappeared, Paul 
Weaver looked at his watch and it was 9:43 p.m. 

MICHIGAN - March 12, 1980 - Gladstone. Patrol¬ 
men Dave Marlin and Mark Hager were dispatched at 
12:55 a.m. to investigate a UFO call from an unidenti- 

MAY 1980 



fied woman. When they arrived to check out the report 
on North 15th St., they saw a bright light with a 
green light on the rear and red lights on the sides. 

They said the object was very large, very high, went 
up and down, did zig-zags and made no noise when it 
“hovered” over them. They also said the object was 
round like a saucer and was definitely not shaped like 
an airplane. Marlin said he could see a “metal sub¬ 
stance on its sides between the red lights, and the 
white light on the front was very bright with no beam 
coming out.” He estimated the size as three times that 
of a normal star. The two officers pursued the object 
as it moved and had it under observation until nearly 
2 a.m. 

. Delta County Sheriff's Department deputies Max 
Steichert and Dave Huckstep were also sent to check 
the sighting and observed the object for approximately 
8 minutes and followed it for another 30 minutes 
before it disappeared in a westerly direction. Sawyer 
AFB reported no airplanes in that sector and didn’t 
expect any until 6 a.m. the following morning. 

NEW JERSEY - March h8, 1980 - Trenton . An un¬ 
identified woman spotted a bright, glimmering, oval 
object near her home at 12;25 a.m. She left her car and 
went into the house to tell her mother. Five minutes 
later, a loud “whirring” sounded and the two ran out¬ 
side to see the object emerge from behind their house. 

The object was described as a green glow with a 
large, white light in the center and a couple of red 
lights around the edges. It moved in an odd manner, 
twisting, turning and bouncing, until it went out of 

March 14, 1980 - Wall Township . Patrolman Louis 
Wisniewski said four persons called between 8 and 8:30 
p.m. to report a bright light hovering up and down 
near Monmouth Airport. Thirty minutes later, another 
caller placed the UFO in the vicinity of a Racquet Club 
on Rte. 38. 

A Wall Township resident reported that he sighted a 
UFO with binoculars at 8:30 p.m. He described the 
object as a “large circular disc, 50 to 80 feet in 
diameter, and having a whitish-blue light in its 
center.” He added that “a light on top of it would 
come on for a minute, go off, then come on again.” 

OREGON - February 7, 1980 - Redmond . Don 
Winters was walking his dog at about 9:30 p.m. when 
he spotted an unusual object above them. He said the 
object looked like a big wheel that was spinning 
around. It had a multi-colored stripe down the center 
that wiggled back and forth. 

Winters returned to the house and told his wife, 
Edith, and the couple watched the object from a 
window for about 15 minutes. The object drifted west 
toward the Three Sisters mountains. Even the dog 
watched the object according to Winters. 

A North Redmond woman later reported that she 
spotted an object about 8:20 p.m. the same evening. 
She said the bottom part of the bright light was 
pinkish-red and the upper part was yellow, but that it 
appeared the whole thing was blue at times. She called 

her children to watch it and when she looked up again 
it was gone. 

UTAH - February 10, 1980 - Hyde Park . At least 
ten persons saw an unusual object which appeared 
twice, once around 7 p.m. and again between 8:15 and 
8:30 p.m. Jerry and Dallas Allen were milking cows at 
their family’s dairy farm when they spotted a large, 
orange illuminated form in the southern sky. They 
watched it head south and saw a shaft of light drop to 
the ground that looked like it had a ball-like shape on 
the end; then it disappeared. 

Mrs. Gail Dailey and her husband watched an object 
for 10 to 15 minutes as it stopped for a few seconds, 
negotiated a square maneuver slowly, moved east and 
then west to its original position. Mrs. Dailey, who 
observed the object through binoculars, said it was 
about one third the diameter of the moon and the color 
of hot, molten lava on the bottom. She could see a 
dark, rounded form on the top which was separated 
from the glowing underside by a narrow, orange band 
that looked similar to an electric stove element on 
high. “The intensity of its color seemed to pulsate 
three times before it finally disappeared,” she added. 

Kim and Tami Lamb and their father, Mario, 
spotted a big orange “thing” in the sky. Mr. Lamb 
estimated its size as Va to l A the size of the moon and 
orange in color with the illusion of burning like a fire. 
The trio went to the home of Dennis Ray where he and 
his wife observed the object momentarily. None of the 
observers of the UFO reported hearing any sound. 

Dr. Frank Salisbury of Utah State University, who 
has been involved in UFO study for several years, met 
with the witnesses and interviewed them individually. 
He concluded that the object was probably an amateur 
hot-air gas bag, but added that until physical evidence 
of a UFO is found or someone admits to sending up a 
hot-air gas bag, a definite conclusion could not be 

VIRGINIA - January 16-23, 1980 - Loudoun . 
Unidentified flying objects have been sighted by 
several Loudoun residents during the past few days 
and authorities can offer no explanation for the 

On Wednesday, January 16, at 7:15 p.m., Cecelia 
Wall of Sugarland Run reported a bright light hover¬ 
ing about 200 feet from the ground. She said that the 
light was emanating from a “very large craft” with a 
cone-shaped protrusion beneath it. She added that the 
craft had no noise associated with it. 

On Tuesday, January 22, Sandy Behrs of Sugarland 
Run saw a similar light hovering over Rte. 637 near 
her home. She described it as a big, bright spotlight 
and said it couldn’t have been a helicopter because she 
heard no noise. 

Pamela Franznick of Sugarland Run also saw a 
“very bright light” recently. She said the craft did not 
seem to be moving “because the light didn’t get any 
bigger or smaller.’’ But as she watched, the light 
veered off and eventually went out of sight. Franznick 
also said she heard no noise from the object but added 



MAY 1980 

she may have been too far away to hear a noise if 
there was one. 

Robert Logan, head of Dulles Airport control tower, 
said nothing unusual had been detected on their radar. 
The Virginia and Maryland State Police and the U.S. 
Park Police reported that they have not had a heli¬ 
copter in the area during the past two weeks. 

January 21 & 23 , 1980 - Tidewater . Recently, 
reports of mysterious lighted objects have been coming 
into police stations from citizens, as well as from 

On Monday, January 21, at 4:30 a.m., Sgt. G. A. 
Barrett and patrol officer H. J. Wright say they saw 
a brightly lighted, large, box-shaped object approxi¬ 
mately 800 to 1200 feet from the ground. Two calls 
concerning the lights came into the station from 
private citizens. 

Two Virginia Beach families reported seeing bright 
lights early in the morning on Wednesday, January 
23. Gary Smith, public information officer for the 
Portsmouth police, said the department has some 
unconfirmed sightings within the past couple of weeks, 
including one from a policeman, one from a police¬ 
man's wife and a “few others reported by citizens." 

The FAA as well as the Suffolk and Chesapeake 
Portsmouth airports say they haven't seen or heard 
anything out of the ordinary. 

WEST VIRGINIA - December 5, 1979 - Ansted. A 
rash of UFO sightings in December and January 
appears to have originated with Mrs. Norma White, 
owner of a sandwich shop. Mrs. White said her 
children first spotted an object the night of December 
5 in the northeastern sky. She looked and told them it 
was a star. She soon returned when the children 
started screaming that the “star" was moving. 

She said it had moved almost directly above the 
shop. “You could see lights on it, mostly a white light. 
When the lights went off you could see it was 
Y-shaped with a bunch of red lights and a green glow. 
All of a sudden it started shooting off things. It shot 
off a total of 12 red objects, then it disappeared. They 
were zig-zagging back and forth across the sky. That's 
when I got scared and called the police." 

Mrs. White said another bright object appeared to 
the west of Ansted later and shot off 6 more red 
objects. She added that there were 18 of them all 
together and they flew down like they were going into 
the woods. Her husband, Bob, said a white object 
later returned and seemed to pick up the red objects. 
He said he was trying to photograph the craft when it 
“shot straight up and disappeared." 

Judi Carmichael said she saw a glowing object in the 
western sky that changed shape from round, to 
oblong, to round again. She said they saw it again a 
few nights later and it had little red lights shooting 
out of it. 

Jay Debord, science teacher at Ansted Middle 
School, said he was at the sandwich shop one night 
and saw two yellow objects move around for about five 
minutes and then disappear. 

City Police Chief Jim Hall said he has received 50 to 
75 reports of unidentified craft. Chief Hall has never 
seen the objects, but says, “There's so many of them 
that's seen it, there must be something to it." 

SOUTH AFRICA - February 4, 1980 - Bedford & 
Kidd's Beach. One evening during the first week of 
February at 7:30 p.m., Len Meier and Basil Green of 
Kidd's Beach watched an unusual object for about 30 
seconds. It was described as low in the sky, bright and 
funnel-shaped, with blue and red sparks coming from 
the tail of the funnel. It did not fade away, but 
suddenly just vanished from sight. 

On February 4 at 7:45 p.m. Mr. R. Barnes and his 
wife spotted an object which also emitted a number of 
sparks near Bedford. 

♦ * * * * 


March 10 & 19, 1980 - Fowlerville . Joseph and 
Laurie White were returning to their apartment on the 
evening of March 10 when they noticed a bright white 
light following them eastward. According to Mrs. 
White, a plane was going up from the Livingston 
County Airport at the same time and there was no 
doubt in her mind that the white light was something 
altogether different. 

The object reportedly followed the Whites, stopped 
when they stopped, and changed direction when they 
did. The object disappeared when they went up to 
their third floor apartment, then re-appeared from a 
field across 1-96 and drifted toward the apartment. 
Mrs. White said the object was huge, had banks of red 
and green lights, and glided over them without a 

When she ran downstairs to go outside, Mrs. White 
said as she was passing a chandelier in the hall the 
fixture shattered on its mounting. “It didn't fall; it 
just shattered," she said. Mrs. White's brother and his 
girl friend, her father, mother, boss and a co-worker 
also reported seeing the UFO. 

Linda Hough was watching TV shortly after 10 p.m. 
on March 19 when she heard a loud sound outside. She 
looked out and saw a huge light in the sky skimming 
along just above the trees. 

She first thought it was a plane, but saw three 
planes in the sky that were small in comparison. She 
described it as having a “whole bunch of lights, maybe 
some red ones, but the white lights were brighter." 
She also said the noise was louder than a jet and it 
“vibrated the air." 

Linda watched the object for about 15 minutes until 
it was almost out of sight, headed west toward 
Lansing. She called nearby relatives and neighbors 
but they were either not at home or asleep and did not 
see the object. 

* * * * * 

5 September 1980 

Dear Mr. Lorenzen: 

Enclosed is a list of the TV stations and dates for our program “In Search Of...UFO Coverups.” 

If you get a chance to mention our show in your newsletter, or even better, to print the schedule, that 
would be great publicity for us, and I'm sure your readers would all be interested in the show. 

If not, I hope you get a chance to see the results of your initial consultation with Debbie of the 
best shows we've ever done, I believe. 

Thank you again for your help, 

Seth Hill, Writer/producer 














































































































































































Be sure to check with local station or newspapers for last-minute schedule changes!