Windows 98 Second Edition
There Is No Preview Available For This Item
This item does not appear to have any files that can be experienced on Archive.org.
Please download files in this item to interact with them on your computer.
Show all files
- Publication date
- Intel 80486DX2/66 MHz or a compatible CPU with a math coprocessor (Pentium processor recommended)
- 16 MB of RAM (24 MB recommended, it's possible to run on 8 MB machines with /nm option used during the installation process)
- At least 500 MB of space available on HDD. The amount of space required depends on the installation method and the components selected, but virtual memory and system utilities as well as drivers should be taken into consideration.
- Upgrading from Windows 95 (FAT16) or 3.1 (FAT): 140–400 MB (typically 205 MB).
- New installation (FAT32): 140–255 MB (typically 175 MB).
- VGA or higher resolution monitor (640x480)
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive (floppy install is possible but slow)
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device (optional).
Users can bypass hardware requirement checks with the undocumented /NM setup switch. This allows installation on computers with processors as old as the 80386.
Windows 98 VCACHE is not designed to handle more than 1.0 GB of RAM without little changes.
Both Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE have problems running on hard drives bigger than 32 Gigabytes (GB) and certain Phoenix BIOS settings. A software update fixed this shortcoming. In addition, Windows until XP without Service Pack is unable to handle hard drives that are over 137 GB in size with the default drivers, because of missing 48-bit LBA support – disc data corruption is likely. Third party patches are available to fix this shortcoming in Windows 9x.
- 2016-07-05 04:52:14
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3
Subject: Great operating system, especially for VMs
Subject: good active key.
Subject: works great
the only problem was not being able to change the bottom end resolution and color scheme, this driver solved it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/waxb1okj023djrr/VBE.iso
well, the other problem is IE working as you would expect, https://archive.org/details/FirefoxSetup18.104.22.168 works surprisingly good, but still has issues and can't connect to some HTTPS sites at all. Apparently http://kernelex.sourceforge.net is a solution, didn't try yet.
Subject: 98 os on strange drives
is use an EDDIE MAINTENANCE DISK .
this makes a mini chicago kernal that boots on machines that allow booting off a usb. for instance. it boots with no key code. presenting an win 98 logo for about asecond then it switches to dos mode. The resulting hard drive will ubgrade all the way to xp service pack 1 and boot just like that. SOME 95 AND SUCH IS REALLY PICKY about
having an active set hard drive no bigger than 2047
you set that by not enabling large disk support , when fdisk ing it.
Subject: Is this the official disc copy for 64-bit?
Wondering if the above will work in Virtualbox, I downloaded an ISO file from here which is more current then the above one: https://dekisoft.com/download-windows-98-iso-free-full-version/
Subject: Doesnt work!!
Explorer.exe (one of the most inportent apps in the windoes NT familly) is corrupted
Subject: Doesn't bloody work, stay the fuck away.
Subject: Better Link Found!
Subject: Tested and working on real PC
This serial worked for me:
Subject: Pefect OS along with 95 Me 2000 and XP for retro machines
I Installed Office 97 and games there
but there is a problem
this product key:RW9MG-QR4G3-2WRR9-TG7BH-33GXB did not work and said invaild key
but when i use this product key:VP9VV-VJW7Q-MHY6W-JK47R-M2KGJ it worked
i wont rate 4 stars i will rate 5 stars
the creator of this may forgot to check the key
but i wont be angry for that
this is a great product. try it in virtualbox or VMware
Subject: Can't get it to work
Subject: Product Key for this Software
I'm quite sure Windows themselves released this key for this unsupported software.