- Publication date
- UP and DOWN arrows to move your ship up and down the screen
- ALT/OPTION to thrust your ship
- CONTROL to fire
- SPACE to fire a "Smart Bomb"
- SHIFT to go into Hyperspace
- Z for Reverse
Adventure Vision, Apple II, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit, Browser, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, Dedicated handheld, Intellivision, Macintosh, PC Booter, TI-99/4A, VIC-20, Xbox 360
Williams Electronics, Inc.
Williams Electronics, Inc.
Defender put players in charge of a ship sent to protect mankind from wave after wave of attacking alien forces.
Armed with smart bombs and the ability to use hyperspace to move quickly around the planet, the player ship must fight against Bombers, Pods, Swarmers, Baiters, and Landers - that can capture the humanoids and transform them into deadly and relentless Mutants. Fail to save the humanoids from freefall or Mutant transformation, and the planet is destroyed.
From Mobygames.com. Original Entry
The first time they are launched, it will say '01 0000 COINS LEFT' and/or stop at "Factory settings restored". To continue simply press F2. If that fails, try F3, or F1 + F2.
- 2014-08-29 18:29:20
- Shooter / Flying
- Adventure Vision, Apple II, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit, Browser, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, Dedicated handheld, Intellivision, Macintosh, PC Booter, TI-99/4A, VIC-20, Xbox 360
- Williams Electronics, Inc.
- Arcade, Shooter
- Side view
- Williams Electronics, Inc.
- Mar, 1981
- Sci-fi / futuristic
- Space flight
- 2D scrolling
- Internet Archive Python library 0.7.0
Subject: Legendary game
Subject: r.j. rad
Subject: thx aesc
Played it on my Atari 2600 for Hours!
Subject: Does not work on a Macintosh computer
Subject: Getting Started Tips - Launch Game and Change Controls
... once I learned how to launch it and set up the controls to something more intuitive for me.
My tips on how I launch the Defender game and configure the controls:
START THE EMULATOR:
1) Click the power icon "Click to begin"
2) Wait for the emulator files to download and launch
START THE MACHINE (initial boot):
3) Wait as the emulator automatically boots the Defender arcade game machine
- The power on self-test confirmation screen "Initial Tests Indicate Unit OK" is displayed for a few seconds
4) On first boot, the machine enters operator mode
- A screen showing "WILLIAMS DEFENDER 01 0000 COINS LEFT" is displayed
* Skip ahead to the next step unless you have a need to make changes in operator mode *
- F2 (ADVANCE) - steps through test
- F1 (HIGHSCORE RESET) - makes changes
5) Reboot the machine (IMPORTANT!)
- *** Press F3 to reboot the machine and start the DEFENDER arcade game ***
- Again, the power on self-test confirmation screen "Initial Tests Indicate Unit OK" is displayed for a few seconds
- Note, this time the DEFENDER game launches, bypassing operator mode
6) Once the game loads, you can just start playing (press 5 then 1 if you don't want to read ahead) or review/change the controls settings
7) To change key binding settings:
- Press TAB
- Select Input (this Machine) - may need to use the up/down arrow keys to select, the press ENTER to register the selection
- Use the up/down arrow keys to select a key binding setting, then press ENTER, then press the key you want to bind
- Repeat the above step for each key binding setting. I like to use:
-- P1 ("Player 1") Up = UP arrow
-- P1 ("Player 1") Down = LEFT arrow (or DOWN arrow)
-- Fire = D
-- Thrust = S
-- Smart Bomb = RIGHT arrow
-- Hyperspace = SPACE
-- Reverse = A
- Note the other key bindings, like 5 to insert a coin and 1 to start a single player game
8) To leave the settings and return to the game
- press TAB
- Select "Return to Previous Menu" (and press ENTER)
- Select "Return to Machine" (and press ENTER)
9) Expand to full screen
10) Insert Coins (Press 5)
11) Start playing!!! (Press 1 for 1 Player Start, Press 2 for 2 Players Start)
S = Thrust
D = Fire
A = Reverse
SPACE = Hyperspace
Up Arrow = UP
Down Arrow = DOWN (Note: I prefer using the Left Arrow for DOWN - your choice)
Right Arrow = Smart Bomb
You may want to swap Hyperspace and Smart Bomb key bindings if you prefer, but I like it as above
Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
Subject: U can change the controls
press TAB key (just above caps lock ). this will bring up a tiny in game menu with barely readable text, shown in a box. (hit fullscreen to see it properly)
Use down arrow key to goto 2nd option 'input(this machine)' Press Return
Now go thru all the controls with up or down arrow keys to change them. Highlight a function press return key then choose your different key .
When finished scroll to the bottom of the menu that says 'return to previous menu' (press Return)
then in that menu scroll down to 'return to machine' (press Return)
Subject: cromebook users
Subject: Such a shame that controls make it unplayable
Pity - unless anyone knows a way to remap the controls?
Subject: I can't begin to play
I can not begin to play with my computer Mac. I only inserted coins but was not possible to begin to play.
Anybody knows how to do it?? or if is not possible to use with IOS?
Subject: Ahhh the memories!
Once you get used to the keyboard controls on this one, it's every bit as fun as the arcade original and every bit as challenging and addicting.
Subject: Works better in Google Chrome
I could not get the game to load in Microsoft Edge, but I was able to get it to load in Google Chrome. So, if you are having trouble, try different browsers.
Now to try to make it work with my X-Arcade Tankstick.
Subject: help starting the game
F3 advances gets you through the diagnostics and starts the game. It will play some sounds and show a multi-color static screen a few times. Then it starts displaying graphics from the game the way it looked in the arcade, and you're ready to play
Press the "5" key to add credits in order to play. (It's the same thing as putting a quarter in the machine.) You'll hear the game music start.
Press the "1" Key to actually start the game.
The controls are just terrible. You need to use your right hand to move the ship up and down with the arrow/scroll keys, but everything else is in your left hand
CTRL - fire
ALT (left key only!) - Thurst
Shift - Hyperspace
SPACE - smart bomb.
What's even worse is that due to the placement of the active keys, it's easy to hit the WINDOWS key on many keyboards, and then your start menu comes up and the browser screen is no longer receiving inputs from your keyboard. The game continues but you aren't controlling it - i.e. you die.
Also, it's a very easy/inevitable mistake that you'll press CTRL-ALT and an ARROW/SCROLL key at the same time and you'll tip your display by 90 or 180 degrees
This is just a very stupid layout. I wonder if it will work with a joystick controller. I haven't tried it yet.
It's still fun, but it will take forever to get good at it with this crazy layout. It's super hard.
Subject: Advance Key
Subject: Fun Game Needs more description
Subject: This is a rare review
Another item missing from above - use the Z key to reverse.
Great effort guys!
Subject: Press F3 to get things started
At the diagnostics screen, I had to push F3 to quit the diagnostics and start the real game. Just got lucky, pushing random buttons.
Subject: will not run