Skip to main content

tv   Campaign 2018 President Trump Post- Election News Conference  CSPAN  November 7, 2018 3:21pm-4:50pm EST

3:21 pm
out "we are pleased to announce er, chief of whitak staff to attorney general jeff sessions at the department of justice, will become the new acting attorney general. we thank attorney general jeff sessions for his service and wish them well." votedlion people yesterday. keep it here to continue to get your reactions to it. right now, we will go back to the president's news conference, about 90 minutes long, our coverage here on c-span. >> ladies and gentlemen, the president of the united states, accompanied by the vice
3:22 pm
president of the united states. pres. trump: thank you. thank you very much. please. it was a big day yesterday, incredible day, and last night, the republican party to find history to expand our senate majority while significantly beating expectations in the house for the midtown and midterm year. we did this in spite of a very dramatic fundraising disadvantage, driven by democrats, wealthy donors, and special interests, and very hostile media coverage, to put it mildly. the media coverage set a new record and a new standard. we also had a staggering number
3:23 pm
of house retirements, so it is a little tough. these are seats that could have been held pretty easily, and we had newcomers going in, and a lot of them worked very hard, but it is very difficult when you have that many retirements. we held a large number of campaign rallies with large, large numbers of people going to every one. to the best of my knowledge, we did not have a vacant or an empty seat. i'm sure you would have reported it, if you spotted one, including 30 rallies in the last 60 days. we showed the candidates that i supported achieved tremendous success last night. as an example of the 11 candidates we campaigned with during the last week, 9 won last night.
3:24 pm
this vigorous campaigning stopped the blue wave that they talked about. i don't know there was ever such a thing, but it would have been. if we did not do the campaigning, probably, it would have been. history will really see what a good job we did in the final couple of weeks in terms of getting some tremendous people over the finish line. they really are tremendous people, but many of them were not known. but they will be known. this election marks the largest senate gains for president's party in a first midterm election since at least president kennedys in 1962. there have been only four midterm elections since 1934 in which a president's party has gained even a single senate seat. as of now, we picked up, it looks like, three. it could be four, perhaps it could be two, but we picked up a lot.
3:25 pm
and most likely the number will be three. you people probably know that better than i do at this point, because you have looked at the more recent numbers. 55 is the largest number of republican senators in the last 100 years, and in the last 80 years, a sitting president's party has only gained a cumulative total of eight senate seats, averaging one per decade. so we picked up two, three, or four, that is a big percentage of that number. in the last 80 years, you think of that. only eight seats. in president obama's first midterm election, he lost six senate seats, including in the deep blue state of massachusetts. republicans captured at least four senate seat held by democrat incumbents, and these are tremendously talented, hard-working people that did this.
3:26 pm
indiana, north dakota, florida, missouri. we also won two open senate seats in tennessee. i want to congratulate our great champion, who did such a great job in tennessee, marsha. and in utah, and arizona is looking very good. really very good. a terrific job. that was a tough race, and she has done a fantastic job. in each of these open seats, democrats recruited very strong candidates with substantial fundraising and media support. we were getting bombarded with money on the other side. in the house, republicans dramatically outperformed historical precedents and overcame a historic number of
3:27 pm
retirements, the most house republican retirements in 88 years, 43 house republicans retired. now, i will say this. in many cases, they were chairmen of committees, and they left because they were not chairman. because republicans have a role for six years. what that does is wonderful in one way. it helps people come through the system, become chairman, and in another way, it drives people out. because when you are a chairman, they do not want to go and not be a chairman. you are a big deal, and now you are not doing that anymore. so they leave. we had a lot of them leave. i guess you can flip a coin as to which system is better. the democrats do the other. some of their folks have been on those committees for a long time as chairman. in 2010, president obama's first midterm, he lost 63 seats.
3:28 pm
by contrast, as of the most current count, it looks like around 27 house seats or something. we will figure that out pretty soon. we also had a slew of historic wins in the governor's races. the governor's races were incredible. against very well-funded, talented, and skilled democrat candidates, and people that worked very, very hard, respectfully, for those candidates, like oprah winfrey, who i like. i do not know she likes me anymore, but that is ok. she used to, but she worked very hard in georgia, very, very hard. if you look at them, with four governor's races crucial to 2020 and the presidential race, florida, iowa, ohio, and georgia. the big ones. florida, ohio, iowa, and georgia. you can't get much more important than that. they were incredible.
3:29 pm
they were actually incredible campaigns, too. incredible. as of right now, republicans will control the majority of governorships across the country, including three great women who worked very hard. the governors of alabama, south dakota, and iowa. they worked very, very hard. they are very talented. by expanding our senate majority, the voters have also clearly rebuked the senate democrats for their handling of the kavanaugh hearings. that was a big factor in how that was handled. tremendous energy was given to the republican party by the way they treated then judge kavanaugh, now justice kavanaugh. and expressed their support for confirming more great pro-constitution judges. candidates who embraced our message of low taxes, low regulations, low crime, strong
3:30 pm
borders, and great judges excelled last night. they excelled. they really -- i mean, we have a list of people that were fantastic. i am just going to point them out. mike bost, rodney davis, andy barr was fantastic, and when i went to kentucky for the most part, i did not campaign for the most part, i did not campaign for the house, but i did actually make a special trip for andy barr because he was in a very tough race in kentucky, and he won. that was a very tough race. the polls were all showing that he was down and down substantially, and he won. pete stauffer of minnesota. great guy. some decided to stay away. they did very poorly.
3:31 pm
i'm not sure that i should be happy or sad, but i feel just fine about it. carlos quebella, mike coffman -- too bad, mike. mia love -- i saw mia love, she called me all the time to help her with a hostage situation. being held hostage in venezuela, but mia love gave me no love, and she lost. too bad. sorry about that, mia. and barbara comstock was another one. i mean, i think she could have won that race, but she did not want to have any embrace. for that, i don't blame her. but she lost, substantially lost. peter roskam -- didn't want the embrace. erik paulsen didn't want the
3:32 pm
embrace, and in new jersey, i think he could have done well, but it did not work out too good. bob, i feel badly because i think that is something that could have been won. that's a race that could have been won. john faso, those are some of the people who decided for their own reason not to embrace -- whether it's me or what we stand for, but what we stand for meant a lot to most people. and we have had tremendous support. and tremendous support in the republican party, among the biggest support in the history of the party, i have actually heard, at 93% it's a record, but i won't say that because who knows? but we have had tremendous support. america is booming like never before. we are doing fantastic. we have larry kudlow here and he
3:33 pm
says the numbers are as good as we have ever seen, but he is a young man is so he has not seen that many numbers. you are a young man and you have not been doing this too long, but the numbers are as good as you have ever seen. if you have a question for larry we will do that. i want to send my warmest appreciation and regards to majority leader mitch mcconnell, who really worked very well together. we have been working very well together. we actually have a great relationship, people just don't understand that, which is fine. and also to perhaps -- it looks like, i would think, speaker nancy pelosi. and i give her a lot of credit. she worked very hard and she has worked long and hard. i give her a great deal of credit for what she has done and what she has accomplished. hopefully we can all work together next year to continue delivering for the american
3:34 pm
people, including on economic growth, infrastructure, trade, lowering the cost of prescription drugs -- these are some of the things that the democrats do want to work on, and i really believe we will be able to do that. i think we are going to have a lot of reason to do it. and i will say, just as a matter of business, i was with some very special people last night, we were watching the returns. if the republicans won and we held on by two, or one, or three, it would have been very hard having that many republicans to ever even get support among republicans. because there will always be one, two, or three people that for a good reason or bad reason or for grandstanding -- we have that too, you have seen that, you have seen that, plenty of grandstanding, but for certain reasons, you will always have a couple that won't do it. so that puts us in a very bad position. in other words, had we kept -- i am saying this for very basic
3:35 pm
reasons, common sense, it puts us in a very tough position. we win by 1, 2, 3, you will have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 even, come over and say look, we are not going to go along with this. all of a sudden, we would not be able to even get it in many cases out of republican hands before we sent it on to the senate. and now we have a much easier path. because the democrats will come to us with the plan for infrastructure, a plan for health care, a plan for whatever they are looking at, and we will negotiate. as you know, it has been very hard in the senate because we need essentially 10 votes from democrats. and we do not get those votes. because democrats really do stick together well. i do not agree with them on a lot of policy, but i agree with them on sticking together.
3:36 pm
they stick together great. so now we go into the senate. we do not have the 10 votes, and what happens? it doesn't get passed. even if it gets out of the house, it doesn't get passed. so even under the new concept of what we are doing, i say come on, let me see what you have. they want to do things. i keep hearing things about investigations, fatigue, like almost from the time when i announced i was going to run, they have been giving us this investigation fatigue. it has been a long time. they've got nothing. zero. you know why? because there is nothing. they can play that game but we can play it better, because we have a thing called the united state senate, and a lot of very questionable things were done, between leaks of classified information and many other elements that should not have taken place, and all you are going to do is end up in back and forth and back and forth, and two years is going to go up,
3:37 pm
and we won't have done a thing. i really respected what nancy said last night about bipartisanship and getting together and uniting. she used the word uniting and she used the bipartisanship statement, which is so important, because that is what we should be doing. so we can look at us, they can look at us, then we can look at them, and it will go back and forth, and it will probably be very good for me politically. i can see it being extremely good politically, because i think i am better at that game than they are, actually. but we will find out. i mean, we will find out. or we can work together. you cannot do them simultaneously, by the way. no, you can't. because if they are doing that, we are not doing the other, just so you understand. so we won't be doing that. now what happens is we sent it to the senate and we get 100% democrat support and we get some republican support.
3:38 pm
and if it is good, i really believe we have republicans that will help with the approval process and they will really help with the approval process. so, it really could be a beautiful bipartisan-type of situation. if we won by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, that would not happen. the closer it is, the worse it is. this way, they'll come to me, they'll negotiate -- maybe we make a deal, maybe we won't, but we have a lot of things in common on infrastructure. we want to do something on health care, they want to do something on health care -- there are a lot of great things that we could do together. now we will send it up. we will get the democrats and get the republicans, or some of the republicans, and i will make sure that we send something up that the republicans can support, and they are going to want to make sure they send something up that the democrats can support. so our great country is booming like never before and we are thriving on every single level, both in terms of economic and
3:39 pm
military strength, in terms of development, in terms of gdp, we are doing unbelievably. i will tell you, our trade deals are coming along fantastically. the usmca and south korea is finished. usmca has gotten rave reviews. not going to lose companies anymore to other countries. they are not going to do that because they have a tremendous economic incentive, meaning it is prohibitive for them to do that. so it will not be like nafta, which is one of the worst deals i have ever seen, although we have made some other pretty bad ones, too. now is the time for members of both parties to join together, put partisanship aside, and keep the american economic miracle going strong. it is a miracle. we are doing so well. and i have said it at so many rallies, i have said it so much you probably don't want to hear
3:40 pm
it again. when people come to my office, presidents, prime ministers, they all congratulate me, almost the same thing, on what we have done economically, because it is really amazing. and our steel industry is back. our aluminum industry is starting to do really well. these are industries that were dead. our miners are working again. we must all work together to protect our military. we have to do that. to support our law enforcement, secure our borders, and advance really great policy, including environmental policy. we want crystal clean water. we want beautiful, perfect air. air and water has to be perfect. at the same time, we don't want to put ourselves at a disadvantage to other countries who are very competitive with us and who don't abide by the rules at all. we don't want to hurt our jobs, we don't want to hurt our factories, we don't want companies leaving. we want to be totally
3:41 pm
competitive, and we are. and right now we have just about the cleanest air, the cleanest water we have ever had, and it will always be that way. we insist on it. so, environmental is very important to me. with that, i will take a few questions, if you like. whoa. i didn't know what happened. that was a lot of hands shooting up so quickly. there is a lot to talk about. >> mr. president, you talked at length just now about bipartisanship by the presumed speaker of the house, nancy pelosi talked about it last night, and i am sure that is encouraging for the american people. but do you really believe, given what the relationship has been like between this white house and the democratic party, that that will happen? pres. trump: i think there is a very good chance it will happen. >> if i could just finish -- will you have to compromise on certain issues to where it could hurt you in 2020, and do you
3:42 pm
expect the democrats take over the chairmanship of these important committees, you will get hit with a blizzard of subpoenas on everything from the russian investigation to your cell phone use to your tax returns? pres. trump: if that happens, then we will do the same thing and government comes to a halt, and i would blame them, because they now are going to be coming up with policy. they are the majority in the house. i expect that they will come up with some fantastic ideas that i can support on the environment, on so many different things. including prescription drug prices, which we have made a big dent in already, including some of the things that we are working on for the vets. we have gotten choice approved and a lot of things approved, but they have other elements we want. there are many things we can get along on without a lot of trouble, that we agree very much with them and they agree with us. i would like to see bipartisanship. i would like to see unity, and i
3:43 pm
think we have a very good chance -- and maybe not on everything, but i think we have a very good chance of seeing that. go ahead. >> one question on the lame duck, sir, and one on your cabinet. you toyed with the idea during the campaign of a shutdown before the midterms in order to secure border wall funding. are you prepared to go on a shutdown strategy during the lame-duck, since this might be your last best chance to secure that? pres. trump: not necessarily. look, i speak to democrats all the time. they agree that a wall is necessary. as you know, we are building a wall, and we are not building it all at one time, but in chunks. we need money to build the whole wall. not pieces of it all over. now we have the military, now we have other elements of a wall that are pretty nasty, to be honest with you, but it is nevertheless pretty hard to get through it. but no, i would like to see the wall. many of the people that we will be dealing with, you know, in 2006, they approved the wall,
3:44 pm
essentially. it was a strong border fence but it was the same thing. they all approved it. they all agreed. i have statements from every one of them and we have statements, saying we need the wall. they sound like me. but we do need it, because we have people coming -- and i am not just talking about the caravans, but we have people coming through our borders that you physically cannot put that many people -- it is a 2000 mile stretch. you cannot put that many people along that stretch to guard it. and even if you did, tremendous fighting would ensue. so, we need the wall. many democrats know we need the wall, and we are just going to have to see what happens. i mean, i will be fighting for it. they have done everything in their power to make sure -- i got the military, $700 billion, $716 billion -- the wall is a tiny, tiny fraction of the cost of that, but their whole agenda has been to try to not give me anything for the wall. i really believe politically they are hurting themselves. i actually think politically that is a good thing for me, but i want to get the wall up because we need it.
3:45 pm
>> so, no shutdown scenario? pres. trump: i cannot commit to that. but that is possible. >> and can you give us some clarity on your thinking currently about your attorney general and deputy attorney general? do they have long-term job security? pres. trump: i will answer that at a different time. we are looking at a lot of different things, including my cabinet. we are looking at different people for different positions. you know, that is very common after the midterms. i did not want to do anything before the midterms, but i will tell you that for the most part, i am extremely happy with my cabinet. i think mike pompeo has fit in so beautifully. he has done an incredible job. the secretary? pres. trump: we are looking at that, and i want to study what is being said. i think he is doing an excellent job, but we will take a look at that and probably have an idea about that in about a week. >> thank you, mr. president.
3:46 pm
pres. trump: go ahead. he gave me a fair interview the other day, so i might as well ask him a question. >> thank you, mr. president. you told me the other day that you are an open book. pres. trump: i think i am an open book. >> so, point-blank, democrats go after your tax returns, will you try to block that or will you allow it? pres. trump: look, as i have told you, they are extremely complex. people would not understand them. they were done by, among the biggest and best law firms in the country, same thing with the accounting firms. the accountants are very, very large, powerful firm from the standpoint of respect and how they are respected. big firm. a great law firm, you know it very well. they do these things, they put them in. but people don't understand tax returns. now, i did do a filing of over
3:47 pm
100 pages, i believe, which is in the offices. when people went and saw that file and saw the magnitude of it, they were very disappointed, and they saw the detail. you'd get far more from that, and i guess we filed that now three times. you get far more from that than you could from a tax return. when you are under audit -- and i am under very continuous audit because there are so many companies -- and it is a very big company, far bigger than you would even understand, but it is a great company. but it is big, and it is complex, and it is probably feet high. it's a very complex instrument. and i think that people wouldn't understand it, but if i were finished with the audit, i would have an open mind to it. i would say that. but i do not want to do it during the audit. and really, no lawyer, even from the other side they say, often -- not always, but when you are under audit, you do not subject it to that. you get it done and then you release it. so when that happens, if that happens, i would certainly have
3:48 pm
an open mind to it. >> so that means if the audit is still on, you will not turn over the tax returns? pres. trump: nobody would. nobody returns when it is under audit. go ahead. >> i was tempted to ask why you like oprah so much, but i think i will go on to the question -- pres. trump: why do i like ophra, what kind of question is that? we have a comedian here. i do like oprah. she is a person i knew well, she came to my place in palm beach often, and i have a lot of respect for her. unfortunately, she did not do the trick. youhe real question is, just said here from this podium -- are you offering a my way or highway scenario to the democrats? you are saying -- pres. trump: not at all. >> if they start investigating you and you start investigating
3:49 pm
them, can you compartmentalize that -- pres. trump: i know more than they know.>> if they start inveg >> can you compartmentalize that and still continue to work for them for what is best for the country, or are all bets off no, -- off? pres. trump: no, then it is a warlike posture. you heard me. >> since it is jim, i will let it go. >> mr. president, i wanted to challenge you on one of the statements you made in the tail end of the campaign in the midterms. pres. trump: here we go. >> that this caravan was an invasion. pres. trump: i consider to be an invasion. >> no, mr. president, the caravan was not an invasion. it is a group of migrants moving up from central america towards the border with the u.s. pres. trump: thank you for telling me that. i appreciate it. >> why did you characterize it as such? pres. trump: because i consider it an invasion. you and i have a difference of opinion. >> do you think you demonized immigrants during the election? pres. trump: no, i want them to come into the country, but i
3:50 pm
they have to come in illegally. they have to come in through a process, i want people to come in and we need the people. >> your campaign -- pres. trump: wait. you know why we need the people, don't you? we have hundreds of companies moving in. we need the people. >> your campaign had an ad that showed migrants climbing over walls and so on. pres. trump: they were not actors. it's true. they were not actors. they did not come from hollywood. these were people -- this was an actual, you know, this happened a few days ago. >> they are hundreds of miles away, though. they are hundreds and hundreds of miles away. that is not an invasion. pres. trump: honestly, i think you should let me run the country, you run cnn, and if you did it well, your ratings would be much better. that's enough. that's enough, that's enough. >> mr. president -- pres. trump: that's enough. >> i have one other question if i may ask on the russian investigation, are you concerned that you may have -- pres. trump: i am not concerned
3:51 pm
about the russian investigation because it is a hoax. that's enough. put down the mic. >> are you worried about indictments coming down? what,trump: i tell you cnn should be ashamed of itself having you work for them. you are a rude, terrible person and should not be working for cnn. go ahead. you are a very rude person. the way you treat sarah huckabee is horrible and the way you treat other people are horrible. you should not treat people that way. go ahead. defense, i have traveled with him and he is a diligent reporter. pres. trump: i am not a big fan of yours either. you are not the best. >> mr. president, over the course of -- pres. trump: just sit down, please. when you report fakes news --
3:52 pm
no, when you report fake news, which cnn does a lot, you are the enemy of the people. go ahead. >> mr. president, over the course of the last several days of the campaign, you repeatedly said americans need to fear democrats. you said democrats would unleash a wave of violent crime that endangers families everywhere. why are you are you pitting americans against one another? pres. trump: what, are you trying to be him? let me just tell you -- first of all, because they are very weak on crime. they have often suggested members and people within the democrat party at a high level have suggested getting rid of ice, getting rid of law enforcement. that is not going to happen. we want to be strong on the borders, we want to be strong on law-enforcement, and i want to cherish ice, because ice does a fantastic job. what they do for us is so -- really, it is so unrecognized a how good a job they do. so, we want to take care of them and we want to hold them very close, because they do a good job. >> to be clear, the question -- pres. trump: thank you very much.
3:53 pm
sit down. >> the question is why are you pitting americans against one another, sir? pres. trump: i am not, no i am not. i will tell you what -- we won a lot of elections last night. we did very well last night, and i think that is going to have a very positive impact. i watched nbc this morning. they did not report it exactly correctly, but that is -- that is the fact with nbc and nothing i can do about that. but i want this country to have protection. we want security in our country. i want security, peter. i mean, you maybe don't think it is so important, and i think when you don't have it, you are indeed unleashing crime. >> are you still going to sign the executive order on birthright citizenship? pres. trump: you'll ask me that question a little later. go ahead. >> thank you, mr. president. the investigation by special counsel robert mueller has been going on since last spring. it has been over a year. pres. trump: a long time.
3:54 pm
>> that has been hanging over your head during the midterms as well. is this an opportunity to end that investigation? would you consider removing mr. mueller from his position? pres. trump: i could have ended it anytime i wanted. i didn't. there was no collusion, there was no anything. i didn't. they went after hackers in moscow, i don't know about that. they went after people with tax problems from years ago. they went after people with loans and other things, nothing to do with my campaign. this is an investigation where many, many millions of dollars has been spent and there is no collusion. it was supposed to be on collusion. there is no collusion. and i think it is very bad for our country, i will tell you. i think it is a shame. -- bypoll come out today the way, from nbc, or at least i
3:55 pm
saw it on nbc where at least a majority of the people do not agree with the mueller investigation. or at least disapproval. they have a much higher disapproval. it should end because it is bad for our country. i am not just talking about the tremendous expense. the other thing is they should look at the other side. they only look at one side. they are not looking at all of the things that came up. during this investigation. they do not do that. they should also get people that can can be fair. not 13 or 14 or 17 -- i call them the angry democrats. they are angry people. and it is a very unfair thing for this country. forget about unfair to me. it is very bad for our country. >> mr. president, if it is unfair to the country and it's costing millions of dollars, -- pres. trump: i have answered the question. go ahead. i will give you voter suppression.
3:56 pm
sit-down, please. sit down. i did not call you. i did not call you. i did not call you. i will give you voter suppression. take a look at the cnn polls. how inaccurate they were. that is called voter suppression. >> thank you, mr. president. pres. trump: i am not responding. i'm responding -- excuse me, i am not responding to you. i am talking to this gentleman. would you please sit-down? excuse me. would you please sit-down? go ahead. >> thank you, mr. president. now that the hostile -- pres. trump: such a hostile media. it is so sad. you ask me -- no, you rudely interrupted him. you rudely interrupted him. go ahead. >> thank you, mr. president. do your demands remain the same to the united states congress on immigration in exchange for a daca fix? in exchange for an amnesty for 1.7 million, are you willing to change any of those demands you gave to congress earlier? pres. trump: i think we could really do something having to do with daca.
3:57 pm
what really happened with daca, we could have done good work on daca, but a judge ruled that it daca was ok. had the judge not ruled that way, i think we could have made a deal. once the judge ruled that way, the democrats did not want to talk anymore. we will see how it works out at the supreme court. go ahead. go ahead. go ahead. >> [inaudible] pres. trump: go ahead. which group? where you want me to take a question? go ahead, ma'am. either one. either one. >> or both. are you together? >> we are not together. mr. president, how do you respond to critics who say that your message on the campaign towards minorities has been polarizing? pres. trump: i don't think it has been at all. muslim women, one is not on the house which made history. pres. trump: what?
3:58 pm
>> is this a rebuke of the message? is this more reflective of multiethnic are multi-cultural america? pres. trump: i can only say this. you look at the employment and unemployment numbers for african-americans, for asian-americans, for hispanic americans, they are at an historic high. a poll came out recently where my numbers with hispanics and african-americans are the highest. the best they have ever been. that took place two or three days ago. i have the best numbers with african-american and hispanic american that i have ever had before. and you saw the same polls. i can say this. you look at median income. all of the employment and unemployment numbers. they are doing the best they have ever done. it reflects, it is really reflective in the polls. >> mr. president, i am from brooklyn, so you will understand me. pres. trump: i understand you very well.
3:59 pm
>> my question is on health care, how is it possible to keep premiums down and cover pre-existing conditions without the individual mandate to fund it? pres. trump: first of all, what we are doing, and if you look at the department of labor also, secretary a's are -- azar, what they have done, they have come up with some incredible health care plans, which is causing great competition and driving prices write-down. we are getting rid of the individual mandate because it was very unfair to a lot of people. at the same time we are covering the people at the same time that need it. the individual mandate was a disaster because people who could not necessarily afford it were having to pay for the privilege of not having to pay for health care. and it was bad health care at that. so we are working on many plans for health care. we are creating tremendous competition. we had obamacare repealed and replaced. unfortunately one person changed his mind at the last moment.
4:00 pm
we would have repealed it and replaced it. now, we are doing it a different way. we are doing it a different way. but getting rid of the individual mandate is a popular thing and a very important thing. and people very much appreciate it. go ahead. no, that is enough. go ahead. >> two questions. one, you went to the results. what did you learn the most from looking at those results? was there one thing that as you review them, you will change your strategy, not just for congress, but going forward. pres. trump: i think people like me and people like the job i'm doing, frankly. if you look at every place i went to do a rally, i could not do it with everybody. and it was very hard to do it with people in congress. because there are just -- there would be too many stops. but i did it with the senate.
4:01 pm
i did it with andy barr, as you know. and he won. he won a very tough race. it was a very tough race in kentucky. and he was down quite a bit. and i went there and we had a very successful -- some of you were at that rally. and he won that race. i can only do that so much because there were so many players involved. we had tremendous success with the senate. >> mr. president, one more question if you don't mind. a lot of people are going to be rushing to iowa and new hampshire. you know that the democrats are already looking to 2020. do you want to lock down 2020 right now? will the vice president be a running mate in 2020? pres. trump: i have not asked him, but where are you? mike, will you be my running mate? stand up -- no, i'm only kidding. the answer is yes. that was unexpected.
4:02 pm
but i feel very fine. yeah, please. >> thank you, mr. president. going back to the russian investigation and potential investigations from the now-democratic majority in congress, some say you could stop all this by declassifying -- pres. trump: i could fire everybody right now. but i don't want to stop it. politically, i do not like stopping it. it is a disgrace. it should have never started because there was no crime. everybody has conflicts. they all have conflicts over there that are beyond anything that anybody has ever seen in terms of conflicts. from the fact that people ask for jobs, from the fact that they have very good friends on the other side. like really good friends like comey, who by the way lied and leaked, and also leaked classified information. nothing happened there. it might, perhaps. maybe something is happening
4:03 pm
that i do not know about. i stay away from it. but you know what i do? i just let it go on. they are wasting a lot of money. i let it go on because i do not want to do that. you're right, i could end it right now. i could say that investigation is over. but it is really, it's a disgrace, frankly. band it's an embarrassment to our country. and it's an embarrassment to the people of our country. and it's too bad. go ahead. >> what about the declassification of the documents? pres. trump: we are looking at that very seriously. declassification, we are looking at that very seriously. >> can i ask one more question? pres. trump: it is amazing how people on the other side do not want the documents declassified. i wanted to wait until after the midterms. >> can i ask you one more question, mr. president? ok, thank you. >> thank you, mr. president. you have campaigned as a pro-life president. you now have a divided congress -- pres. trump: very tough issue.
4:04 pm
>> how are you going to push forward your pro-life agenda? pres. trump: i'm going to push. i have been pushing. but it is a tough issue for the two sides. >> so what are you going to do? pres. trump: i will not be able to explain that to you because it is an issue that is a very divisive, polarizing issue. but there is a solution. i think i have that solution. and nobody else does. we are going to be working on that. yes, go ahead. she took your place, but that's ok. >> mr. president, just a quick question on rural america, . states like indiana and north dakota, folks turned out for republican candidates. can you talk about what that means for your agenda in terms of trade and the farm bill? pres. trump: the farm bill is working really well. we are looking to get rules approved.
4:05 pm
the democrats are not giving us the 10 votes that we need. everybody was it. the farmers wanted. but the democrats are not approving the farm bill. we could have it very fast without the work rules, but we want the work rules in. and the democrats do not want to vote for that. at some point, they will have to pay maybe a price. go ahead. >> thank you very much, mr. president. have you seen any evidence that russia or china intervened in yesterday's election? pres. trump: we are going to make a full report. and unlike the previous administration, we have done a lot of work on that issue. if you speak with the fbi and the department of justice, speak to homeland security, we have spent a lot of time. it gets very little coverage in the papers. you cover the nonsense part, but not the important. this is very important. we have been working very hard
4:06 pm
on china and russia and everyone else, looking into our elections or meddling with our elections. people tend not to write about it. we have worked very hard. >> what you intend to say to president xi and to president putin when you meet with them? pres. trump: i have a good relationship with both. i know president xi better, but i think i have a good relationship with both. i actually had a very good meeting in russia that you people did not agree with, because it didn't much matter, frankly. but the fact is that had a very, very good meeting, very, very good meeting with president putin. a lot was discussed about security, about syria and ukraine. about the fact that president obama allowed a large part of ukraine to be taken. right now, you have submarines off that particular parcel we're talking about. >> that was president putin who annexed crimea, sir. pres. trump: that was president obama's regime.
4:07 pm
that was not during me. >> but it was president putin's annexation. pres. trump: it was president obama who allowed it to happen. it had nothing to do with me. go ahead. go ahead. >> thank you, mr. president. sky news. you are a man who likes to win, but last night was not an absolute victory. pres. trump: i will be honest -- i thought it was a very close to complete victory. when you look at it from the standpoint of negotiation and dealmaking, because it is all about dealmaking -- again, if we had the majority and we had one or two or three votes to play with, we would have been at a standstill. i really believe that we have a chance to get along very well with the democrats. and if that is the case, we can do a tremendous amount of legislation. and get it approved by both parties.
4:08 pm
so, i consider it to be -- look, i won georgia. president obama campaigned very hard in georgia. oprah winfrey campaigned very, very hard all over the television. i said this is going to be tough. i only had me. i didn't have anybody else. and i went to georgia. and we had one of the largest crowds that anybody here has ever seen ever at a political rally. you know what? he won. and he won actually by a pretty good margin. then, we went to florida. and they had celebrities all over the place. and a man who happens to be a very smart person was running. ron desantis. and people did not give him a chance. and i went and we had -- we did some great work. and they have a great governor of the state of florida. and then we talked about the senate. a lot of money was pouring in for the democrat. this is a man who has been in
4:09 pm
office for, like, 44 years or something. this is a man who is professional at getting elected. bill nelson, not easy to beat. they had a lot of celebrity coming out for nelson. they had everybody coming out for nelson. and, rick scott won. and i helped him. and i think we have done an amazing job. and you can look at many other places. you just take a look at some of the other places. we just got the word that in iowa, you have a governor who just got extended. just got extended. and numerous other places. i think it was a great victory. i will be honest, i think it was a great victory. and actually, some of the news this morning was that it was a great victory. but if you look at it from the standpoint of gridlock, i think there will be much less gridlock because of the way this is going. sit down, please. go ahead. >> thank you, mr. president. let me ask you about one of the
4:10 pm
campaign promises you made on the stretch, which is a 10% tax cut for the middle class. you just talked about gridlock. democrats now run the house ways and means committee. if it means a tax cut of some kind for the middle class but that means raising rates elsewhere, corporations, on the wealthiest, is that a trade-off you would be willing to make? pres. trump: you know that this will now have to be proposed. if we did it now, we would not have the votes in the senate. we would need 10 democrat votes. we probably could not get them. if we could we could pass them easily in the house but there is no reason to waste time because you do not have the votes in the senate. but if the -- as an example, if the democrats come up with an idea for tax cuts, which i am a big believer in tax cuts, i would absolutely pursue something even if it means some adjustment. >> adjustment on which side? pres. trump: to make it possible. i would love to see a tax cut for the middle class. now, that is going to be their decision. they are going to have to make that decision. as you know, if we bring it up
4:11 pm
to the senate we would need democrat votes. 10. we do not have the votes. >> just because the markets would want to know, with that -- pres. trump: i would certainly be willing to do some kind of adjustment. >> two questions. you had talked about leaders who had called to congratulate you. did president putin called to congratulate you, and will you meet him at lunch this coming weekend? pres. trump: as i understand it we are having a lunch for numerous countries. i will be there. i believe president putin is going to be there. we do not have anything scheduled. i do not think we have anything scheduled in paris. and i'm coming back very quickly. i'm going over. there is a great event. to be a very going important and i believe a very beautiful ceremony. i am looking forward to going. we are representing the incredible heroes of the world. but the heroes of our country from world war i.
4:12 pm
so i will be going there, and i am very proud to go there. i don't think we have time set aside for that meeting. that being said, we are very shortly meeting again at the g20 where he will be there and i will be there, and that is where we are actually looking forward to meeting. we will be having a lunch. but i think there will be many people will be there. >> did he call you and couldtulate you, and if i ask you to talk about the staff changes you expect in the white house while you are here? we are eager to hear about them. is general kelly going to stay on? pres. trump: as we make changes, we will sit down and talk to you about it. it is no great secret. a lot of administrations make changes after midterms. i will say that for the most part i am very, very happy with this cabinet. >> what about in the white house? you have a lot of white house staff talking about leaving g. general kelly is believed to be
4:13 pm
leaving. pres. trump: people leave. i have not heard about john kelly. but people leave. they come in. they are here. it is a very exhausting job. although i love doing it, i must tell you. but it is exhausting for a lot of people. they start off and they are young people. they are here for two years and they are old by the time they leave. it is quite exhausting. but i love doing it. and i tell you, there will be changes. nothing monumental. i don't think very much different than most administrations. and we have many people lined up for every single position. any position. everybody wants to work in this white house. we are a hot country. this is a hot white house. we are a white house that people want to work with. ok. no, no, please, behind you. go ahead. >> this has been a very challenging campaign. this has been a very challenging campaign.
4:14 pm
pres. trump: very challenging campaign. >> a lot of abuse and violence. people have died during the course of this campaign. is there any way in which you think the temperature could be lowered? perhaps peace could break out with the media? perhaps your bipartisan relations could produce some change? or will there be more of the same? pres. trump: it is a very fair question. i would love to see unity and peace and love and any other word you would like to use. obviously i think we had to, especially at this particular junction, we had to wait until after the midterms are over. now, they are over. if they would cover me fairly, which they do not. which they do not. i am not saying that in a hostile way. i get extremely inaccurate coverage. i can do something that is fantastic and they will make it look like not good. and i don't mind having bad -- if i make a mistake, cover it.
4:15 pm
i would like you to cover it fairly, but cover it. when you do something terrific, look how little the economy is talked about. a poll came out this morning talking about how little the networks -- i do not think they included cnn, but how little the three networks talk about how good the economy is. how little. almost not at all. if president obama had this economy -- and, by the way, if that administration through somebody else kept going, you would have had -4.2 instead of positive 4.2 growth. you would have had negative. it was heading down. but the point is this -- i would love to see unity, including with the media. because i think the media -- i will be honest, i think it is a very divisive thing for our country. you would be amazed how smart people are were reading your stories and watching. you'd be amazed how perceptive and smart they are. they get it. and it really does bring
4:16 pm
disunity. i didn't -- excuse me. you are not called on. go ahead. go ahead. go ahead. please. >> thank you, president trump. shortly after your victory speech on the historic night of november 2016, i asked to what single factor you most attributed this victory to. pres. trump: you have to speak up. >> on the night of your victory, i asked you right after your speech to what you would attribute your victory. you pointed to the ceiling and said that it was god. based off of that, how would you say over the last two years god plays what kind of a factor he plays in the day-to-day execution in your execution of the office of the president? pres. trump: god plays a factor in my life and god plays a factor in the lives of many people i know well in this room. and your vice president. god plays a very big role in my life. >> a quick follow-up.
4:17 pm
which lost last might surprise you the most and which of these unsuccessful candidates are you most likely to consider for this administration? pres. trump: there were some losses last night and there were some victories less night that have been incredible. i mean, there were victories last night that nobody would believe. especially based on the suppression polls. they had a lot of suppression polls. there were some victories last night that were very surprising. but i am not going to pick out. >> would you consider any for any administration posts moving forward? pres. trump: what? >> would you consider any of the people who lost last night for a post in the administration? pres. trump: i know a couple of very good ones. yeah, i would, actually. go ahead. >> mr. president. mr. president. i asked you on monday if there is anything you regret in your first two years. you said that at times, you could have and should have used a softer tone. your critics and skeptics say
4:18 pm
they are not holding their breath on that happening. would you say you have to change sedr tone to get things pas through congress -- pres. trump: i would love -- i would be very good in a low tone. but when things are done not correctly about you, written about you on television, you have to defend yourself. it is much easier than what i have to do. i have to go around. and going around is much easier than facing somebody. when you are not treating fairly, you have no choice. i would love to have an even, modest, boring talk. -- tone. i would be very honored by that. but when you have to fight all the time because you are being media, youted by the cannot do that. >> not with the media, but what
4:19 pm
about with congress? pres. trump: please, go ahead. where are you from please? >> japan. pres. trump: say hello to shinzo. i am sure he is happy about tariffs. >> my question. how do you focus on the issue with japan. i really don't understand you. trade with japan? we are dealing with japan right now on trade. japan is a great country. you have a great prime minister. he just had a very successful election. he's a very good friend of mine. he is one of the people i am closest with. i tell him all the time that japan does not treat the united states fairly on trade. they send millions of cars and pay low taxes. they don't take our cars. and i am not blaming japan. i'm blaming the people that were in charge of the united states
4:20 pm
for allowing that to happen. but as you know, we have close to a $100 billion trade deficit with japan. and japan has treated us very unfairly. but do not feel lonely because you are not the only one. >> how about north korea? how about north korea? >> thank you mr. president. two questions. the first one, secretary pompeo's talk with north korea has been postponed. what is happening there? and will your meeting still happen? pres. trump: we are going to change it because of trips that are being made. we are going to make it into another day. we are very happy how it is going with north korea. we are in no rush. the sanctions are on. >> do you still expect to meet kim jong-un? pres. trump: the sanctions are on. the missiles have stopped. the rockets have stopped. the hostages are home. the great heroes have been coming home. mike pence was in hawaii where
4:21 pm
one of the most beautiful ceremonies that anyone has ever seen for the fallen, these are great heroes. very important. when i was running, a lot of people, as many years ago as it was, in many cases grandchildren they were asking about that -- they are coming home. they are being provided to us as we speak. but i am in no rush. i am in no rush. the sanctions are on. i read a couple of times and i've seen a few times where they say he has done so much. what have i done? i would love to take the sanctions off. but they have to be responsive. it's a two way street. we are not in any rush. there is no rush whatsoever. before i got here, they were dealing with this for over 70 years. and i guess on a nuclear front for 25 years. that's a long time. i have been there. i probably left singapore four or five months ago.
4:22 pm
we probably made more progress than they made in 70 years. and nobody else could have done what i have done. but i will say this very simply -- we are in no rush. the sanctions are on. and whatever it is. but that meeting is going to be rescheduled. >> your meeting with kim jong-un, will it happen in the next months? pres. trump: sometime next year. sometime early next year. >> now it has been concluded, have you repaired your relationship with prime minister trudeau? pres. trump: yes i have. we have a very good relationship. >> thank you very much, mr. president. we have been talking about division in this country right now. some of the statistics are disturbing to everyone. anti-semitic incidents have increased 57%, hate crimes are on the rise. why do you think that is? and what will you do about it? pres. trump: it is very said to see it.
4:23 pm
i hate to see it. and in fact if you were with us the last time we met, prime minister netanyahu said that this president has done more for israel than any other president. those words. those exact words. jerusalem, protection, working together. so many different things. but the big thing is jerusalem. many, many presidents have said they are going to build the embassy in jerusalem. never happened. making it the capital of israel. never happened. never happened. but it happened with me. and quickly. not only did it happen, we built the embassy. that would have taken another 15 or 20 years and cost probably billions of dollars and we did it for a tiny amount of money. it is already done. it is open. nobody has done more for israel than donald trump. and the nice part is that it is not me saying it. that it is prime minister netanyahu. >> but what about the
4:24 pm
divisiveness in this country? what about healing the divides in this country? pres. trump: we want to see it field. and one of the things i think can help heal is the success of our country. we are really successful now. we have gone up $11.7 trillion in worth. if you know, china has come down tremendously. tremendously. china would have superseded us in two years as an economic power. now, they are not even close. china got rid of their china 25 because i found it very insulting. them. that to i said china 25 was very insulting because it means that in 2025, they are going to take over economically, the world. i said, that is not happening. and we have gone way up. them. they have gone down. and i don't want them to go down. we will have a good meeting. we will see what we can do. but i have to say this, billions
4:25 pm
of dollars will soon be pouring into our treasury from taxes that china is paying for us. and if you speak to mr. pillsbury, who probably is the leading authority on china. he says we have never seen anything like it. you know who else hasn't? china hasn't. we are going to try to make a deal with china. because i want to have great relationships with president xi as i do, and also with china. >> how do you see your role as a moral leader? pres. trump: go ahead. there are so many people. >> as a moral leader. pres. trump: i think i am a great moral leader and i love our country. go ahead, please. >> you said earlier that democrats had a choice that you would not work with them on legislation if they were investigating you. do you not have a matter in the choice as well? pres. trump: i think that is very inappropriate. we should get along and get deals done.
4:26 pm
now, we can investigate. they look at us, we look at them. it goes on for two years. at the end of two years, nothing is done. what is bad for them is being in the majority, i am just going to blame them. they are the majority. honestly, it makes it much simpler for me. they will be blamed. i think nancy pelosi -- i put that statement out on social media today about nancy pelosi. frankly, i think she deserves, and a lot of people thought i was being sarcastic, i think she deserves it. she has been fighting long for it. i really mean it. there was nothing sarcastic about it. it was really meant with very good intentions. i think she deserves it. she has fought long and hard. she is a very capable person. and you know, you have other people shooting at her, trying to take over the speakership. appropriate, it is
4:27 pm
if we can and if we will, if she has a problem, i think i would be able to very easily supply her with the necessary votes. that is not said it any other way other than that i really believe she deserves the position. i also believe that nancy pelosi and i can work together and get a lot of things done. i think we will get a lot done. >> why can't you do that while subpoenas are coming? pres. trump: excuse me? >> why can't you work together why there are investigations in process? pres. trump: i think we will. the election is over. now, everybody is in love. then i see the hostility of questions. i come in here as a nice person wanting to answer questions. and i have people jumping out of their seats screaming questions at me. no, the election is over. and i am very -- i extraordinarily happy. ami really am. by the way, i would tell you if i was not. look at what happened in florida. look at what happened in georgia.
4:28 pm
look at what happened in so many locations with governorships. nobody talks about the governorships. look at the amount of work that was given to the other candidates against my candidate. and i mean, i am extraordinarily happy. and if i wasn't i would let you know. you look at midterms, and you look at elections generally, you see it is very rare that a party who has the presidency does well. we did unbelievably well. to win florida, both the senate and the governorship, against two very talented people, we did incredibly. to win georgia when you had some of the biggest stars in the world campaigning endlessly, including president obama? i will tell you what, this was a great victory for us. and again, from a dealmaking standpoint, we are all much better off the way it turned out. because i really believe if the democrats want to, we can do a tremendous amount of great legislation.
4:29 pm
yes, please. go ahead. should we keep this going for a little while? >> yes, i think we should keep this going. pres. trump: when you get bored, would you tell me? tell me. hopefully not. i don't want to overstay. go ahead. >> hi, mr. president. on the campaign trail, you called yourself a nationalist. some people saw that as embolden white nationalists. pres. trump: such a racist question. >> there are some people who say that the republican party is supporting white nationalism because of your rhetoric. what do you make of that? pres. trump: why do i have my highest poll numbers ever with african-americans? why do when have among the highest poll numbers with african-americans? why do i have my highest poll numbers? that is such a racist question. honestly. i know you have it written down. let me say it, that is a racist question. you know what the word is? i love our country.
4:30 pm
i do. you have nationalists, you have globalists. i also love the world. and i don't mind helping the world. but we have to straighten out our country first. we have a lot of problems. excuse me, to say what you said is so insulting to me. >> you talked about middle-class tax cuts on the campaign trail. how will you get democrats to support that policy? >> you have to ask them. >> you know what my plan is, if they say, i'm all for it. if they say no, there's nothing you can do. >> thank you, mr. president. you said many times on the campaign trail that you did not want nancy pelosi to be speaker. you suggested that. you spent a lot of time talking about her. >> let me answer it. would i have preferred winning?
4:31 pm
i would almost have to think about that. i certainly like to win. if i win, she is not going to be speaker. >> what did she say to you? >> we had a very warm conversation. she loves this country. she is a very smart woman. she has done a very good job. >> did she promise that they would not seek to impeach -- >> we didn't talk about impeaching. do you impeach somebody because he create created the greatest economic success in the history of our country? let's impeach him because the country is so successful. has he done anything wrong? no, but let's impeach him anyway. they also said let's impeach justice kavanaugh. now they have the second one coming out. i hate to say this. after him, we are going to mpeach the vice president.
4:32 pm
mike pence does not get impeached for anything. let's impeach the president and then the vice president. these people are sick. they have to get their bearing. when you ask about the vision, -- division, they are the ones that caused the division. they caused tremendous division. reporter: regarding all the retirements in the house -- president trump: who is retiring? reporter: you said many of the retirements that happened in the house made it difficult for you in this election cycle and it was because they were chairmanships that were vacated. paul ryan also retired. why do you think that is? president trump: in jeff flake's case it's me. pure and simple. i retired him. i did the country a great service. he's retired. i'd like to call it another
4:33 pm
word, but we're going to treat him with great respect. o ahead. jeff flake, that is another beauty. >> two questions. >> one. >> you seem to enjoy this venue very much. are you going to make this standard press conference a staple of the remaining two years? or will you have more briefings with sarah sanders? >> i think sarah is fantastic. where is sarah? sarah, you represent me so well. she has been horribly treated. >> she is going to stay on? >> we were talking about it the other day. i figured, i will not do any real interviews. and then they say, why isn't he doing any? the last couple of months, i decided i would do a couple. and then they say, why is he doing so many press conferences? when i do not do them, you say
4:34 pm
what is wrong. when i do them, you say what is wrong. when i go in the middle, you say what is wrong. you complained about access when i purposely stayed away from the press. because i wanted to see how it worked. can i be honest with you? it did not work well. >> so sarah will stay on as press secretary. >> please, go ahead. >> i personally think it is good to have you here -- >> actually, i do too. >> i have two questions for you. rare opportunity. just a point of clarification on the tax returns. you brought up the audit. that does not prevent you from releasing them.
4:35 pm
president trump: i didn't say it prevented me. lawyers will tell you not to do it. what's your next question? take a more exciting question. >> michael cohen recently said you called black voters tupid. omarosa accused you of using the n word. what is your response? >> he was on "the apprentice." have you ever made these remarks? >> i do not make racist remarks. you would have known about it. i've been hearing that there are tapes for years and years. never use racist remarks. quiet. when you talk about division, it's people like this that cause division. great division. point of fact is i never used a racist remark.
4:36 pm
that's the point of fact. who are you from? yahoo! news? hope they are doing well. >> thank you, mr. president. we're hape to have this opportunity. president erdogan says he is going to keep buying oil. >> who said that? >> president erdogan. you are going to meet him oon. some countries will take the same -->> let me just tell you. we imposed just recently the strongest sanctions in the history of our country. i guess north korea is there too. i gave some countries a break on the oil. i did it because they really asked for some help.
4:37 pm
i did it really because i do not want to drive oil prices up to $100 a barrel. i am driving them down. if you look at oil prices, they have come down very substantially over the last couple months. that's because of me. you have a monopoly called opec. i do not like that monopoly. il prices are coming down. rather than deciding to be as tough as i am on most of the sanctions, i said, we are not going to do it that way. we are going to let some of the oil go out to these countries who really do need it. i do not want to drive oil prices up. it is a fragile market. i know it very well. it is the right decision. they will get tougher as time this by. i do not want to have any effect on the oil prices worldwide. i consider that to be a tax.
4:38 pm
>> the peace process is ver. president trump: congratulations to john tester. i'm sure you are very unhappy about that. go ahead. >> mr. president, -- >> we will take a couple more and then we will go. >> can you address concerns in places like georgia where people waited in line for hours and voting machines were not working? here are concerns -- >> i said i love the state. >> as president of the united states, are you concerned about the access to voting? >> i heard it was very efficient in georgia. you would have to ask state governments. you're going to have to ask them. o ahead, please. >> thank you, mr. president.
4:39 pm
your expressed some concerns about social media companies unfairly censoring conservative during the election. do you anticipate working with democrats to regulate these companies? president trump: i would do that. i think it's a very serious problem. at the same time you start getting into speech. that is a dangerous problem. that could be the beginning. i am one that really likes free speech. a lot of people do not understand that. i am a big believer. when you start regulating, a lot of bad things can happen. i would talk to the democrats if they want to do that. i think they do want to do that. >> former president barack obama famously said he had a pen and phone to use on executive power. do you see yourself using executive power to get some of your immigration agenda done? >> i do. i think that some of that, i can
4:40 pm
use executive power. not all. he used it on daca. he said something to the effect like, i am not allowed to do this, but i'm doing it anyway. he did it and found judges who approved it. we also found judges that didn't approve it. it is going to be determined in the supreme court. if the court rules in favor of what president obama thinks they should rule, i will probably have a deal with the democrats in a short period of time. we were close to having a deal until we got that strange uling. >> you also make promises about immigration during the campaign. are you going to follow through with them? >> which one are you talking about? >> birthright citizenship. >> we are looking at it very seriously. i believe we have the right. that's another case that will be
4:41 pm
determined by the supreme court of the united states. >> are you going to send 15,000 troops to the border? >> you know exactly what i'm doing. what is your next question? >> on the khashoggi matter, it has been more than a month. do you think saudi arabia is guilty of having him murdered? if so -- >> i will have a stronger opinion on that subject in the next week. we are working with some very talented people. we are working with congress and turkey and saudi arabia. i am forming a strong opinion. o ahead, john. >> just a quick follow-up, you said something about nancy pelosi. you said that she loves our country. do you regret some of the thing that you said turing the campaign? you said that democrats want to put a wrecking ball to our future? >> with the current policy
4:42 pm
they're using, i believe that. this would be a wrecking ball. i think there is a compromise somewhere. i think that would be good for our country. >> do you regret the ad that you did that was branded as a racist d? >> i'm surprised you asked me that question. do not. >> thank you, sir. i think we all would like to have more of these if you are willing. in 2017, the homeland security department shuddered a program to counter homegrown right wing extremism, white supremacism, and related terrorist groups. domestic terrorist groups. they redirected that funding towards fighting islamic terrorism. do you believe that white supremacist terrorists, right wing terrorists, these homegrown
4:43 pm
terrorists on that side of the pectrum are a problem? >> i believe all hate is a problem. it is a problem we want to solve. >> what are you going to do bout it? >> i do believe it is a problem. can i tell you what? it's a problem that i don't like even a little bit. go ahead. >> you said, pretend i am on the ballot yesterday. you called it a referendum on your presidency. many local districts across the country rejected your midterm message, particularly suburban women. how do you bridge that divide now? also with the -->> look at the results. midterm elections are disasters for sitting presidents. this has been a very successful -- you can write it anyway you want. this has been an incredibly
4:44 pm
successful -- how about ohio? i mentioned florida. i mentioned georgia. how about the governor of hio? a fantastic man who was down in the polls. everyone was talking about this person. i went up there and did a rally. they are going to have a great governor in ohio for hopefully a long time. mike dewine is a fantastic person. i went up there because i felt that his opposition was not a good person. we know a lot about them. i felt that mike was a fantastic person. not only did he win, but he won easily. add that to florida and add that to georgia and add that to all of the other races that we won. outside of the senate races, which were the biggest of them all. these were races that mike pence
4:45 pm
could tell you, these were races that were going to be unopposed. we were not going to oppose certain senators. they said they cannot be beaten. they said heidi cannot be beaten. please do not do it. this was a year out. >> what about in that a suburban district -- in the suburban >> many of these people, these were tough races. i think the level of popularity, the first question i was asked, what have you learned? i think that is what i learned. i was very well received by this great country. the people of our great country. i love the people of this country. we are the greatest people. i will tell you something. when you look at the races that we won in florida and georgia,
4:46 pm
and ohio, which we were not expected to win, you look at some of them, the number of votes we got is incredible. i am really happy with not only the way it came out, but the response to me as your president. i have made our country safe. i have rebuilt and am in the process of rebuilding our military. the jobs are here. we are going to have the strongest military our country has ever had. i have done more for the veterans than any president has done. certainly in many, many decades with choice and with other things. as you know. with other things. our veterans are doing better than they have ever done. if you look at choice alone, the
4:47 pm
people of our country are very happy with the job i am doing. one of the things they want is security. they want security. both at the border, they want it with our military, they want it with our learment. they want it with i.c.e. we have taken out thousands of ms 13 members. thousands out of our country. women of our country who are incredible people, they want security. they want financial security. they want physical security. we have taken out thousands of people who should not be in this country. we have to get strong mmigration laws. we want laws where they do not come in. where we don't have to take them out per se. i am very honored to be with all of you. it was a great day yesterday. it was a great evening. we had a tremendous success. hopefully, the tone can get etter.
4:48 pm
hopefully the tone can get a lot better. i really believe it begins with the media. we used to call it the press. i really believe it begins with the media. >> does it begin with you, mr. president? president trump: it was a very interesting story written in a very good paper recently that talked about the fact that it is not good what the media is doing. that i do have the right to fight back because i am treated very unfairly. i am fighting back not for me. i'm fighting back for the people of this country. thank you all very much. thank you. [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2018] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. isit ncicap.org]
4:49 pm
>> president trump's midday news conference today. his post election news conference happening less than 12 hours after the last polls closed in the united states. good afternoon, the c-span election coverage continues with our phone call reaction and more. we'll update you as well on some of the outstanding races. ere's how to join us by phone. 202-748-8000 for democrats. republicans use 202-74 -8001. nd independents, 20 -748-8002. that news conference from president trump was barely over when the news came out from the white house that jeff sessions, the attorney general,

72 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on