Skip to main content

tv   Cuomo Prime Time  CNN  March 18, 2021 6:00pm-7:00pm PDT

6:00 pm
world's most energetic and talented people. they set up rules to encourage risk taking and prevent recklessness. we've got to focus on that. and the name calling between us and china or us and russia, it's not going to matter if we are not strong. no one will take us seriously. >> tom friedman, as always, thanks very much, appreciate it. the news continues with chris cuomo and "prime time." everybody in the media is rightly telling you the good news tonight. president biden announced that by tomorrow we will have met his goal of vaccinating 100 million americans. 42 days ahead of schedule. it's great news. why? because he has an administration that is taking it seriously, dealing with it on all fronts and is not distracted by pe
6:01 pm
peddling denial. but you do get that is not the whole story, right? you understand the vaccine is not a cure-all. it won't get us out of the pandemic, not anytime soon. there are so many out there, i hear you on the radio, i see you on social media, i get your responses to the show. biden's doing a good job, take the win, why do you keep saying the situation is so dire? because it is. vaccine, biden, not enough. he's not trump. he's not going to tell you he's one move away and only he can fix. too many americans insist on falling short. so yeah, the vaccine's a step forward. but we're taking a step and after back. here's the proof. after weeks of steep declines, infections are rising again by more than 10% in 14 states this week compared to last. more states are reopening. is that good or bad? look, i believe it's how you do it and how you handle it on an
6:02 pm
individual basis. the opportunity is going to be there. what do you do with it? there will be more risk if you don't fly, dine, or work the right way. i'm not telling you not to do any of those things. i'm not your daddy. but you have to do them the right way. and you know what the right way is. the more masks, the fewer people in a place, the more distance, the more reasonable, the less cases, period. always true, everywhere. but here's why we can't get to a better place as fast as we want to. we're not in it together. there is political advantage in keeping us sick, especially now. politicians are harnessing your frustration and fatigue, which are totally real and justified, to create feelings of opposition to the obvious. forget masks. forget it. we've done it long enough, i don't even know if the science is right, i think we're good. people like this guy.
6:03 pm
senator rand paul. he's a doctor, he's an eye doctor, he wouldn't know anything about epidemiology, he's not a disease doctor. but he was in denial about covid even after he got it. he won't even wear masks to protect other people. and now, he decided to take on dr. fauci with his feelings about the facts. >> you're telling everybody to wear a mask whether they've had an infection or a vaccine. what i'm saying is they have immunity and everybody agrees they have immunity. what studies do you have that people that have had the vaccine or have had the infection are spreading the infection if we're not spreading the infection, isn't it just theater? >> no, it's not. >> you had the vaccine and you wear two masks, isn't that theater? >> here we go again with the theater. let's go down to the facts. okay. the studies that you quote from croddy and setay look at in vitro examination of memory immunity which in their paper they specifically say this does
6:04 pm
not necessarily pertain to the actual protection. it's in vitro. when you talk about reinfection, and you don't keep in the concept of variants, that's an entirely different ball game. that's a good reason for a mask. >> what proof is there that there is significant reinfections with hospitalizations and death from the variants? none in our country, zero. >> well, because we don't have a prevalent of a variant yet. we're having one -- can i finish? >> you're making policy based on conjecture. >> it isn't based on conjecture. >> you want people to wear a mask for another couple of years. you've been vaccinated and you parade around in two masks for show. >> no. >> you can't get it again, there's virtually zero percent chance you're going to get it yet you're telling people who have had the vaccine, who have immunity, your defying everything we know about immunity by telling people to wear masks who have been
6:05 pm
vaccinated. >> let me state for the record masks are not theater. masks are protective. >> if you already have immunity, you're wearing a mask to give comfort to others, you're not wearing a mask because of any science. >> i totally disagree with you. >> joining us now, the better mind involved in that mask-off, the president's chief medical adviser himself, dr. tony fauci. doc, good to see you. >> good to be with you, chris. >> now, i know that rand paul as a doctor. but he's an eye doctor. at the same time, do you think he believes what he was saying to you today, that with vaccines, there is zero percent chance that you need to wear a mask, zero percent chance that you get sick, that if you've had it already, there's zero percent chance that you need a mask? do you think he believes it? >> you know, chris, i don't know what he believes, to be honest with you. i've been dealing -- this is not the first time we've clashed at
6:06 pm
a senate hearing. you know, there is always -- as is always the case, a kernel of truth in what he says about that there is protection to some extent after you get infected, there's no doubt about that. he completely does not take into account the variants. he quotes literature which is selective in how he quotes it. there is a paper that came out literally yesterday in "lancet" that showed that yes, there was considerable protection against reinfection in general. but in people who are elderly, 65 years of age or older, they were very vulnerable to reinfection. and that's the reason why. so i'm afraid, if people hear what he says, and believe it, and you have an elderly person who has been infected, and they decide, well, rand paul says let's not wear a mask, they could get reinfected again and get into trouble. so that's the thing that bothers me about that type of an interchange. >> you and i have talked about
6:07 pm
this a lot. you're in the medicine business, you're in the science business, but you're also in the messaging business. and he is making a play, and the play is, you guys have been too severe for too long, you're holding us back, and it's not on the basis of just science, it's playing it safe with the science. you're being too conservative. is there any truth to that? >> you know, like i said, there's always a bit of a kernel of truth in what people like senator paul says. the kernel of truth is that people are tired of the constraints that you have, the type of things that we as scientists recommend. we're not saying doing this indefinitely. we're not saying this is the way it's going to have to be all the time. we're saying that if you look at the data and look at the science, there is a chance that you could get in trouble if you pull back too prematurely.
6:08 pm
we're not saying it's too difficult to maintain public health measures when you're doing it for so long. on that we agree. but the fact is you know when you look, chris, historically, at pulling back on mitigation, we look at the different surges that we had, it was always at a time when the cases came down, then they plateaued, and then they started going up again. >> right. >> we're generally about three or four weeks behind europe in the dynamics of the outbreak. it's been that way from the very beginning. and what we're seeing in europe right now, the same thing. they reached a peak, they started to come down, they plateaued, they pulled back on all of their public health measures in many countries and now they have a resurgence. we want to avoid that. we've seen it before, we've been to that movie before. >> here's the counterargument. not all surges are the same and we're not europe. the cdc says there is a growing
6:09 pm
body of evidence that fully vaccinated people are less likely to transmit. people are reading that as, vaccine means -- >> that's true. >> -- you're basically safe. europe doesn't have the ppe and mask culture we have now even though it's highly imperfect. when you combine the advantages that we have and they don't and that we have more vaccinated people and more people wearing masks, although not enough, that this surge won't be as bad as past surges and we won't be europe. >> chris, you make a good point. it's absolutely conceivable that that will be the case. that's the reason why we go by the data as we know it. when we did the first vaccine trial, the primary endpoint was not whether you got infected or not. the primary endpoint was whether you had clinically recognizable disease. now, in the data that was collected, the more data we get,
6:10 pm
the more we see that if you're vaccinated, the chances are that you won't get an asymptomatic infection or if you do, the level of virus in your in case owe pha nasopharynx won't be en to infect someone else. if we're accumulating data, once we're there, then the recommendations will change. >> we keep talking about europe. why don't we talk about michigan? cases are up 82% in the last two weeks. 13 days ago, they eased restrictions, even with the case jump. restaurants, bars, theaters, gyms, and more. and adjusted for population, they have the most confirmed cases of the uk variant, i'm not blaming
6:11 pm
the uk for it, okay, this is a very different plan than trump made by calling something the china virus. so they're in the middle of of the pack in terms of vaccine efficacy. why are they behaving that way? what is your message about michigan? are we all going to be michigan and is michigan acting the right way? >> no. no. in fairness to them, you have to say it's understandable that they have that feeling, they just are tired of being kept down, of not being able to do the things that are normal in life. it's an understandable feeling. and we counter by saying, we understand that, we really do. but just hang on a little longer until you get the overwhelming prop proportion of the population vacc vaccinated.
6:12 pm
>> are you telling governor whitmer, you have to slow down on the reopenings? because they're obviously going in a different direction. >> she's a really good governor, i think she's done some really good things. but i am telling them, just hold off for a bit. when you get the overwhelming majority of your population vaccinated, the chances of there being a surge are minuscule. so just hang in there. don't turn the switch on and off. pull back gradually, not all at once, everything, all things are off and everything goes, that's not a good idea. >> there are good signs that things are starting to go away. families are starting to get reunited again. people are doing it the right way. mask culture is spreading. it allows me a little bit of leeway to ask something a little lighter. did you know that on social media, people are referring to the vaccine as the fauci ouchy? did you know that?
6:13 pm
did you have anything to do with that? >> yeah, someone brought -- >> was that your idea? >> no, i did not, chris, i can tell, it was not my idea. >> can you prove it was not your idea? >> under oath. >> are you okay with it being called the fauci ouchy? >> well, if it makes people more tendency to get vaccinated, you can call it fauci ouchy all you want, just go get vaccinated. >> i have never had that picture of you, i've never had coming to mind when i think of you, pain. but as long as it's protection, i guess it's okay. whatever gets people to take a step in the right direction. i want to put a smile on your face because otherwise we're crying all the time under these circumstances. dr. fauci, thank you for keeping it straight, thank you for fighting the good fight, the messaging matters. be well, doc. >> thanks a lot, chris, appreciate it. thanks for having me.
6:14 pm
so from a disease not of our own making to a disease of our own making. hate. you want to know why asian-americans are under threat? a u.s. congressman made it ugly and obvious today. i've never heard anything like it since the '60s. i want you to hear it and then we have to figure out how to fight it, next.
6:15 pm
6:16 pm
hi, i'm a new customer and i want your best new smartphone deal. well i'm an existing customer and i'd like your best new smartphone deal. oh do ya? actually it's for both new and existing customers. i feel silly. but i do want the fastest 5g network. oh i want the fastest 5g network. are we actually doing this again? it's not complicated. only at&t gives everyone the same great deal. like the samsung galaxy s21 5g for free when you trade in.
6:17 pm
priceline works with top hotels, to save you up to 60%. these are all great. and when you get a big deal... you feel like a big deal. ♪ priceline. every trip is a big deal. do you have a life insurance policy you no longer need? now you can sell your policy, even a term policy, for an immediate cash payment. we thought we had planned carefully for our retirement. but we quickly realized that we needed a way to supplement our income. if you have one hundred thousand dollars or more of life insurance you may qualify to sell your policy. don't cancel or let your policy lapse without finding out what it's worth. visit conventrydirect.com to find out if you policy qualifies. or call the number on your screen. coventry direct, redefining insurance.
6:18 pm
grisly new details tonight in the atlanta spa shootings that left eight people dead. at least six of them asian women. atlanta police say that of the three victims killed at the gold massage spa, two of them were shot in the face. one was shot in the head. why do those details matter? they show passion. they show purpose. they show potentially range as
6:19 pm
in up close. the other victims may have been as old as 75. now, police say they're still working to determine the shooter's motivations. but let's be very clear. what he says about what was going on in his head, in his heart, why he did it, that is not dispositive about his motivation. he certainly doesn't have a very high credibility index, right? this evening people rallied together for a vigil and a call for action to stop asian hate. the reason they did that is it's hard to divorce this crime on several levels from race, specifically anti-asian animus. and i know that the shooter has given an early indication that it wasn't about that, that is uncompelling. the message is a stunning contrast from what we heard from one republican lawmaker today, at all places, a hearing on
6:20 pm
anti-asian hate. i need you to listen to gop congressman chip roy and the democratic congresswoman, grace meng, who fired back. >> there's old sayings in texas about find all the rope in texas and get a tall oak tree. i'm not going to be ashamed of saying i oppose the chi-coms, i oppose the chinese communist party. when we're saying things like that, we shouldn't be worried about having a committee of members of congress policing our rhetoric. >> your president and your party and your colleagues can talk about issues with any other country that you want. but you don't have to do it by putting a bullseye on the back of asian-americans across this country, on your graour grandpan our kids. this hearing was to address the hurt and pain of our community, to find solutions.
6:21 pm
we will not let you take our voice away from us. >> georgia state representative bea nguyen joins us now. good to see you, bea. >> thanks for having me on. >> you wanted to serve, you wanted to be involved on the issues that matter. who could have imagined they would have affected you and who you come from and what you're about as much as they are right now? help people understand why grace meng was so hurt to hear chip roy making this about him and how he feels he's being hemmed in by this discussion of racial animus specifically towards asians. >> well, you know, i think it's important to talk about the context and the history of asian-americans in this country. and for those of us who learned our history and who experienced it through our ancestors, know that from the inception of this country, that there has been
6:22 pm
violence and brutality against asian-americans starting with chinese rail workers and then we see an exclusion act that was extended to an entire continent of people, the incarceration of japanese americans, the rise in hate crimes against muslim-americans following 9/11. all of those things are part of our history in this country. and in the last year, we have seen a rise of anti-aapi sentiment, a rise in anti-asian hate crimes, by 180%. it's critically important to note that 68% of those victims in the crimes that are reported are asian women. >> so the statistics are that women are much more likely within the asian-american community to report them, they're more likely to be targeted. there's certainly a legacy of that. but also, in terms of an issue brought home, you have a number of siblings. is this something that is real for you in your own life?
6:23 pm
>> you know, as a public elected official, whenever somebody disagrees with my opinion or my policies, the first thing that they do is criticize the country from which my parents come from and the second thing is my gender. so i have experienced a lot of targeted misogyny, targeted sg xenophobia, messages of going back to your own country, even though i was born here, raised here, i've lived in georgia my entire life. it is very real. i am the first vietnamese american to be elected in the state of georgia in our 200-year history and i was the only asian-american women serving out of 236 lawmakers up until this year. so, you know, it is prevalent in my life. and, you know, related to the election hearings last year when
6:24 pm
i dared to question one of the alleged expert witnesses, i did receive death threats and they were targeting me for my race and for my gender. but also for daring to speak up, for daring to have a voice. and then outside of that, all of my family, all of my friends, the conversations that we're having are, do you feel safe, what is it going to look like for our little nephews, are our parents okay, are our friends okay. and so it is a very real and very visceral thing. >> so you get a chance to be with the president and the vp tomorrow. obviously this will be something that is on top of mind. but also you are a representative in state that is really the tip of the spear in terms of these country-wide voter suppression efforts. what do they want to do in georgia, why do you think it's wrong, and how urgent?
6:25 pm
>> you know, i want to say i'm very grateful for leadership in the white house, and the fact that the president and the vice president will be meeting with me and other asian leaders in our state. it is different, it is much different from the last four ye years, the previous administration, where the former president assigned blame for the pandemic to one country which led to the increase of aapi violence and hatred in our country. and i think that there are so many urgent things in the state of georgia including the horrific crime that just happened here in atlanta. i do have to say as an asian woman, i feel comforted by the fact that president kamala harris will be in the room given that she is half-asian, because there are cultural things that she will understand that people who are not children of immigrants, who are not asian, they simply cannot connect to
6:26 pm
some of those nuances that complicate the shooting in atlanta. along with the voter suppression that's happening, that will impact the asian community as well. we know that asian-americans turned up in massive proportions for the presidential election as well as the u.s. senate seats. and so all of those things are going to be at the top of the mind as we meet with the president and the vice president tomorrow. >> georgia has become a crucible from the election, now with these animus-driven murders, i don't care what the suspect says, i don't know how you divorce them from the choice of victims that he made, especially with the newest details about how personal the murders were. and the election reforms, what is being fought in your state will be reverberated across the country. so you're right in the mix, state representative bee nguyen. i'm sorry about how this hits your heart and your family. but you can put a purpose to that pain and i hope you do. i look forward to hearing how it goes. >> thank you so much. >> be well. all of the animus is
6:27 pm
related. and you are either for it or you are against it. the fbi just released new videos of some of the worst assaults on police officers from january 6. ordinarily, if there was video of cops being attacked, the opposition party, the old gop, they would have been all over it. you have not heard any member of that party talk about blue lives that day. you've never heard it in the context of january 6. you've never heard law and order come from their lips about the demands of the infamy of that day. why not? next.
6:28 pm
♪ you've got the looks ♪ ♪ let's make lots of money ♪ ♪ you've got the brawn ♪ ♪ i've got the brains... ♪ with allstate, drivers who switched saved over $700 click or call to switch i think the sketchy website i bought this turtle from stole all of my info. ooh, have you looked on the bright side? discover never holds you responsible for unauthorized purchases on your card. (giggling) that's my turtle. fraud protection. discover. something brighter. tonight...i'll be eating loaded tots for march madness. ( doorbell ) thanks boo. ( piano glissando ) i think you better double them tots. no, this me was last year. i didn't get my madness last year, so we're doing double the madness this year. ♪ ♪ be right back.
6:29 pm
with moderate to severe crohn's disease, i was there, just not always where i needed to be. is she alright? i hope so. so i talked to my doctor about humira. i learned humira is for people who still have symptoms of crohn's disease after trying other medications. the majority of people on humira saw significant symptom relief in as little as 4 weeks. and many achieved remission that can last. humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections, including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores . don't start humira if you have an infection. be there for you and them. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible. new pronamel mineral boost helps protect teeth against everyday acids.mira.
6:30 pm
pronamel boosts enamel's natural absorption of calcium and phosphate - helping keep teeth strong, white and protected from sensitivity. new pronamel mineral boost
6:31 pm
an entire political party now stands in opposition to the truth. we have to get after it. you have to see it for what it is. it's as obvious as the latest wave of videos released by the fbi showing exactly what capitol
6:32 pm
police faced on january 6. that's what's on your screen. keep in mind, when you see people unleashing clouds of chemicals, eh, what is it? officer sicknick is dead as a result of bear spray, in all likelihood. when you see officers being beaten with poles, remember, 140 were injured in the attack. some maimed. some lost body parts. some will carry the scars of that day for the rest of their lives. it doesn't take a gun to hurt someone. see what the opposition party doesn't want you to see. the dominant color, red, because they're trump hats, trump flags. remember the senator who told you the attackers were really from a leftist group. remember all the cops being
6:33 pm
beaten when this same senator says this. >> i knew those were people that love this country, that, uh, truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break a law. so i wasn't concerned. >> he is perpetrating a fraud. he and others in his party are trying to convince that the terror attack, and that's what it was, they're all supposed to be all about terror, right? not this one. the terror attack of january 6 wasn't really that bad. people weren't around. look up the definition of "insurrection." show me where it says "armed." it says "violent." what happened to the gop party? what is happening to the republican party? the party of character counts is replaced by this guy? and no member of the party
6:34 pm
really got up and told him to shut up. that they're better than this. that he is not what you're about. instead, the top member of this new opposition party in the house is trying to rewrite the history of the big lie the same way johnson and others are trying to rewrite the insurrection it led to. listen. >> donald trump tried to overturn the results in congress and you supported that effort. >> well, now you're saying something that's not true. >> did you or did you not support donald trump's effort to overturn the election in congress? >> no. >> what do you mean, no? yes. yes, you did. you were on the phone with him panicking, saying call off your dogs, he mocked you, and then you still voted to decertify. and you still played the election rig game. come on the show, please, representative mccarthy, come on the show, i'll give you half an hour, let's talk it out. i don't want to yell at you, don't yell at me.
6:35 pm
let's go through it, make the case. because the way you say it here in light of the facts would make orwell blush. they are loiterally saying that they didn't say what they said, and to believe them over your lying eyes. how can any real republican go for this? not when the u.s. intelligence agencies are telling us narratives of fraud in the recent general election, the big lie, had the emboldening impact of the violent breach of the u.s. capitol, the infamy of january 6, and that it will almost certainly spur domestic violence extremists to try and engage in more attacks this year. when you learn that, where are you, real republicans? you need to de-trumpify your ranks. that takes us to another big
6:36 pm
problem that the right is pretending to care about. election security. now, election security means restrictive the rights of minorities to vote, yes. but if it means dealing with putin, who was caught interfering again, once again, to help trump, shh. but the new guy in office won't placate putin. trump said he believed putin over american intelligence. biden looked at the same intelligence and said putin is a liar and now a killer. did putin just show his next move? we have a former nato allied supreme commander on this, next.
6:37 pm
6:38 pm
with unitedhealthcare medicare advantage plans, there's so much to take advantage of. like $0 copays on virtual visits... ♪ wow ♪ uh-huh $0 copays on primary care visits and lab tests. ♪ wow ♪ uh-huh plus, $0 copays on hundreds of prescription drugs. ♪ wow ♪ uh-huh unitedhealthcare medicare advantage plans. including the only plans with the aarp name. most plans have a $0 premium. it's time to take advantage. ♪ wow
6:39 pm
covid has made clear that having health insurance is more important than ever. at covered california, every plan is comprehensive,
6:40 pm
covering everything from preventive care to mental health. and it's the only place that offers financial help for health insurance. enrollment is open due to covid-19. if you or someone you know isn't covered, now is the time to sign up. covered california. this way to health insurance. enroll now at coveredca.com. team biden is saying no more trumpery when it comes to dealing with bad guys. today secretary of state antony blinken laid out deep concerns about some of china's actions around the world and warned of the need to respect global order or face a more violent world.
6:41 pm
>> we'll also discuss our deep concerns with actions by china, including in hong kong, taiwan, cyber attacks on the united states, economic coercion toward our allies. the alternative to a rules-based order is a world in which might makes right and winners take all. and that would be a far more violent and unstable world for all of us. >> those words were not well-met. a heated confrontation ensued. the top foreign policy aide to chinese leader xi jinping said, the u.s. does not have the qualification to say that it wants to speak to china from a position of strength. all this playing out amid putin's response to biden calling him a killer. let's discuss with the author of "2034: a novel of the next world war," retired admiral, former nato supreme allied commander,
6:42 pm
james stavridis. it's good to see you, sir. >> great seeing you, chris. >> good luck with the book. hopefully it stays a novel and we don't have to deal with it in real time. biden calling putin a killer is likely a reference to his reputation as a former kgb operative. but what does that do for the state of play? >> i think it's honest. it's direct. it clears up any lingering sense on the part of putin that he's got anything but a free ride with the biden administration. look, i would call it, a, honest, and b, refreshing, when the president of the united states did not act sycophantically towards vladimir putin. chris, you and i both new john mccain after president bush looked in the eyes of putin and said, you know, i can work with putin, i see his soul.
6:43 pm
john mccain said, i looked into vladimir putin's eyes and i saw three letters, kgb. i think mccain got that one right and i think joe biden has it right. >> what did you think of the trump unorthodox approach of become so sycophantic, to use your word, to stand on the world stage and say i believe him over united states intel? was that just self-serving, to protect trump from any scrutiny of having been assisted? what was the effort of that play and why is biden's play better in your opinion? >> well, first of all, in international relations, i was dean of the fletcher school of law and diplomacy for five years. rule number one, be honest and direct. it clears you want chance of any miscalculation. in terms of why president trump was so benign in the face of constant putin aggression in
6:44 pm
sy syria, in ukraine, above all, chris, in our elections, you know, there's more good reporting to follow on that, i hope. however, what we have now is a biden administration in my view that's taken a very clear-eyed look at vladimir putin and assesses correctly, he is no friend to the united states, we have got to confront him. >> you know, putin is mostly noise. china is a threat. we don't really have -- russia doesn't really have anything we want. china is a true opponent on a number of different levels. that was a very muscular response from them today, saying you don't have any high ground, you can't come at us from a position of strength. is that them saying, we hold all your debt? what do you see them communicating in that? >> i think they recognize that we are waking up to the fact that china as a looming tower.
6:45 pm
they are a serious competitor to the united states. they're advancing in technology. chris, they claim the entire south china sea as territorial waters. this is a body of water the size of the gulf of mexico and the caribbean sea combined. it's a preposterous claim. but if we were to acquiesce in that, if we were to acquiesce in their gross human rights violations in their own nation, in hong kong, the pressure they put on taiwan, on neighbors around the region, we cannot afford to do that because long term, down that path doth madness and war lie. we need to confront them where we must, find zones of cooperation where we can. and i think secretary of state tony blinken stood up well in the face of a lot of bluster from china. and i for one agree with tony blinken. i wouldn't bet against the united states long term.
6:46 pm
>> but antony blinken was still general. we know what they're doing with the uighurs. some people call it a genocide. america has not been loud or proud about what's going on in there in any real way. the media has very little access, if any. should america start calling that out? should we start demanding transparency? should we try to get in there? >> what we should do, chris, is take it out of the channel where it is, u.s. versus china, because we have this enormous, enormous network of allies, partners, and friends, all of nato where i was supreme allied commander, japan, australia, increasingly india, the so-called quad. vietnam, south korea. we have a huge network of allies, partners, and friends. we ought to encourage all of them to collectively call out china. and i think over time, they will do that, because china cannot be
6:47 pm
allowed to be the bully in asia. >> it's got to be a team effort, right, admiral, because you know the american appetite for any military intervention abroad is very, very spare. admiral james stavridis, i know you're very busy, i know you've got the new book out, again, for people to understand that you know what you're talking about, and you're always welcome on this show, remind us of the name of the new book. >> "2034: a novel of the next world war." it's a cautionary tale. let's avoid the war but let's do it from a position of strength dealing with china. >> i hope i'm alive just to see that it doesn't come true. take care, admiral, and thank you again. >> thanks, chris. >> i called him "the admirable," that was a slip, but it works. the pandemic has kept so many of us apart, the vaccine slowly bringing us back together. from one grandson and one grandmother, this is a really special way. i dare you not to smile.
6:48 pm
this is the latest installment of "i wish i were them," next. y! scuff defense. i love our scuff-free life. behr ultra scuff defense. exclusively at the home depot. tonight...i'll be eating loaded tots for march madness. ( doorbell ) thanks boo. ( piano glissando ) i think you better double them tots. no, this me was last year. i didn't get my madness last year, so we're doing double the madness this year.
6:49 pm
it's an important time to save. with priceline, you can get up to 60% off amazing hotels. and when you get a big deal... you feel like a big deal. ♪ priceline. every trip is a big deal.
6:50 pm
♪ limu emu & doug ♪ liberty mutual customizes your car insurance ♪ so you only pay for what you need. thank you! hey, hey, no, no limu, no limu! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ when you buy this plant at walmart, they can buy more plants from metrolina greenhouses so abe and art can grow more plants. so they can hire vilma... and wendy... and me. so, more people can go to work. so, more days can start with kisses. when you buy this plant at walmart. ♪
6:51 pm
. time for another installment of i want to be them. this family in maryland, i want
6:52 pm
you to meet shirley donaldson, a 90-year-old grandmother in maryland got to get vaccinated and see one of her loved ones at the time. the young man vaccinating her, her grandson mike, there he is, he gave his grandmother the vaccine, she's looking away. how can you hurt your grandmother like that? the result after it, a giant safe bear hug. look at that. don't you want to be them? that's why we need to get people vaccinated. mike reckon and shirley donaldson are here with me now. there's you on tv. what a beautiful moment. it's nice to see you both. >> how are you, chris? >> hi, chris, i watch you every night. >> thank you very much, you're probably only watching because you couldn't get out of the house. now you're vaccinated you can get back to enjoying yourself. what did it mean to you, mike, to vaccinate your grandma and hug her and remind yourself of
6:53 pm
why she's so important. >> it was great. we're a very close family and we're used to spending every holiday together, eating crabs all summer, and finally we can hopefully resume that. and then today we just found out that my parents' age group is eligible in maryland now. everybody will be vaccinated here soon, hopefully. >> shirley, why is your grandson so special? >> he's -- i'm 90 years old. >> i don't believe you. >> and he was our first grandchild. and he's just special. he and his brother are special. >> what makes him a good boy? >> he said what makes me a good boy? >> what did you say? >> what makes him such a good grandson? >> because he came from a good mother and father. >> that's exactly what i thought
6:54 pm
i was going to hear. well, listen, brother, i hope that -- i hope that you really get to appreciate each other and make those memories and spend that time. this has been such a hard time for so many. i'm happy and jealous for your family. i still haven't seen my mom. i got a sneak peek of her for my birthday. she's vaccinated. if you're lucky enough, mike, to have a grandmother as beautiful and sweet as your own, what a chance to get reconnected. thank you for bringing us this story. >> i love him. >> you should, look at him. >> and he's got a brother that's just as good. >> i believe it. i know, they're all equal, they're all equal, but this one vaccinated you so he's got a little bit of an advantage. he's good looking and he did the right thing, and shirley, thank you very much, young lady, i appreciate your watching the show. i need you. so thank you. >> thanks for calling me young lady. it makes me feel good. >> i call them as i see them. god bless and be well. >> thank you. >> don't you want to be like
6:55 pm
them? >> thank you, chris. >> take care. don't you want to be like them? get people vaccinated. i know it can be a pain. but what a pleasure comes with it. we'll be right back. i mean i know it's silly, but i have an image. ya know, 6 foot 5, 300 pounds. so the thought of getting a hearing aid, i was.. i was scared. for the last couple years i've been having real hearing loss. all i knew from the past was seeing folks with big things on their ears, so i didn't want to be that guy. one of the joys of my life is riding my motorcycle with my wife.
6:56 pm
if you're not confident riding a motorcycle, you could get in trouble. i would always have to turn, so i could hear better, that was a... that was bad. and i just kept fightin' it. with lively, did a hearing test on the computer. when they sent them in the mail they were already set up for me. the whole process was so simple. right away lively started working. my confidence is 100% boosted, it's night and day. this little thing right here, has made me whole again. a test in minutes, hearing aids in days, better hearing in no time. get started today at listenlively.com this thing works, ya know. i can hear again.
6:57 pm
renae is not an influencer. she's more of a groundbreaker. just look at the way she's reshaping, and reimagining, her 4 acre slice of heaven. it's not hard to tell she's the real deal. renae runs with us on a john deere 1 series tractor, because out here, you can't fake a job well done. nothing runs like a deere. get a 1 series tractor starting at $99 per month. see every delivery... every yikes... and even every awwwwwwww...
6:58 pm
wait, where was i? introducing self protection from xfinity. designed to put you in control. with real-time notifications and a week of uninterrupted recording. all powered by reliable, secure wifi from xfinity. gotta respect his determination. it's easy and affordable to get started. get self protection for $10 a month.
6:59 pm
sure is a lot going on and there is reason for hope but, you know, hope sometimes is defined as, as yet undiscovered disappointment. now, what is that? just cynicism? no. it means that like the definition of luck, preparation meets opportunity, you set yourself up for whether or not what you're hoping for comes true. you can't hope for a great summer and all these july 4th barbecues, i'm hoping for memorial day, to be able to experience each other and make some of the memories that make life worth living when it can be so hard. but it's only if you set yourself up for it and i don't understand why there's this mystery when it comes to the pandemic. i don't understand why you don't see what's going on that the science is clear, it's never been about the science. you learn things over time but it's been a long time that we
7:00 pm
knew that masks were the right move. the only reason for somebody to tell you, well they told us not to wear them, now they say we are them. the only reason to go back a year is you don't like where you are right now. because you see some advantage of it. i tell you senator rand paul, come on, make the case. to the non-converted. the way you preach to the converted. because they are selling people bad situations and non-science and it's keeping us sick. thank you for watching. "cnn tonight" is the big show and the big star is d. lemon. >> bitter, party of one as i was watching that video with dr. fauci and rand paul, as you were saying. why even go through -- why? there's no reason. there's only one reason. for political gain, or you're angry or you're bitter. you're a hater. you're a hater. that's what it is. >> i mean, it can't be on the -- i totally get this argument. here's the argument i would make with fauci.

131 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on