Skip to main content

tv   At This Hour With Kate Bolduan  CNN  February 13, 2017 8:00am-9:01am PST

8:00 am
she delivered. >> stephanie elam for us in los angeles. we did just show justin trudeau arriving at the white house, i think we should play some rush music in honor of the canadian prime minister arriving. i'm john berman. >> i'm poppy harlow. kate bolduan is next. hello, everyone, i'm kate bolduan. breaking news from the white house right now. president trump meeting with canadian prime minister justin trudeau. trudeau arriving just moments ago for his first meeting with the new president. canada is of course one of america's closest allies. but how close a friend will these two leaders really be? one glaring issue between these two men, immigration.
8:01 am
sara murray at the white house, what are we learning about this visit? >> reporter: good morning, kate. prime minister trudeau just arrived and was greeted by president trump. they'll be spending quite a bit of time together in meetings, they'll have a working lunch, and they'll have a joint press conference later. trudeau is really seen as a liberal icon in canada. so this is a very different relationship he's likely to have with president trump as he did with president trump obaobama. as you say, they have sharply different views on syrian refugees. they want to start off on common ground. they're expected to unveil a joint initiative today to promote the advancement of female entrepreneurs. justin trudeau has presented himself as a staunch feminist. we'll see if that unified front holds into the press conference this afternoon. >> absolutely. and as you say, we may see them
8:02 am
in a meeting in the oval office later this hour, also very much waiting for that joint press conference later this afternoon. sara is there for us. thank you so much, sara. this visit comes amid rumors and reports of a possible staff shake-up in the works. at the center, the president's national security adviser, michael flynn. a senior white house official telling cnn that in this person's words, "the knives are out" for flynn after reports that he discussed sanctions with russia's ambassador before president trump even took office, and then after, misled or maybe even lied to white house officials including the vice president about those conversations. "the washington post" first broke the story. phil rucker, white house bureau chief for "the washington post," joins us now. phil, we haven't heard anything from the president on this issue, that's almost what surprises me most. >> it's pretty striking. it's now been four days since the story broke and president trump has said nothing, signaled nothing to indicate his support
8:03 am
for his national security adviser, which is one of the reasons why flynn is in such a precarious position right now. it's not just the president. nobody from the white house has come forward publicly to defend him and to ensure the american people that he has the president's confidence, which is leading a lot of people inside the white house to turn on flynn. and there's a feeling from people i talked to over the weekend at the white house that flynn's days may be numbered. >> from what you're hearing over at the white house, is it conceivable, phil, that he could lie to the vice president and keep his job, if that all turns out to be true? >> i think the thing going for him most of all is that donald trump may not want to give into what has now become sort of a media controversy and basically give the media a scalp. he may want to dig in his heels and defend his guy. but that hasn't happened yet. and certainly vice president pence is quite upset that flynn misled him or may have lied to him. but it's not just pence. reince priebus, the white house
8:04 am
chief of staff, white house press secretary sean spicer, both went out publicly to defend flynn back in january, and insist to the american people that flynn did not have those conversations with the russian ambassador. >> when it comes to flynn, i mean, really kind of amid all of the rumors of staff shake-ups that's going on right now, it's almost like there's a question mark hanging over his head, which is even more damaging. does the president have to come out and say something one way or the other, a vote of confidence or we're parting ways? >> he doesn't have to. he'll say whatever he wants to say whenever he wants to say it. but the problem for flynn is it's created this period of paralysis where we're now going on four days where flynn doesn't have that public vote of confidence, where if people who work with flynn see him as somehow weakened or undermined, and it's created a lot of controversy and drama around the national security council that inhibits their ability to do work at a real important time.
8:05 am
we have the north korean missile tests over the weekend, for example. there are serious issues that the nsc and the administration have to be dealing with. >> exactly, north korea, put that point front and center over the weekend. grade to see you, phil, thank you. >> thank you, kate. let's talk more about this that phil has been reporting and we've gotten reports on. with me is the deputy assistant to president obama and the national security adviser to vice president biden. collin, you were vice president biden's national security adviser. if he had gone out and defended you and found out later that the story was something quite different than what you had told him, what would have happened to you? >> i think i probably would have been fired. >> that's the big question, what time period, what amount of investigation needs to be done here? from your perspective, can michael flynn function in his role successfully after this? >> i think there are really two issues. one is whether he indeed did mislead not only the public but
8:06 am
also the vice president, potentially investigators and others. i think that's really important. but the other question, which i think shouldn't be lost in all of this, is why did he mislead, if he did? because after all, the sanctions were put on the russians because the intelligence community overwhelmingly concluded that they russians tried to influence our election to tilt it towards donald trump. the question is why was donald trump's national security adviser in waiting having conversations with the russian ambassador to potentially lift those sanctions against russian behavior, implying it's no big deal? >> if these conversations are further confirmed, if this comes out, and michael flynn stays in his job, what does that do? >> i think a lot of it depends on his relationship with the president. at the end of the day, the national security adviser has authority to the degree to which they are perceived throughout the government as having the reflective authority of the president, that they are the
8:07 am
last person in the room or one of the last people in the room. i think if this scandal kind of creates a friction or a gap between flynn and trump and you also have the fact that steve bannon, for example, or jared kushner apparently are much closer to the president and have his ear much more often than flynn, then it makes makes flynn look weak. the challenge is it's difficult to run a process that provides the president with the best advice and kind of coral the rest of the government if you look weak. >> and there are reports, you go from flynn to the national security council at large, that there is disarray there as well. "the new york times" had an amazing passage, "three weeks into the trump administration council staff members get up in the morning, read president trump's twitter posts and struggle to make policy to fit them. most are kept in the dark about what mr. trump tells foreign leaders in his phone calls. some staff members have turned to encrypted communication to talk with their colleagues after hearing that mr. trump's top
8:08 am
advisers are considering an insider threat program that could result in monitoring cellphones and e-mails for leaks." when you see that, do you think this is a growing pain of a new administration or is this something more? >> it's something more. i think what people have to understand is that the national security council staff is nonpolitical. the vast majority of that staff is kind of the all star team from around the government, the best intelligence officers, the best people from the pentagon, the best people from the state department, who go there and work 14 to 16 hours a day, 6 1/2 days a week, to keep us safe. when the obama administration transitioned, they kept the vast majority of that staff and it was relatively smooth. the fact that there is such friction and such a gap between the politicals over in the west wing and the hundreds of men and women who help keep our country safe, that's a big problem. >> i want to talk to you about another issue, speaking of disarray, and something you think is misleading, the white
8:09 am
house, their defense, their explanation for the yemen raid and the leadup to it, white house press secretary sean spicer said this about the planning timeline. listen to this. >> on january 6th there is an interagency deputies meeting. the deputies recommended at that time they go ahead. it was so easily approved, it was sent straight up. the conclusion at that time was to hold for what they call a moonless night, which by calendar wouldn't occur until then-president-elect trump was president trump. >> colin, you were in that january 6th meeting. you say this is wrong. what did they get wrong? >> pretty much all of it. yeah, i was a standing member of the deputy's committee, i was the vice president's representative on that committee. the pentagon came to the white house shortly before christmas with a request for a generally expanded set of authorities for a raid like this.
8:10 am
but they never briefed the deputies or the cabinet on a particular raid. we did have a meeting on january 6th to discuss generic authorities to do stuff like this and the deputies concluded and made the recommendation to the president that they defer this to the trump administration because this was a significant escalation that would put our men and women in harms way in a very dangerous environment and the president didn't want to jam trump with that in the closing days of the administration. the president was then briefed on that recommendation to defer to trump. and he agreed. so that's what happened. and the reality is, apparently, you know, trump was briefed on this by his new secretary of defense, jim mattis, who i respect an enormous amount, and joe dunford, over dinner with very few members of the government present, and green lit the raid, and it went sideways. and the pentagon is now on record saying that they did not ask for the authority to do this raid, nor this moonless night issue, until after january 20th.
8:11 am
so pretty much everything that sean spicer said was false. >> what about the moonless night bit? he said the only thing that held it up from not happening under obama was that the next moonless night was going to be when trump took office. >> it's fan fiction. the reality was there was never an operation or raid briefed to the obama administration, period. there was not a decision about, we could do the raid but it would have to be on a moonless night and that would have to happen after trump came into office. the decision was whether there should be more of these type of things in general and the deputy said no, not under our administration, this should be a decision for the next team. >> so are you saying sean spicer is lying? can you both be right? >> we cannot both be right. i don't know whether he's lying or he was reading off of a piece of paper that had the wrong information. but what he said during that press conference was false. >> colin kahl, thanks for coming in, really appreciate it. >> sure. we'll go to the white house
8:12 am
and see what else they can give us on these details. we'll get back to you after that. from the integrity of national security to the integrity of the voting system. widespread, coordinated illegal voting has been president trump's defense for why he didn't win the popular vote in november. still no evidence provided there. now he and his staff are getting more specific with their allegations, but again, not with any evidence. this weekend, the president's senior policy adviser claimed people were bussed into new hampshire from massachusetts during the election to vote there illegally. trump lost that state to hillary clinton. listen here to more from stephen miller. >> i have actually, having worked before on a campaign in new hampshire, i can tell you that this issue of bussing voters into new hampshire is widely known by anyone who has worked in new hampshire politics, it's very real, it's very serious. this morning on this show is not the venue for me to lay out all the evidence. i can tell you this. voter fraud is a serious problem
8:13 am
in this country. but to new hampshire, talk to anybody who has worked in politics for a long time, everybody is aware of the problem in new hampshire. >> that's stephen miller. let's go to tom rath, former new hampshire attorney general, involved in new hampshire politics since the 1960s, been a new hampshire delegate and a senior adviser to the campaigns of republicans mitt romney, george w. bush, and bob dole. did i leave anything important out of your bio there? >> i had an interesting moment here, given the perspective we're trying to bring to this. >> safe to say, you know new hampshire politics. you not only call the allegations, what you heard from stephen miller there, baseless, you also called the talk of it, when the talk included of course donald trump talking about it in a meeting with lawmakers, talk of this shameful. please explain. >> well, i think if you're going to make allegations of
8:14 am
wrongdoing particularly something like an election that goes to the core of our democracy, you have an obligation to be truthful and forth right and have a factual basis for the allegations you're making. in this case, the comments i saw from mr. miller yesterday are not connected to reality. they did not happen. i think people should start talking about it. that did not happen. people were not bussed in here illegally to vote. that did not happen. >> tom, when you see these claims, though, not just coming out from anybody, coming out from the white house, from the president, from the president's senior policy adviser no less, what do you say? >> well, in new hampshire, we take our elections very seriously. it's really an awful lot about who we are, how we see ourselves, why we have the first in the nation primary. and i think anybody who is going to call into question the legitimacy of that process, wherever they sit but particularly if they're in a
8:15 am
public office, has an obligation to do so with a basis of facts and not rumors and have the ability to prove it. this case, they didn't have it. it is unfortunate. and i think one shouldn't spread rumors that have no basis in fact, no matter where you sit. >> voters in new hampshire elected a republican governor. do people voting illegally, in your experience, usually split tickets? >> we have election laws which guarantee fair elections, not perfect elections. can we tighten them up? sure, we can. can we do more with things like the current technology that has not yet been fully implemented, of course we can. but the basic integrity of these elections, given that it's run by people who have done elections for 30 and 40 years, some of them almost as old as i am, should not be questioned irresponsibly. >> stephen miller, the evidence
8:16 am
he provided for new hampshire voter fraud was none, other than saying talk to kris kobach, the secretary of state in kansas. kobach has agreed with donald trump's assertions that 3 to 5 million people voted illegally in the elections. he's a strong proponent that there was widespread voter fraud and illegal votes in the election. what's your message to kris kobach? >> i'll tell you, bussing people into new hampshire, no one has seen the busses. they're like the yettis, a great part of myth that doesn't occur. would you have enough to talk about that's serious and matters to people without creating false stories that have no basis in fact. if we're going to have this discussion, we'll have it based on fact, not innuendo. it's disappointing that people who have a high degree of responsibility don't base their comments on what's really happening. >> we'll continue to talk about
8:17 am
it and bring all the facts to it. tom rath, thank you so much. >> thank you. coming up for us, immigration raids in half a dozen states. is that new under president trump or is this business as usual? a former top official at i.c.e. is going to be joining me live. plus al franken says republicans are telling him they're worried about donald trump's mental health. not a joke. is that fair? we'll discuss. and breaking news out of california, america's tallest dam on the verge of breaking. hundreds of thousands evacuating as we speak. where's the car? it'll be here in three...uh, four minutes. are you kidding me? no, looks like he took a wrong turn. don't worry, this guy's got like a four-star rating, we're good. his name is randy. that's like one of the most trustworthy names! ordering a getaway car with an app? are you randy? that's me! awesome! surprising. what's not surprising? how much money erin saved by switching to geico. everybody comfortable with the air temp? i could go a little cooler.
8:18 am
ok. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. ♪ ♪ only tylenol® rapid release gels have laser drilled holes. they release medicine fast, for fast pain relief. fast enough to keep up with you so you can keep up with life. tylenol® ♪ by simply enjoying it. boost® simply complete. it's intelligent nutrition made with only 9 ingredients, plus 25 vitamins and minerals and 10 grams of protein. and look where life can take you! boost®. be up for it.™ you're gonna love birds eye steamwait for it.bles. in about five minutes you get delicious, premium veggies, steamed to perfection. now! ♪ ahhhhhhhhhhh... mmmm heavenly, right?
8:19 am
birds eye steamfresh. so veggie good.
8:20 am
why do so many businesses rely on the u.s. postal service? because when they ship with us, their business becomes our business. ♪ that's why we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. ♪ here, there, everywhere. united states postal service priority : you mattress firmness? fortunately there's a bed where you both get what you want every night. enter sleep number and the ultimate sleep number event, going on now. sleepiq technology tells you how well you slept and what adjustments you can make. she likes the bed soft. he's more hardcore. so your sleep goes from good to great to wow! only at a sleep number store. and right now save 50% on the ultimate limited edition bed. go to sleepnumber.com for a store near you.
8:21 am
immigrant rights activists and democratic lawmakers are raising the alarm over new raids that rounded up hundreds of undocumented immigrants. operations were carried out in at least half a dozen states across the country. these are the first to be carried out under the trump administration. joining me now to discuss is john torres, former acting director of immigration and customs enforcement and president of compliance guidepost solutions. john, thank you for coming in. >> my pleasure, kate. >> in your experience, put these numbers in context for everyone. hundreds of people picked up in raids in at least half a dozen
8:22 am
states. is this a spike? is this unusual? >> i can tell you what is unusual. while they may be targeting a number of criminals across the country, and they do this annually, operation cross-check takes place every year. in this case what's different is that the numbers you are seeing also include noncriminals, people that weren't part of their prioritization or targets. in the past, if they wanted to target a priority, they were let go. they weren't brought into custody. and what we saw over the weekend or this past week really is that they are now taking those people into custody too. >> so to kind of take a step further on that, president obama during his time in office was criticized by many immigration advocates for his aggressive deportation policies. he deported i think it was 2.4 some million in his time in office. the difference here is, we're seeing obama always said he was
8:23 am
focused on deporting violent criminals. the reports over the weekend is noncriminals were caught up in this. do you see this as a big difference, as something significant? i don't know if this fits into a category of a growing pain of an administration trying to get its feet under itself. >> i do see this as a subtle shift. one of the byproducts, the unintended consequences of many of these jurisdictions not cooperating with i.c.e. is that historically, if you targeted a criminal and they were already in custody, in jail, you could transfer them in that custodial setting from the jail right into federal custody. what you're seeing today now is that i.c.e. has to send agents out in the community to arrest those same people. >> john, let me jump in just one second. we're seeing right now new tape coming in of president trump meeting with the canadian prime minister, justin trudeau. let's listen. >> hello.
8:24 am
i think they might want a handshake. okay? >> thank you, press, thank you very much. >> thank you very much. >> you can go out through these doors. thank you very much. >> a lot to say in that meeting. a photo opportunity between the president and prime minister. they'll be holding a joint news conference in just a few hours, we'll bring that to you live. john, sorry to cut you off. i do want to ask you, when you look at these raids, we're now -- it's been three weeks since the president has been in office. but how much advanced -- how far
8:25 am
in advance are operations like this, coordinated in a half a dozen states, how far in advance are they planned? could they all have been planned out since the executive order from president trump was signed, i think it was just a little over two weeks ago? >> no, not operations of this size. maybe if you're going out to arrest a few people, two or three, maybe even five. but when you're talking hundreds in multiple cities across the country, it takes usually a couple of months, because there's a lot of vetting involved, research and analytics that have to go into setting up the targets and coordinating the logistics. >> so in your mind, this has been in the planning process since obama? >> absolutely, at least a couple of months. >> interesting. john torres, thanks, we really appreciate it. >> my pleasure, kate. coming up for us, it's only been 25 days but president trump's inner circle seems to be facing major disarray. several advisors report on thin ice, in the hot seat, whatever
8:26 am
metaphor you want to pick. who is going to go, anybody? when north korea launched its missile, donald trump and his team were sitting at dinner. did they openly discuss strategy in the middle of a dining room with japan's leader at the trump hotel?
8:27 am
(flourish spray noise) (flourish spray noise) (flourish spray noise) (flourish spray noise) the joy of real cream in 15 calories per serving. enough said. reddi-wip. (flourish spray noise) share the joy. [vo] quickbooks introduces he teaches lessons to stanley... and that's kind of it right now. but rodney knew just what to do...he got quickbooks. it organizes all his accounts, so he knows where he stands in an instant. ahhh...that's a profit. which gave him the idea to spend a little cash on some brilliant marketing! ha, clever. wow, look at all these new students! way to grow, rodney! know where you stand instantly. visit quickbooks.com.
8:28 am
mthat stuff only lasts a few hours. or, take mucinex. one pill fights congestion for 12 hours. guess i won't be seeing you for a while. why take medicines that only last 4 hours, when just one mucinex lasts 12 hours? let's end this. parts a and b and want more coverage, guess what? you could apply for a medicare supplement insurance plan whenever you want. no enrollment window. no waiting to apply. that means now may be a great time to shop for an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. medicare doesn't cover everything. and like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, these help cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. so don't wait. call now to request your free decision guide. it could help you find the aarp medicare supplement plan that works for you. these types of plans have no networks, so you get to choose any doctor who accepts medicare patients. rates are competitive,
8:29 am
and they're the only plans of their kind endorsed by aarp. remember - these plans let you apply all year round. so call today. because now's the perfect time to learn more. go long.
8:30 am
is it true that republican colleagues of yours expressed concern about president trump's mental health? >> a few. >> really? >> yeah. it's not the majority of them. it's a few. >> in what way? >> in the way we all have this suspicion that, you know, he's
8:31 am
not -- he lies a lot. he says things that aren't true. that's the same as lying, i guess. you know, 3 to 5 million people voted illegally, there was a new one about people going from massachusetts -- >> thousands and thousands in a bus. >> yeah. and, you know, that is not the norm for a president of the united states or actually for a human being. >> that's democratic senator al franken. and no laughing matter, citing unnamed republican senators as he speculates about the president's mental health. that will be our starting off point with paris dinard, and matt bennett. matt, first to you. you may not like the man in the oval office, but is it really
8:32 am
fair or a good use of senator franken's time talking about something like this publicly? >> kate, remember where this came up first. it was on the bill maher show first, he was kind of joking, he was talking about this in the context of a funny segment he was doing on a comedy show. then jake asked him about it yesterday. but the fact of the matter is, you don't have to be sigmund freud to think this guy has a fairly serious narcissistic personality order. he's consumed with himself. he's easily flattered and distracted. and as senator franken noted, he lies all the time. this is a serious problem. whether he's diagnosable or not not the issue. the question is, is he stable. >> paris? >> i was looking on the label to see if i saw "doctor" below
8:33 am
matt's name. i don't see how he or senator franken can say such things about the president of the united states. no one made claims about secretary clinton somehow needing clinical help or having some kind of a mental disorder. she lied about benghazi or when she told tales about her e-mail server and things of that nature. we need to be careful how we talk about people in public service and how we classify things, because these are important issues that we're dealing with, and there are people who actually do have disorders and do have problems which we should focus on. but to make these gross misrepresentations of the president's mental capacity i think is irresponsible and should end. and matt should start with it and the senator should know about. >> irresponsible, matt? >> i will stipulate i am not a medical professional. >> you play one on tv, though. no. >> exactly. but i will say this. the lying we've seen in the first three weeks of this
8:34 am
administration, that continued from the campaign and the transition, is unlike anything we have ever seen from any politician, republican or democrat, ever in the history of the united states. >> right. but can you just say he's wrong, he's not telling the truth, without going the route of saying the man has a mental health issue? >> sure, you could say that. i'm willing to stipulate to that. but i will say this. senator franken was reporting, probably accurately, what he was hearing from his republican colleagues in the senate. they are deeply concern about this, that this is going to hurt the united states first and it's going to hurt them politically, second. i'll bet some of them are speculating about that up there. >> we'll stop the speculating on this, at least right here. both of you guys worked in the white house. paris, you first. when you hear this string of reports now that the white house is in turmoil, flynn's on thin ice, questions about business leadership, ethical questions facing kellyanne conway, sean
8:35 am
spicer with issues apparently as well, you hear this and think what, paris? >> it's not good. i don't like the fact that there's leaks. when i worked at the white house, we didn't like leaks at all. there are times when leak, but t purposeful ones. even if these media reports are inaccurate, they're still coming out. it's creating a narrative of chaos, a narrative of unorganization. and that is not what you want when you want to create an image of power, of stability, of strength. and i know that's what's going on there, but they need to create a new narrative. and that new narrative has to come from within and get a good control on what's going on within the west wing and it has to start yesterday. >> matt, the clinton white house had problems of its own. growing pains here?
8:36 am
>> yes, probably. i would agree with paris that the leaks are terrible and need to stop, and the do need to get their act together. every white house has this, the obama national security adviser didn't last long, the clinton first chief of staff didn't last long. the difference here is this. steve bannon and others in this white house have said publicly that they believe in disruption, that they believe in keeping people off balance. what we don't know is whether some of this is intentional, and if it is, that's a kind of dangerous way to governing. and i hope it stops. >> i've read it that they believe in disruption of the system, maybe not necessarily in disruption within the white house. but maybe that's some of the fallout from it. guys, thanks very much. coming up, dinner and a missile launch. president trump facing his first major test coming from north korea, a missile test as he was sitting down with japan's prime minister at mar-a-lago. now other guests that were there
8:37 am
are leaking details of this strategy session. much more on the yet to be backed up with actual evidence voter fraud claims coming from the president and his senior policy adviser. when pushed for evidence, stephen miller cited the work of the kansas secretary of state, kris kobach. secretary kobach is joining us, ahead of don't pay hundreds more for taxes and fees on your wireless bill. introducing t-mobile one. now with taxes and fees included. get 4 lines of unlimited lte data for 40 bucks each. all unlimited. all in! switch to t-mobile today. won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back
8:38 am
including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
8:39 am
8:40 am
8:41 am
president trump facing a big early test after north korea launches a ballistic missile. apparently president trump discussed the strategy in a crowded dining room. this marks the first time the nation has challenged the international rule after donald trump took office. the news came while president trump was dining with japan's prime minister shinzo abe at the
8:42 am
mar-a-lago resort in palm beach. the dinner seemed to apparently turn into an impromptu strategy session. susan terry is a former analyst for the cia and advised democratic and republican presidents. thank you so much for coming in. you see this test, it does make everyone think back to presidents past. four months into president obama's term, north korea conducted a test. this may not come as a surprise to people who know this issue well. but what should presidents do in response? >> as you said, it's not a surprise, this was entirely predicted. what mr. trump should do is have a close coordination with allies, south korea and japan. he didn't mention south korea in the press conference. >> what do you think of that? >> i would like to believe it was an oversight, because south
8:43 am
korea is very important in the north korean issue. i think more pressure is needed for north korea in terms of sanctions, in terms of human rights issues, in terms of getting more information into north korea. there's a lot more that we could and should still do. >> not that anyone could get into the mind of kim jong un, but what is your sense that kim jong un wants to see happen? >> i think what he wants right now with this provocation is he wants to test mr. trump to see if he can get an offer of direct talks. kim jong un is not interested in giving up his nuclear weapons program. in fact he's staked his entirely legitimacy in perfecting the nuclear arsenal that his father and grandfather pursued in the cost of millions of dollars and lives. he wants to get international acceptance of north korea as a nuclear state. >> i presume your advice would be not to engage in those direct talks.
8:44 am
>> no. it's okay to feel them out but not by easing sanctions. >> this may not be a surprise that it came, but when it came and how it played out on the side of the americans is something a lot of folks are talking about. the test happened on saturday night as the president and prime minister of japan were in the middle of dinner at donald trump's florida resort. according to reports that i'm seeing, they remained at their table. their aides came up, ban consulting, taking phone calls, consulting documents, the aides using iphones to offer more light to see the documents because this was a candlelit dinner, all in full view of what looked to be a pretty packed dining room. and the waiters even continued to serve the table as these conversations were going on. i mean, you've advised many a president. is this a common setting for this kind of discussion? >> no. i'm surprised that they don't have an s.c.i.f.f., a sensitive
8:45 am
compartmented information facility, where you can leave your phones outside and have a classified discussion. this security practice was disconcerting, to say the least. >> sue mi terry, thank you so much. we'll bring you in much more to talk about this in the not too distant future. coming up, the trump team's voter fraud allegations. the president continues to make claims about widespread illegal voting without showing their every day. now the president's senior adviser is citing the work of kansas secretary of state crisco back. he joins us next. straight talk... ...so you can take and share pictures any time of day. with a network that helps you save the day... bunny! ...for half the cost. bunny wants to go one more time! here we go! alright, i'm coming home! get an iphone7. unlimited plans with 5gb of high-speed data start at just $45 a month...
8:46 am
...on america's largest, most dependable 4glte networks. straight talk wireless. only at walmart. the search for relief often leads here.s, today there's drug-free aleve direct therapy. a high intensity tens device that uses technology once only in doctors' offices. for deep penetrating relief at the source. aleve direct therapy.
8:47 am
youthat's why you drink ensure. sidelined. with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. for the strength and energy to get back to doing... ...what you love. ensure. always be you.
8:48 am
8:49 am
>> three million to five million illegal votes. no evidence has been backing that up. now they say thousands of illegal voters in new hampshire alone cost the president an election victory there. in a meeting with democratic lawmakers just last week -- just last week donald trump pushed that very same point, and -- i'm
8:50 am
sorry, control room. what? in a meeting with democratic lawmakers just last week they claim that voters were bussed in from massachusetts to new hampshire. where is the evidence there? steven miller, the president's policy advisor, didn't take that up when he took to cameras over the weekend, but he did have this to say. >> all right. so joining me now to discuss is the kansas secretary of state chris kovak. it's great for you to come in. steven miller says anyone month works in new hampshire knows this happened except every big name republican there. republicans i have spoken to
8:51 am
miller says look to you. where? >> i just got off the phone with the new hampshire secretary of state bill gardener, and he said this. so, as you know, new hampshire is a same day registration state. on election day 6,000 people registered in new hampshire using an out of state driver's license as their form of identification. of those 6,000 -- over 6,000, just under 3,000, so just under half used a massachusetts driver's license. some will be legit. they'll be people that just moved to new hampshire and hadn't yet gone a new hampshire driver's license, but many of those will be out of state residents who voted in the state. then we will have more information at the end of this month because new hampshire just joined a 30-state program where we compare data across states. kansas is the host of that program. we will see how many people voted in both new hampshire and in another state among the 29
8:52 am
other states. >> you truly do believe that thousands of people came from new hampshire to west virginia to vote -- >> what i know from the new hampshire's secretary of state office office 3,000 -- >> i thought you said 6,000. >> what i'm saying is -- 6,000 from some other states driver's license. of those 6,000, just under 3,000 were new hampshire -- were massachusetts. we do know that a lot of people did that, and we will have data at the end of the month how many of those 6,000 people voted in both new hampshire and in one of the other states on election day. >> mr. secretary, data at the end of the month, and you are saying -- no, no. wait a second. steven miller over the weekend just yesterday said that thousands did vote illegally. he said thousands and thousands did vote illegally. definitively saying that this actually happened. you are saying that there is going to be more data coming at the end of the month. do you have the evidence?
8:53 am
>> well, at the end of the month -- new hampshire just joined the program, by the way. we will -- this is the first time we will be looking at new hampshire's numbers. bill gardener had already made public the fact that we had 6,000 people register in new hampshire on election day with another state's driver's license. see, that's the key clue there. >> voter registration programs does not equal problem votes. >> of the 30 states, we have about three million people who are registered in more than one state, and that's not including -- that's just an administrative book keeping -- >> including the president's son-in-law, including the president's treasury secretary. >> exactly. yeah. and many of your viewers are probably registered in more than one state. what is a crime is if you actually vote in both of those states or in more than two states. >> of course, it's a crime, but where is the evidence of this widespread rampant millions of people voting? if it had happened, why haven't
8:54 am
we seen it, secretary? >> i don't know if your network has covered it, but just in my state, people voting in kansas and another state, my office prosecutes it. i just got that presidential authority a year and a half ago. >> from the notes, you have nine cases. >> we have six guilty pleas. >> one dismissed, two pending. that's since january 25th. six cases does not widespread rampant voter fraud make. >> those cases are just at the top of the list. we have a very small office. we have only about two attorneys working on these cases. there will be more coming up. my point is kansas is ae smait small state, and if you have a significant number of double votes, fraud lent votes in kansas, take a state that's very large, like california or texas, or take a state like new hampshire where people flood in every year because of the very popular new hampshire primary, which draws so much activity. >> i spoke with a former attorney general. a man who has been in new hampshire politics for decades.
8:55 am
the way he described this when talking about people being bussed in from massachusetts to new hampshire to vote on election day, not based in reality. irresponsible. it's like the yeti. you can keep talking about it, but you're not going to find it. this is a republican. >> well, this is the -- let's not get focused on a red herring here. it doesn't matter whether the person from out of state is bussed in or if the person from out of state registered when they were working there in february during the primaries and then votes by mail. >> steven miller made a point of people being bussed in, mr. secretary. >> it can be both. non-new hampshire residents can vote in new hampshire by being bussed in or by voting by mail or driving themselves. >> new hampshire -- >> we have much harder numbers at the end of the month, but, look, hey, we have 6,000 people -- >> mr. secretary, folks in new hampshire also voted and elected a republican governor in that very same election. how often is it that people who are going to be brought in no matter how what to vote illegally will split a ticket?
8:56 am
>> well, you know, one of the interesting things we found in prosecuting this crime in kansas is that both republicans and democrats do it. it seems people realize that they are actually registered in two states, and some people, a small minority, but some people are tempted to go ahead and cast ballots in both states. it's a bipartisan problem. >> a small minority does not make millions of widespread rampant illegal votes in this country. >> well, but it -- in new hampshire -- but in new hampshire we have 6,000 prospective cases. we'll find out what percentage of those 6,000 are legit new hampshire residents and what percentage are actually not new hampshire residents. >> i appreciate it. i can't wait to see that evidence. 6,000 prospective cases -- >> the margin is pretty narrow. >> 6,000 prospective cases -- >> the margin was pretty narrow. only 1,000 votes. >> what steven miller and the president said over the weekend is this is exactly why they lost in new hampshire. not saying these prospective cases. >> it was a close race. >> they said illegal votes.
8:57 am
rad >> as you know, in a close race, which we had in new hampshire -- >> you don't have the evidence yet, mr. secretary. even if it comes true in a month, you don't have the evidence yet. can you acknowledge that? >> i just gave you the evidence from the new hampshire -- i gave the -- >> prospective. prospective prospective is not confirmed. prospective does not mean illegal votes. >> and we will be -- and we will know at the end of the month which -- what percentage of those 6,000 are cases of people who do not actually reside in new hampshire. >> then let us continue this conversation in one month. appreciate it. thank you so much, mr. secretary. >> all right. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> coming up next, news just in involving trump's national security advisor, michael flynn. of course, under fire for a phone call that he made -- a conversation he had with russia. trump claims he didn't know, but now we're hearing donald trump's thoughts on the incident for the first time. be right back. i was working in the yard, my chest started hurting and i thought, well, you need to go to the doctor. i was told that is was cancer, and i called cancer treatment centers of america. dr. nader explained that they can pinpoint the treatment.
8:58 am
once we identified that there was this genetic abnormality in her tumor, we were able to place her on very specific therapy. our individualized care model gives each lung patient specific treatment options with innovative procedures that are changing the way we fight lung cancer. we have excellent technology that allow us to perform very specialized procedures for patients who have lung disease. to learn more about these targeted therapies and advanced procedures for lung cancer, as well as the experienced physicians who deleliver them, go to caceer.com when he showowowowed me the cat scans, i was somazed. with this treatment, she had a dramatic response. call or go to cancercenter.com cancer treatment centers of america. care that never quits. appointments avale now.
8:59 am
9:00 am
zpliefrmts welcome to "inside politics." another busy monday. canada's prime minister is at the white house this hour. president trump and justin trudeau have vastly different views on immigration and refugees, but are determined to get off to the best start. >> we want to strengthen the middle class and support those working hard to join it, and that's what we're going to be

100 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on